Photo

Trekies and...?

34 replies to this topic

Poll: SW Fans General nick (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What should SW fans be called?

1. Warsies (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Stawas (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Warrers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Stormies (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

5. Adepts of the Force (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

6. Starwarsies (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

7. Other (Please post your idea.) (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

CessnaDriver (I'd love to get my PPL, BTW)...

Can we not argue that even though ST came out in the 60's SW did revolutionize both movies and the way movies are produced. The general public never really got into ST it as it wasn't marketed to them. Probably one of the reasons for ST1 coming out in 80.

I love both series BTW...

Star Wars IS the reason TMP was produced. Paramount was sitting there watching the success of Star Wars and the directors meeting went something like this: "Don't we have something like that already?"

Posted Image

#22 KAllen-bortaS

KAllen-bortaS

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

How about.................

LOSERS!!!
Lt.Cmdr. K'Allen vestai-bortaS
Quadrant Commander, Cold Revenge Quadrant
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House cha'DIch of the House of bortaS
Klingon Assault Group www.kag.org

#23 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

How about.................
LOSERS!!!

How about....... four word posts. ;)

http://www.trekfansu...?act=boardrules
20. Spamming the forum in a blatant attempt to raise your post count is in violations of the rules of this forum and will not be tolerated. If you have something constructive to say and wish to add your thoughts to a discussion, then by all means feel free to engage the topic; however, if it is determined that your one sentence or one word posting have no value beyond raising your post numbers you may be subject to disciplinary action. As a rule, ever post should have a minimum of one sentence, or be no less then four words. Also. posts that only contain emoticons and/or pictures and no words are unacceptable. Also see rule 12.

Posted Image

#24 cross_jon

cross_jon

Commodore

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Hair -- it may not have been THE reason, but it must have been like 98% of it. The studios were barely awake in the 70's and most of the crap that came out then reflects it. So SW needed to change the environment, but before that the studios had to recognize that public desires had changed (And I'm sure those early directors meetings were ugly...). Remember they thought Lucas was nuts to preview THX to an audience before he released it. Now look at how many movies are tweaked (even with alternate endings) due to preview feedback. Typical knee-jerk reaction to strategic business decisions -- drives me up the wall sometimes... (I'm a technical MBA, BTW)
Help us fight cancer -- Join GRID and Team Trek-United...
Posted Image

#25 Joe65

Joe65

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

I just want to thank everyone (with the possible exception of KAllen-bortaS) for their thoughts. I'm kind of disappointed w/ the number of votes, but I understand how that goes. I will continue to welcome ideas.

#26 CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Star Trek was coming back to TV until they decided to make it into a film.
Star Wars success influenced the movie decision. But the TV decision was made before the premiere of Star Wars in theaters in May 1977.

I think I would have much preferred a new TV series with Kirk then then the movies. Oh well.

Many of the first scripts were recycled for TNG.

Trek was coming back in some form, regardless of a movie called Star Wars.
It HAD already come back in the Animated Series in 1973 when you really think about it.

http://www.memory-al..._Trek:_Phase_II

Star Trek: Phase II (also known as Star Trek II) was planned to be the first live-action spin-off series of Star Trek: The Original Series.

In 1977, Paramount Pictures began working on the idea of launching a new television network. Following the rapid growth of Trek fandom, and a general growing interest in science fiction programming, Paramount drew up plans to launch a new Star Trek series as the network's flagship programme, covering a second five-year mission. The Enterprise was to be refit, and new characters were to be introduced. By July, construction on the sets began, and the writers' and directors' guide was published in August, with the premiere expected in spring of 1978.

The original cast returned to reprise their roles (with the notable exception of Leonard Nimoy as Spock), alongside several new characters: Xon (replacing Spock as science officer), navigator Ilia and first officer Willard "Will" Decker.

However, as preproduction finished, and work was scheduled to begin on the feature-length pilot, "In Thy Image", the network deal fell through, and, influenced by the success of Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Paramount chose to turn the pilot into a full feature, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, so as to recoup the costs already underwritten.

Several scripts already completed were later used as episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. In fact, many of the series concepts from Phase II would become the basis of TNG, such as the "lost love" relationship between new first officer Decker and Ilia would lead to similar scenes in TNG Season 1.
Letters Division Member

Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: You know, if Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illogical human being by taking on a mission like that. Sounds like fun!

#27 emony

emony

Commander

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

I've only ever heard star wars fans.
I like star wars and i've never been labeled anything other than star wars fan.
A true hero can bear any amount of pain...as long as it doesnt hurt

#28 JoannaPoe

JoannaPoe

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:25 AM

Geez, can't sci-fi fans get together anywhere without debating the relative merit of various entries into the genre? I love both. Period, end of story. :rolleyes:

I'm cool with "Star Wars Fan", though I've heard Starheads, Starwoids, Star Warriors and Jedites.

At my office we call most of the Star Wars fans "IT guys"! :P

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your browser history when you die.

ST: Unity

#29 cross_jon

cross_jon

Commodore

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:15 AM

^ good one -- we IT people seem to have that "problem" everywhere then...
Posted Image

#30 JoannaPoe

JoannaPoe

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

Well it's not undeserved at my office at least; for Christmas, the IT manager bought everyone in his department toy lightsabers! :D And hey, if the shoe fits! They all took half the day off together for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Tuesday too, so they're well rounded.

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your browser history when you die.

ST: Unity

#31 cross_jon

cross_jon

Commodore

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

well, sharing the toy lightsabers is a bit much. I'd rather keep them myself in case we get invaded...
Posted Image

#32 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

:lol: :lol: Trekies and Warries??? :naughty3dg: :P
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...

Olórin (Gandalf): Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Legolas:"Boe a hyn... Neled herein - dan caer menig."
Aragorn:"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras."
Legolas:"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen-ú-erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer."
Aragorn:"Then i shall die as one of them!"
Posted Image
Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie? (Do you speak Elvish?)

#33 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Went for others....I just call myself a Star Wars fan.

Edited by JayTheTrekkie, 18 October 2007 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Other. I have always liked Star Wars fan also. I would say that is my personal choice.

#35 cap97

cap97

Ensign

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

I don't think any of those strike a chord with me. Heck I don't know... ForceMongers -- ???

I like ForceMongers! :lol:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users