Didn't anyone here ENJOY this movie?

10 replies to this topic

#1 DOSMAN

DOSMAN

Commodore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

I, seriously, don't understand all the hate directed toward this film. Although I haven't seen it since just before the release of Episode II, I remember loving this movie, particularly the first time. It is lighter and happier in tone than Episodes II and III, but, despite popular belief right now, that's not a bad thing.

To me TPM is a repeat or modernization of the original Star Wars for a new audience, even though it has had and will have no where near the cultural influence of A New Hope. I don't remember ANH being all that thoughtful, BTW, but the interesting characters, setting, and unique VFX made that one a huge success. I believe TPM was similar, and exactly the right kind of restart for the Star Wars film franchise.

Jar-Jar IS annoying--I'll grant you that, but so is Anakin. Both are just acting according to their natures, IMO, and provide the comic relief that Chewbacca or the droids did in the original.

Now, don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed the arcs and character development of 'Empire' and RotJ, but this isn't an either/or situation here. The thing I like most about The Phantom Menace is how well it works as a *film*--how well it flows and is put together. This it has in common with A New Hope, but, unfortunately, not Episodes II and III (until the last hour or so). The presence of Qui-Gon Jin but not Hayden Christensen is also a benefit. :)

So, isn't there room for both types of Star Wars film (if they must be separated)? I find that the icon for all the TPM hate, Jar-Jar Binks, becomes less annoying as you get used to his presence (in future viewings).
Computer? Yep. Internet? Of course. >>> So put them to good use!

TrekCore - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, Movies, and Gaming

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:42 PM

I liked it, but I think we can all agree on that is was the worst SW movie. It was made too much for kids.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#3 Nicole

Nicole

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:35 AM

I liked the movie, i know some people thought it was stupid but i enjoyed it.
Posted Image

#4 trek_dude

trek_dude

Time Traveling Counterist from the planet Gallifrey

• Members
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:39 AM

I liked TPM, i even liked Jar Jar Binks.
League of the Non Alligned Sci Fi Club - join the real life chatroom.
www.LOTNA.org.uk

#5 Darth Paris

Darth Paris

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

I liked it, but I think we can all agree on that is was the worst SW movie. It was made too much for kids.

I agree 100 percent. When my neighbor, who is not a scifi fan, went to see episode II she complained about how it didn't have that guy with the funny ears and that the movie wasn't funny so she did like it as much as episode I. Even if I had thought Binks was funny the first time he wasn't going to be the second, third, fourth... time. Humor can have a place in science fiction, if its smart humore that enriches the characters. (Farscape, Firefly) When the humor is slapstick and the only point of the character is to get a cheap laugh then that is bad writting. Episode I stands out as a stark contrast to the other five films.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Remember The USS Cole, London, Bali, Madrid, Tunisia, Kenya and Tanzania, Riyadh, Amman, 9/11: New York, The Pentagon, and Pennsylvania

#6 Gidga

Gidga

Commander

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:55 PM

Too much like child's play for me...no real danger. I did like the lightsaber duels, though.
Posted Image

Wanna play? Official rules here

#7 SirPhilip86

SirPhilip86

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

the only thing that was really good in phantom menace was the lightsaber fight at the end.
" JOIN THE ANTI-BUNNY ALLIANCE AND STOP THEM FROM WREAKING HAVOC IN AUSTRALIA!"

#8 trek_dude

trek_dude

Time Traveling Counterist from the planet Gallifrey

• Members
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

the only thing that was really good in phantom menace was the lightsaber fight at the end.

oh i loved that lightsaber fight, two single bladed lightsabers against a double edged , brilliant
League of the Non Alligned Sci Fi Club - join the real life chatroom.
www.LOTNA.org.uk

#9 RogueEntity

RogueEntity

::Resident Dragon::

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

I must say, TPM was an okay movie, I would not say it was brillient or anything, but it was okay. I preferred the other two more so.
"Difficult takes a few seconds; impossible, a few minutes" - McKay

#10 mightycaptain

mightycaptain

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Sorry but I dont think it was the worst. Episode II has my vote for least favorite. Just so you dont think everyone naturally agrees with the opinion that it (TPM) was bad. It actually opened doors for me to mentor my friend's younger brother at a time he desperatley needed mentoring, as he really liked this film and the concepts of master-apprentice and jedi vs sith.

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

Three words: Ja Ja Binks :fear:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users