Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:53 PM

http://today.reuters...E-STARWRECK.xml

Free Internet "Star Trek" spoof is top Finnish film
Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:24 AM ET6

HELSINKI (Reuters) - A spoof of science-fiction classic "Star Trek" has become Finland's most viewed movie, relying on free distribution over the Internet to reach more than three million viewers in less than two months.

"Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" is a full-length feature in Finnish with English subtitles. It was made by a group of students and other amateur film makers with a bare-bones budget and a few home computers to create elaborate special effects.

According to the Finnish Internet hosting firm Magentasites Oy, which is helping to distribute Star Wreck, 2.92 million copies have been downloaded from the film's Web site (http://www.starwreck.com) since October 1, and an estimated 600,000 copies have gone out through various mirror sites.

Finland's most-viewed film in the movie theatres is war epic "The Unknown Soldier" (1955) with 2.8 million viewers.

The success of Star Wreck comes as the film industry grapples with the threats and opportunities of the Internet.

Movie studios are fearful of the rampant piracy that has ravaged their music label counterparts, but are also hoping to use the Internet to cut distribution costs and open up new markets.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:31 PM

It's very good and funny. Production quality is very high-end. I did a piece about them on SoSF when they first launched. I also burned a DVD of the movie. It really looks and sounds good on the big screen TV and surround sound. Really good stuff and not surprised at it's popularity.

Edited by Shlomi of Vulcan, 21 November 2005 - 03:31 PM.

"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#3 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

Without a doubt, it is a great production, well thought out and executed. These guys have truly evolved to a professional level since Star Wreck I.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#4 Cris Carter

Cris Carter

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Sorry to bump this old topic. But I d like to add my opinion too. I think it was the best fan film ever made. I ve watched it the 10th time today. I can always laugh about the jokes in there.

I hope there will be another part of this legacy soon :)
Posted Image

Now in Season 1
[
Crewmanifest | Join the Crew | Ship Tour | Read the Episodes | Visit my Blog
| Contact me ]

"I am a TNG addict..."

#5 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

Sorry to bump this old topic. But I d like to add my opinion too. I think it was the best fan film ever made. I ve watched it the 10th time today. I can always laugh about the jokes in there.

I hope there will be another part of this legacy soon :)

Oh, it's good, but I think the latest episode of New Voyages Phase II gives it a run for it's money. ;)

Posted Image

#6 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

Have you seen the Imperial Edition yet? They re-rendered all ship shots so that they don't look quite identical to ST and B5, and got a distribution deal with Universal Pictures in Scandinavia, so I have a store-bought DVD. Anyone can buy the DVD from the star wreck site, although unfortunately it's only available in region 2.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#7 Cris Carter

Cris Carter

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

To be honestly I dont like the Imperial Edition. The Ships look odd to me :P
Posted Image

Now in Season 1
[
Crewmanifest | Join the Crew | Ship Tour | Read the Episodes | Visit my Blog
| Contact me ]

"I am a TNG addict..."

#8 RogueEntity

RogueEntity

::Resident Dragon::

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Have you seen the Imperial Edition yet? They re-rendered all ship shots so that they don't look quite identical to ST and B5, and got a distribution deal with Universal Pictures in Scandinavia, so I have a store-bought DVD. Anyone can buy the DVD from the star wreck site, although unfortunately it's only available in region 2.

I'll probably end up getting that.. and as for the region.. well it makes a change from the plethora of content that is "only" Region 1.. roll on MultiRegion Players :lol:
"Difficult takes a few seconds; impossible, a few minutes" - McKay

#9 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:41 AM

You should definitely get it. Maybe then we'll see Iron Sky one day as well, a commercial movie the guys are producing. You might be relieved to find that they intend to hire professional actors for it...

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#10 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:38 AM

Since the renewed interest in this thread some of you may want to read the transcript of the chat we did with the producers of Star Wreck.

HERE

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#11 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

That one was a great read, too bad I missed the chat, though...

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#12 Sareth

Sareth

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

I saw the film a couple of days ago and rolled on the floor laughing! VERY GREAT STUFF! Especially the mix with Babylon "5" ....
Sareth
Visit Romulan Legacy
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users