69 replies to this topic

#1 jenniferinstars

jenniferinstars

Trek4Tots East Coast Coordinator

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:09 AM

Hi
I just started in on the 1st of the Titan series of novels. Has anyone else?

I love to read all Trek Novels and have been excited to read new series of Titan. Does anyone want to start a book club? Or do we have one already and I missed it.
Trek4Tots East Coast Coordinator/ www.trek4tots.com
Cult Member~Bring on the Kool-Aid!
So long and thanks for all the fish!
<- Look at my new picture of Dave! He should have been father of my 1st two kids.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:26 AM

I've read the 1st one... although it had a Voyager feel to it. I had to go back and read one of the Lost Era books in order to understand a few things in Titan though :P
"Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it. Pain is a part of life. Sometimes it's a big part, and sometimes it isn't, but either way, it's part of the big puzzle, the deep music, the great game. Pain does two things: It teaches you, tells you that you're alive. Then it passes away and leaves you changed. It leaves you wiser, sometimes. Sometimes it leaves you stronger. Either way, pain leaves its mark, and everything important that will ever happen to you in life is going to involve it in one degree or another."

-White Night by Jim Butcher (pg 251)

#3 PhotonsBeFree

PhotonsBeFree

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:11 AM

Hi
I just started in on the 1st of the Titan series of novels. Has anyone else?

I love to read all Trek Novels and have been excited to read new series of Titan. Does anyone want to start a book club? Or do we have one already and I missed it.

View Post

A Star Trek book club is a great idea! I'm not all that into Star Trek books, but I'd read some if I had someone to discuss them with. It would be fun! :thumbsup:

#4 jenniferinstars

jenniferinstars

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:20 AM

I've read the 1st one... although it had a Voyager feel to it. I had to go back and read one of the Lost Era books in order to understand a few things in Titan though :P

View Post

That was a great series, and I was a fool to try and read one of them out of order.
I started from the beginning and was impressed. I am just getting started on Titan: Taking Wing. But I like it so far, the novels are one of my favorite things about Star Trek.

Books can lead you imagination where sometimes a picture on screen cannot.
Anyway if anyone is interested, read along we can chat about it in a couple weeks. If you cannot find it, I did on Amazon.com. I got it used for 3.95, such a deal!!
<- Look at my new picture of Dave! He should have been father of my 1st two kids.

#5 PhotonsBeFree

PhotonsBeFree

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

That was a great series, and I was a fool to try and read one of them out of order.
I started from the beginning and was impressed.  I am just getting started on Titan: Taking Wing. But I like it so far, the novels are one of my favorite things about Star Trek.

Books can lead you imagination where sometimes a picture on screen cannot.
Anyway if anyone is interested, read along we can chat about it in a couple weeks. If you cannot find it, I did on Amazon.com. I got it used for 3.95, such a deal!!

View Post

I just picked up a copy of Taking Wing and I'm almost done reading it, so I'm definitely in if you're going to do a book club or the like. As I said earlier, I don't read very many Star Trek books, so I'm pretty sure a lot of things are going over my head! :P

#6 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:10 PM

I just bought the 1st this weekend along with about 3 other Trek novels, but am going to read them in chronological order, so it will be a few days before I get to the 1st Titan book. Looking forward to the adventures of Will Riker though.

I loved the Lost Era Novels, especially the one with Sulu and Chekov, as well as the intriquing one with Uhura as Admiral-Starfleet Intel. Fascinating read.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#7 srm59

srm59

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:03 AM

I've been reading the Trek Novels for years. I especially been enjoying the SCE :trip: series lately. I have read the first Titan book after reading the "A Time To.. " series.

I've been getting my books as e-books for several years now. Originally reading the books on my commute on my Palm but have since moved up to reading it on my Pocket PC. The fonts and screen resolution is so much better.

I'm looking forward to the next Titan book.
:porthos:

Posted Image

#8 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

I have "Taking Wing" and I'm reading it. Being a particular fan of the Romulans and 'Nemesis', I have been looking forward to getting stuck into this. It is interesting how this writing partnership have attempted to resolve things like the diversity of titles put forward by other authors for the Romulan captial city, and other aspects of Romulan culture. It appears that they have taken account of the excellent "Twilight's Wrath" from 'Tales of the Dominion War.' and the 'Nemesis' novelisation. I am writing my own 'alternate timeline' sequel to 'Nemesis' and have resloved these things in an entirely different way. These guys have used the name 'Dartha' for the up-to-Neral era and 'Ki-Baratan' for afterwards...a bit like Peking and Beijing. Me? I found anothet title 'Tal'k'Shir' in the 'Voyager' trilogy 'Dark Matters' and so split the Romulan capital up into three distinct 'islands' (a bit like NYC) divided by expanses of water and gave each one of them a name! I made 'Dartha' the governmental captial, Ki-Baratan home of the military headquarters and domestic spaceport, and Tal'K'Shir the part where the Tal Shiar lurk and plot.

...I know, i sound like a right nerd...but these things do fascinate me! :blink:

#9 PhotonsBeFree

PhotonsBeFree

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:06 PM

I have "Taking Wing" and I'm reading it.  Being a particular fan of the Romulans and 'Nemesis', I have been looking forward to getting stuck into this.  It is interesting how this writing partnership have attempted to resolve things like the diversity of titles put forward by other authors for the Romulan captial city, and other aspects of Romulan culture.  It appears that they have taken account of the excellent "Twilight's Wrath" from 'Tales of the Dominion War.' and the 'Nemesis' novelisation.  I am writing my own 'alternate timeline' sequel to 'Nemesis' and have resloved these things in an entirely different way.  These guys have used the name 'Dartha' for the up-to-Neral era and 'Ki-Baratan' for afterwards...a bit like Peking and Beijing.  Me?  I found anothet title 'Tal'k'Shir' in the 'Voyager' trilogy 'Dark Matters' and so split the Romulan capital up into three distinct 'islands' (a bit like NYC) divided by expanses of water and gave each one of them a name!  I made 'Dartha' the governmental captial, Ki-Baratan home of the military headquarters and domestic spaceport, and Tal'K'Shir the part where the Tal Shiar lurk and plot.

...I know, i sound like a right nerd...but these things do fascinate me!  :blink:

View Post

I'm impressed with your creativity. Most fans just complain about these "contradictions", while you try to find a logical explanation. I wish more people were like that! :)

#10 Rhett Coates

Rhett Coates

Commodore

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

I'm impressed with your creativity. Most fans just complain about these "contradictions", while you try to find a logical explanation. I wish more people were like that! :)

View Post

I know of four of those people, and their names are:

MANNY COTO.....
JUDITH and GARFIELD REEVES-STEVENS.....
and
MIKE SUSSMAN.

You're right: it's fun to create ways that the so-called "discrepancies" in the various ST series' can eventually be worked out in a "most logical" way, to quote the Vulcans. The above four wonderful writers/imaginationers did it over and over with the fourth season of ENT. It's nice to hear we fans are still doing it in the novels!

:thumbsup:
~~~ Regarding the woman EVE, in TOS episode "Mudd's Women" ~~~

KIRK: "There's only one kind of woman--"
HARRY MUDD: "--or man, for that matter--"
KIRK: "--You either believe in yourself, or you don't."

(Truer Star Trek words were never spoken.)

"Good words. That's where ideas begin." --David Marcus, in ST2:TWOK)

A quote spoken by Tom Hanks, portraying the Train conductor, near the end of the film The Polar Express, describes the secret to a fulfilled life in a nutshell: "One thing about trains: it doesn't really matter where they're going; what matters is deciding to get on." (Now, if more people lived by that adage, Gene Roddenberry's vision might come about a lot faster! -- RC)

Posted Image

#11 PhotonsBeFree

PhotonsBeFree

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

I know of four of those people, and their names are:

MANNY COTO.....
JUDITH and GARFIELD REEVES-STEVENS.....
and
MIKE SUSSMAN.

You're right:  it's fun to create ways that the so-called "discrepancies" in the various ST series' can eventually be worked out in a "most logical" way, to quote the Vulcans.  The above four wonderful writers/imaginationers did it over and over with the fourth season of ENT.  It's nice to hear we fans are still doing it in the novels!

:thumbsup:

View Post

I agree completely. They brought a lot of creativity to the series!

#12 trmurray24

trmurray24

Commodore

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:28 PM

The first book of Titan is great, although, I was disappointed. I thought Riker was getting a Titan class starship, a behemoth not a Luna class.

#13 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

^^^I know what you mean.....'Luna' does sound a bit limp! With regard to discrepancies in the novels.....thank you..yeah, I actually find these helpful. Not only because it makes my imagination work just that little bit harder, but it helps to form the idea that a planet - in this case Romulus - is not a 'mono-culture', but a place with a living, shifting history. As many places on earth have changed their names, that is one way of trying to explain away differences, but I really like the idea of the Romulan Capital city being made up of distinctive regions. I have it in mind to really develop this a lot further because most of the action in my planned series of books will take place on Romulus and Remus (which has also been called Ch'Havran and Romii!) and I think places ought to be complex like the people who created them. I was fascinated to see in 'Taking Wing' that the writers had blessed Ki-Baratan with an ancient 'casbah'.........I had (and I'm not at that point quite yet) it in mind to create a 'Morrocan Souk' (based on the ancient and stunning city of Fes) in which just about everything you could possibly imagine could be bought (for a price) and all kind of interesting services could be purchased(!) from exotic fabrics, unguents and spices to 'pleasure androids' (slighty shop-soiled and fully reprogrammble) to 'personal assassins' ('You pay, they die!). Trouble is.....now it's going to look like plagarism LOL!

Still, my seamy 'Green Light' district in the Krokton Segment has already been written in, along with it's terrible 'Dinglhs' (Romulan greasy spoon caff) and disppointing strip joints ( :vomit: ) ..so maybe people think along the same lines when they think 'Romulans'!

#14 PhotonsBeFree

PhotonsBeFree

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:35 AM

So . . .when are we going to do that book club? Who will lead/organize it?

If no one else wants to do it, I'll volunteer. :)

#15 megabyte

megabyte

Commodore

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:18 AM

I have "Taking Wing" and I'm reading it.  Being a particular fan of the Romulans and 'Nemesis', I have been looking forward to getting stuck into this.  It is interesting how this writing partnership have attempted to resolve things like the diversity of titles put forward by other authors for the Romulan captial city, and other aspects of Romulan culture.  It appears that they have taken account of the excellent "Twilight's Wrath" from 'Tales of the Dominion War.' and the 'Nemesis' novelisation.  I am writing my own 'alternate timeline' sequel to 'Nemesis' and have resloved these things in an entirely different way.  These guys have used the name 'Dartha' for the up-to-Neral era and 'Ki-Baratan' for afterwards...a bit like Peking and Beijing.  Me?  I found anothet title 'Tal'k'Shir' in the 'Voyager' trilogy 'Dark Matters' and so split the Romulan capital up into three distinct 'islands' (a bit like NYC) divided by expanses of water and gave each one of them a name!  I made 'Dartha' the governmental captial, Ki-Baratan home of the military headquarters and domestic spaceport, and Tal'K'Shir the part where the Tal Shiar lurk and plot.

...I know, i sound like a right nerd...but these things do fascinate me!  :blink:

View Post

I like the way your brain wrinkles JulesLuvsShinzon. :naughty3dg: Nerds make the world go round, or prove it is round.

Yes the first book was good, I especially enjoyed the diverse crew roster of Titan. How the engineers accommodated all those species. I too look forward to more Cpt. Riker adventures.

I was fascinated by the challenge of imagining what Titan would look like while reading, so I entered a concept in the ship design contest. I am going to take a chance and put a link to my entry. But I really did it for the fun of creating the ship, not so much to win, (not like there is a grand prize of $$$ for winning lol).

I thought the ship should be stouter and structured it with the age old arch in mind, made for “A tough little ship.” Over sized docking bays for larger landing craft, lots of observation ports, things like that. Hope you guys enjoy.
(edited by, megabyte-09/03/05)
Hmm, book club, may be a nice thing! :D
(EDIT: It was a B!&@#$ getting that image up, lol)

#16 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

^^^First of all, may I congratulate for being able to link to imageshack...it doesn't like me at all (in fact I think it wants me dead!) and I have to use photobucket to host my images instead. I checked out your Titan design, and as well as the very professional presentation, I like the compactness of its design. I'm wondering how many people actually went in for that competition, as I reckon it would prove to be quite a pull for technically-minded Trekkers.

Naturally, being a nerd myself, I think nerds are great and should celebrate their nerdiness whenever and wherever they can! I have blokes jokily declaring undying love for me when I spout on about Trek trivia, because I am so damn full of it...especially about the Rommies! I realised that I was a hopeless geek about twenty years ago and I was doing a quiz at a convention and one of the questions was to identify a piece of incidental music that was only ever used the once in TOS.

...As I stuck up my hand and yelped "GAMESTERS OF TRISKELION!!!!!!!!!", I realised that I fully out of the closet!

#17 megabyte

megabyte

Commodore

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:22 AM

^^^First of all, may I congratulate for being able to link to imageshack...it doesn't like me at all (in fact I think it wants me dead!) and I have to use photobucket to host my images instead.  I checked out your Titan design, and as well as the very professional presentation, I like the compactness of its design.  I'm wondering how many people actually went in for that competition, as I reckon it would prove to be quite a pull for technically-minded Trekkers.

Naturally, being a nerd myself, I think nerds are great and should celebrate their nerdiness whenever and wherever they can!  I have blokes jokily declaring undying love for me when I spout on about Trek trivia, because I am so damn full of it...especially about the Rommies!  I realised that I was a hopeless geek about twenty years ago and I was doing a quiz at a convention and one of the questions was to identify a piece of incidental music that was only ever used the once in TOS.

...As I stuck up my hand and yelped "GAMESTERS OF TRISKELION!!!!!!!!!", I realised that I fully out of the closet!

View Post

Thanks JulesLuvsShinzon! It was fun creating. Don't know how many entered that contest, I'm curious also.
Nerds RULE! :vulcan: OMG! I new the "Trivia Question" and could hear the tune in my head!
But you get the prize for knowing the title, hat's off to you sir. lol :worthy:

#18 jenniferinstars

jenniferinstars

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:38 PM

Ok, I just finished my book! I really liked it, and I agree I love the diversity of the crew. I have more to say but I do not want to ruin it for other readers, but I will say this.... I am ready for the second book.

Well, I think Photonsbefree should set it up. I am jammed up with Trek for Tots and my own set of tots at home.

#19 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:04 AM

^^^I know what you mean.....'Luna' does sound a bit limp! 

View Post

Yeah and it's supposevely only a bit bigger than voyager :(

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#20 PhotonsBeFree

PhotonsBeFree

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:48 AM

Ok, I just finished my book! I really liked it, and I agree I love the diversity of the crew.  I have more to say but I do not want to ruin it for other readers, but I will say this.... I am ready for the second book.

Well, I think Photonsbefree should set it up. I am jammed up with Trek for Tots and my own set of tots at home.

View Post

Okay, so what do we do? Should I PM somebody in admin or something? :huh:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users