starship creator warp 2

27 replies to this topic

#1 daricsoldar

daricsoldar

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:47 PM

does anyone know how to get this to work on windows xp? i changed the resolution, windows compatibility, disabled visual themes, blah blah blah but it keeps saying to insert the CD. i use xp pro btw.

thanks.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:46 PM

i can't figure it out either, i don't that there is a way

#3 Igor

Igor

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

does anyone know how to get this to work on windows xp? i changed the resolution, windows compatibility, disabled visual themes, blah blah blah but it keeps saying to insert the CD. i use xp pro btw.

thanks.

try downloading a NoCD crack for the program, that should stop it lookin for the CD...
If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.
- Dr. Ernesto "Che" Guevara de la Serna

Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel.
- Dr. Ernesto "Che" Guevara de la Serna

Religion is the opium of the masses.
- Karl Marx

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery,
None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of CVs in the bin without reading them."
- David Brent (Ricky Gervais) [The Office]

#4 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:26 AM

depends on build. newer biulds don't like taste of it
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#5 le_dartagnan

le_dartagnan

Commodore

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

How to use
Star Trek Creator Warp 2 on XP ?
-------------------------------

1. Install Virtual PC 2004 (now available for free from Microsoft website)

2. Make a virtual Hard Drive

3. Install Win98 or Win95

4. Install Star Trek Creator Warp 2

5. Enjoy
========================================================

I've tried it and it works great.

Virtual PC uses virtual hardware, so whatever your physical soundcard or video card
it's all configured via the internal virtual hardware.
Look in the Virtual PC Help for more info.

#6 elminster

elminster

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

There is an answer. I have worked out how to do it. There are some pre-requisites however, but here goes.

Ingredients

1 x copy of Starship Creator Warp 2 CD
1 x copy of Starship Creator or Starship Creator Deluxe CD (called CREATOR when placed in the CD/DVD drive)
1 x computer running windows XP

Optional (but very handy)
1 x Computer running Linux (I used Ubuntu Hardy Heron to assist in this process) You will see why later.
1 x copy of Daemon Tools Lite (allows you to run Warp 2 from an iso, so you can put the original away), or you can burn a new CD
1 x USB Stick (at least 1 Gig)

Here we go, The Solution:-

Step 1 - Insert Starship Creator 1 or Starship Creator Deluxe into a Linux based computer. The reason for this is you need to copy the files off the CD and if you do it in Windows, a critical file won't copy.

Step 2 - On the Ubuntu (Linux) machine (or virtual ubuntu - using Virtual PC from WinXP to make a virtual PC), create a new folder on the desktop called Warp2.

Step 3 - Copy all files and folders from the Starship Creator 1 or Deluxe CD to the Warp2 folder (ensure the file and folder structure is preserved)

Step 4 - Open the Warp2 folder and locate the ShipMed folder. Open ShipMed and ensure the file called "icon[]" has copied (it will be 0 bytes - this is the file that cannot be copied using Windows)

Step 5 - Navigate back to the top directory of the folder (Warp2)

Step 6 - Eject the Starship Creator CD and insert the Warp2 CD instead

Step 7 - Copy everything from the Warp2 cd (except the \ShipMed\Audio\ folder, as this is identical) into the Warp2 folder as well. Check that a file called "ShipMed alias" sucessfully copies from the warp2 cd into the warp2\ShipMed\ folder (This is also a 0 bytes funky file similar to icon[] at step 4). I suspect that these 2 files are responsible for CD recognition (icon[] for Starship 1 and "ShipMed alias" for Warp2, which doesn't work)

Once the above is completed you will have a Warp2 Folder with a hybrid mix of Starship Creator and Starship Creator Warp 2 files (which can be used to runboth versions of the game)

Step 8 - Using the Ubuntu O/S burn the contents of the Warp2 folder to a CD (or and iso) labelled Warp2.

Step 9 - Use this CD on the WinXP machine (or transfer the iso with a USB Stick to the WinXP machine for use in Daemon Tools) to launch Warp2. The game will operate as it should without any need for compatibility mode.

I stumbled on this when I launched Warp2 with the Starship Creator 1 / Deluxe CD in the drive by accident. Warp2 belived the CD was valid, and it worked fine until I tried to create a bird of prey (which of course could not be found on the CD because it was from a previous release). It occured to me that it might be possible to trick the Warp2 CD using the Starship1 CD with Warp2 Game files copied onto it. This is why the above works

regards
elminster

#7 elminster

elminster

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Just another note:

So far I have got every Star Trek product to work in WinXP except for Klingon Immersion Studies, and Generations.
They all run off iso files using Daemon Tools so I can archive my originals. The only one that still requires the CD is Encyclopedia 3.0

The List of Trek Games running in XP (Service Pack 3) successfully (using patches, CD drive letter adjustments in the registry or ini files, older versions of quicktime, and compatibility mode) Google is your friend, but if you can't find, I can help. No need for DOSBox or Virtual PC. All in native XP

- A Final Unity (VDMSound and patched installer)
- Armada
- Armada II
- Away Team
- Birth of the Federation
- Borg
- Bridge Commander
- Dominion Wars
- Elite Force (This tricky to run from an iso - hint the Elite Force expansion pack is unprotected, and can be used instead of the Elite Force CD to launch)
- Elite Force II
- Encyclopedia 3.0 (Still requires CD in drive, haven't sussed out an iso solution yet)
- Harbinger (VDMSound is the key)
- Harbinger Holosuit Missions Demo CD (VDMSound again)
- Hidden Evil
- Interactive Technical Manual (requires Quicktime 2.1.2 to be installed). This is tricky, need to remove quicktime 7 first, install 2.1.2 and Quicktime 4 while you
are at it (for Starship Creator) before putting Quicktime 7 back on. This could be a problem for itunes users. I have not put QT7 back on because its installer
is nothing short of severely flawed. I use VLC to view mov files other than those needed by Simon and Schufter Trek Games (QT2 and 4)
- Klingon Academy (Look for the DVD Creation Kit solution). The trick for iso use is in a .cfg where the CD drive letter is hidden. Notepad can handle it because
it is just a text cfg file
- Legacy (designed for XP anyway)
- New Worlds
- Omnipedia
- Omnipedia (Picard Dossier) - Still requires CD in drive for this one too (despite changing the ini file to the daemon tools mounted iso.
- Starfleet Academy (As with Klingon Academy, you can make a DVD of the 5 disks and keep Chekov's disk 6 seperate). The trick for iso use is in a .cfg where
the CD drive letter is hidden. Notepad can handle it because it is just a text cfg file
- Starfleet Command 1, 2 (Empires), 2 (Orion) and 3 (There are wiki's for these)
- Starship Creator and Creator Deluxe
- Starship Creator Warp 2 (above)
- DS9 The fallen

Can't Get working in XP (Yet):-
Generations - Crashes when beaming to Amagosa (apparently due to AGP 2X inflexibility, if your card or motherboard only supports 4X or above it won't run)
Klingon (Simon and Schufter) - General Protection fault on the Immersion Studies (Language Lab works okay though)

Untried - Still to acquire:-
Captain's Chair (can't find a copy for sale)
Conquest Online - enroute from ebay
Honor Guard - enroute from ebay

regards
elminster

#8 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Just another note:

So far I have got every Star Trek product to work in WinXP except for Klingon Immersion Studies, and Generations.
They all run off iso files using Daemon Tools so I can archive my originals. The only one that still requires the CD is Encyclopedia 3.0

The List of Trek Games running in XP (Service Pack 3) successfully (using patches, CD drive letter adjustments in the registry or ini files, older versions of quicktime, and compatibility mode) Google is your friend, but if you can't find, I can help. No need for DOSBox or Virtual PC. All in native XP

- A Final Unity (VDMSound and patched installer)
- Armada
- Armada II
- Away Team
- Birth of the Federation
- Borg
- Bridge Commander
- Dominion Wars
- Elite Force (This tricky to run from an iso - hint the Elite Force expansion pack is unprotected, and can be used instead of the Elite Force CD to launch)
- Elite Force II
- Encyclopedia 3.0 (Still requires CD in drive, haven't sussed out an iso solution yet)
- Harbinger (VDMSound is the key)
- Harbinger Holosuit Missions Demo CD (VDMSound again)
- Hidden Evil
- Interactive Technical Manual (requires Quicktime 2.1.2 to be installed). This is tricky, need to remove quicktime 7 first, install 2.1.2 and Quicktime 4 while you
are at it (for Starship Creator) before putting Quicktime 7 back on. This could be a problem for itunes users. I have not put QT7 back on because its installer
is nothing short of severely flawed. I use VLC to view mov files other than those needed by Simon and Schufter Trek Games (QT2 and 4)
- Klingon Academy (Look for the DVD Creation Kit solution). The trick for iso use is in a .cfg where the CD drive letter is hidden. Notepad can handle it because
it is just a text cfg file
- Legacy (designed for XP anyway)
- New Worlds
- Omnipedia
- Omnipedia (Picard Dossier) - Still requires CD in drive for this one too (despite changing the ini file to the daemon tools mounted iso.
- Starfleet Academy (As with Klingon Academy, you can make a DVD of the 5 disks and keep Chekov's disk 6 seperate). The trick for iso use is in a .cfg where
the CD drive letter is hidden. Notepad can handle it because it is just a text cfg file
- Starfleet Command 1, 2 (Empires), 2 (Orion) and 3 (There are wiki's for these)
- Starship Creator and Creator Deluxe
- Starship Creator Warp 2 (above)
- DS9 The fallen

Can't Get working in XP (Yet):-
Generations - Crashes when beaming to Amagosa (apparently due to AGP 2X inflexibility, if your card or motherboard only supports 4X or above it won't run)
Klingon (Simon and Schufter) - General Protection fault on the Immersion Studies (Language Lab works okay though)

Untried - Still to acquire:-
Captain's Chair (can't find a copy for sale)
Conquest Online - enroute from ebay
Honor Guard - enroute from ebay

regards
elminster

Yeah, that sounds cool.

Don't suppose you know which ones work on Vista, I wanna get Starship creator, but dnt hav a clue if it works on Vista and dnt wanna pay out £10+ for nothing, lol.
http://ds-10.starfleetuk.org <--- USS Paladin, Sovereign Class, Obsidian Fleet
http://anne.epsilonf...x.php?page=main <--- USS Anne, Ambassador Class, Epsilon Force

"A Female's in the House, She Must be Mounted." - Alan Harper About Charlie Harper's sleeping with Judith's new sister-in-law, Two and a Half Men

#9 Williams

Williams

'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team 'Doctor Who' Researc

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

This is posted here: Link.

Star Trek: Away Team
Star Trek: Klingon Academy
Star Trek: Elite Force
Star Trek DS9: The Fallen
Star Trek: Starfleet Command I, II & III
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
Star Trek: Armada I & II
Star Trek: Hidden Evil
Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary Edition
Star Trek: Judgment Rites
Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity
Star Trek: Bridge Commander
Star Trek: Captain's Chair
Star Trek: Starship Creator I, II
Star Trek: New Worlds

All of these I've tested on many settings in Vista, and they've worked quite well, so far.

Consensus seems to be SP1 is a must.. and it'll work fine :)

Hope I have been of help, Starship Creator is one amazing game, geeky as hell.. but then you wouldnt be here if that wasnt the case :P
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King.

Posted Image- Targ & Duck Pub! Now open for business :)

#10 elminster

elminster

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, that sounds cool.

Don't suppose you know which ones work on Vista, I wanna get Starship creator, but dnt hav a clue if it works on Vista and dnt wanna pay out £10+ for nothing, lol.

Yes, I acquired Captain's Chair from ebay. I could not get it to work in XP, but it works in Vista. I have not checked the rest yet. Will begin that project soon.

8-)

#11 Kaziarl

Kaziarl

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

I tried the virtual pc trick on Star Trek Klingon that i just picked up in an antique store of all places. Anyway, it works like a charm. I would assume it works for the majority, if not all of the older games.

#12 neb220

neb220

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

I have Starship creator warp 2, And a laptop that runs on xp, and one that runs on vista, i have tried the whole vitural pc thing bu it dosent seem to boot up correctly, and seems overly complicated.

I realize a i may be asking alot, but could anyone provide a step by step solution if there is one?

#13 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

Sadly the further we get away from the old DOS based OSs, the more complicated it gets to bypass the OS to make it run. Long story short, if you are not technically adept, you need to either "geek up" or find someone who can do it for you if you want to run these legacy programs. I literallly have a milk crate full of them myself, and I am still trying to decide whether I want to go through the trouble of building up a legacy box so I can play them or just say to heck with it and circular file them.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#14 neb220

neb220

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

What about a cd crack or something, It seems that if you could get by why it wont find the cd, then it would work on anything.

#15 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

Only problem I see there is because of the nefarious rep of cracks, unless you know the cracker personally you are playing with fire as to whether you can trust whether the code might have unintended consequences like viruses that turn your PC into a bot using a backdoor virus or something. They aren't figuring you will run right to the cops if you are willing break the license agreement, which is a binding contract ;)
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#16 neb220

neb220

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

True, When i Tried the vitural pc it told me to select a root or something and reboot. Would i have to have a disc copy of windows 95 to install it? Thats where i got lost on that front. And i tried the daemon tools thing mentioned by someone earlier, but the proccess would fail to verify online and cancel installation.

#17 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

True, When i Tried the vitural pc it told me to select a root or something and reboot. Would i have to have a disc copy of windows 95 to install it? Thats where i got lost on that front. And i tried the daemon tools thing mentioned by someone earlier, but the proccess would fail to verify online and cancel installation.

Or Win98, or even WinME(recommended). They all run off the same kernel. When you select your root directory it is like adding another hard drive. The root is the primary, and the virtual is the secondary. The virtual drive is a second partition on the present drive. When you reboot it will give you a list of drives with OS and ask you to pick the one you want to use for that session. Just remember the older OS' don't support large drive sizes so you might have to look up your max supported drive size for that OS or it'll get ticked off at you. Also keep in mind when you create a second partition you are reducing the size of your primary partition equally, so expect your PC to run slower in XP because your maximum virtual memory size will be reduced too.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#18 neb220

neb220

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

I must be missing a step here, I install the VP and create a win98 operating partition and hard disk, the window says i need to reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in slected boot device. I had restarted and was not prompted with a partition selection, i tried hitting f12 for boot menu and selected hard disk but once i did that it started xp normally.

What have i missed?

#19 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

I must be missing a step here, I install the VP and create a win98 operating partition and hard disk, the window says i need to reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in slected boot device. I had restarted and was not prompted with a partition selection, i tried hitting f12 for boot menu and selected hard disk but once i did that it started xp normally.

What have i missed?

Have you loaded Win98?
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#20 neb220

neb220

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

I had asked before if i needed a disc of the win98 or win95, which i dont have. I assumed maybe the program since you could select a OS and i selected 98 would instal it. All i have is xp or vists discs.

Or maybe i just dont know how to load it through the program properly, or am missing something?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users