Favorite Trek Books and/or Authors

14 replies to this topic

#1 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:12 PM

I didn't see a topic for overall favorite trek books or authors, and I'd like suggestions as I am looking for audiobooks to download for a long trip I'm taking on Wed... (11 hours in the air, AUGH!)

I already have all of Peter David's New Frontier books, and a few of his other Trek books. I really like his style of writing, so if anyone knows of another Trek author who has a similar style, I'd love to know who that is.

I like the Reeves-Stevens team, but I don't think I've read anything of theirs since the DS9 Millenium series. So any others of theirs you can recommend?

Generally, I like books that are full of action and humor. I am a big fan of strong character development. Oh, and if it's based on one of the Trek series, the characters HAVE to sound and feel like the real thing. I can't stand it when a main character sounds "off". Loses all credibility. I don't like a lot of long drawn out conference table scenes, political debates, things of that nature. The best writing is the kind that "shows" not "tells". Ok that's cliche, but true nonetheless! I have seen every episode of every Trek incarnation and am open to hearing a good book from any of them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

lisa. B)

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

Well, I rather enjoyed William Shatner's mirror universe trilogy (Spectre, Dark Victory, and the last one... uh... can't remember). Also, Shatner's Captain's Blood is phenomenal, in my opinion. However... my favorite Star Trek book has to be Federation by the Reeves-Stevens'.

Oh, and I rather like these two:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=3928
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=5637
:D

Posted Image

#3 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:47 PM

Ok, Hair, maybe you can help me on this one. I have 3 Shatner Trek books: Captain's Peril, Ashes of Eden, and Dark Victory.

I know his books tend to be continuing sagas, like Peter David's books. Can you tell me where "Captain's Blood" fits in? Is it a stand-alone novel or part of a series? If it's part of a series, can it still be read apart from the rest of the series and make sense?

I also loved Federation. Another book of the R-S team, Prime Directive I think it's called, was pretty good too. I have them both in hardcover.

Well, I rather enjoyed William Shatner's mirror universe trilogy (Spectre, Dark Victory, and the last one... uh... can't remember). Also, Shatner's Captain's Blood is phenomenal, in my opinion. However... my favorite Star Trek book has to be Federation by the Reeves-Stevens'.

Oh, and I rather like these two:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=3928
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=5637
:D

View Post

#4 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:49 PM

Captain's Blood is a good stand-alone book. In fact, it's very good.

Posted Image

#5 Skinfull

Skinfull

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:26 AM

My favourite Trek books are "Rock and a Hard Place" by Peter David. Love that book. "Captains Daughter" by Peter David and "Best Destiny" by Diane Carey

I'm a big Peter David fan too and you said you had all the New Frontier books...do you have them on Audio? I cant find any trek audio over here and I commute 2hrs 10 every day to work! So I get few about 2-3 audio books a week!

Michael Jan Friedman wrote alot of the early next Gen books and they were really good. Great plots and perfect characterisations! Recently I have re-read "Boogymen" and thought it was great and of course Q-Squared. Oh man I could sit here all day talking about my favouite trek books!

Also "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card is a geat book. Never leave home without a copy!

"Things are only impossible until they are not." - Picard

Game-Bandits.com

#6 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

I have a whole list of Trek authors I could list, but my favorites would have to be:

Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels who wrote "Taking Wing" in the Titan series and "The Sundered" in the Lost Era series.

My favorite book would have to be Star Trek: Federation.
"Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it. Pain is a part of life. Sometimes it's a big part, and sometimes it isn't, but either way, it's part of the big puzzle, the deep music, the great game. Pain does two things: It teaches you, tells you that you're alive. Then it passes away and leaves you changed. It leaves you wiser, sometimes. Sometimes it leaves you stronger. Either way, pain leaves its mark, and everything important that will ever happen to you in life is going to involve it in one degree or another."

-White Night by Jim Butcher (pg 251)

#7 Rakulp

Rakulp

Commodore

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:36 PM

Greetings,

I tend to lean towards Peter David, due to "Imzadi" and his connection to comic books (my hobby in my earlier years :) ).

I haven't read a Star Trek book in several years, but have about 40 of them, mostly in paper back form. I've enjoyed most that I've read, as they fill in a lot of holes left behind in the different series.

I even began writing my own book at one time, based on the events of Wolf 359...but never got beyond a couple of chapters. I find that my skills lie in having ideas, not the talent to bring them to life :)

Rakulp
"Honor Above All"
RIP Mom and Dad - June 2005

#8 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

I find that my skills lie in having ideas, not the talent to bring them to life :)

View Post

I'm the same way most of the time. I used to write like the devil (hmmm... does the devil write a lot? :blink: ) but after having a child, the inspiration kind of left me by way of no time and too much stress. That's my excuse anyway. :rolleyes:

A lot of Peter David fans here! The only audiobooks I have are Enterprise: The First Adventure by Vonda McIntyre (I think) and a couple other random ones from MANY years ago. I just bought my daughter an IPOD and found out after the fact that you can download audiobooks, so I figure if you want to travel light and not get car sick, that's the way to go! Not cheap though.

I have never heard of Boogyman, that one's by Michael Jan Friedman?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will have to check into these books. I hate buying a book only to be disappointed in it. I guess that's what libraries are for, but they don't carry everything so...

#9 Space Nomad

Space Nomad

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hmmm, it’s been a bit too long since I’ve read a Star Trek novel, but of the handful that I have read, the best was probably “Star Trek: Recovery.” Others that I recall enjoying were “ST: TNG: Ghost Ship,” “ST: TNG: Ship of the Line,” and the last book in the “My Brother’s Keeper” trilogy: “Enterprise” by Michael Jan Friedman.

I read all of these a few years ago, but hopefully I had good taste in books as a teenager :)

I’ve obtained a copy of Reeves-Steven’s Prime Directive, and a copy of Q-Squared, but they’re still sitting in my pile of unread books waiting for me to make time for them. I’ve heard that both are good and I look forward to reading them....eventually.

#10 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:34 AM

Well aside from Peter David's "New Frontier" and "Imzadi" novels, I'm a huge fan of the DS9 "relaunch" novels, especially the ones by S.D. Perry. But I'm not sure if you can find any on audio though :(.

I also recommend both volumes of "The Eugenics Wars" by Greg Cox...although I prefer Anthony Stewart Head's reading of the first volume over the reader of volume 2.

HERE is a link to the list for PocketBooks Star Trek audio books. Though according to officials over there, don't expect many in the future..they just don't sell well. :(

Posted Image

#11 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

I'm a huge fan of the DS9 "relaunch" novels, especially the ones by S.D. Perry.  But I'm not sure if you can find any on audio though :(.

I also recommend both volumes of "The Eugenics Wars" by Greg Cox...although I prefer Anthony Stewart Head's reading of the first volume over the reader of volume 2.

HERE is a link to the list for PocketBooks Star Trek audio books. Though according to officials over there, don't expect many in the future..they just don't sell well. :(

View Post

Hey thanks that link was helpful. Although actually I found an easier thing: type Star Trek in the iTunes search and there's actually a lot more listed.

Which one is the first book in the DS9 relaunch series?

Has anyone read the TNG series "The Genesis Wave"? It's a 3 book series. I got the feeling maybe it's a highly technical book and might be kinda boring, but if anyone has feedback on that one...

#12 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

Me like book :"Murder on Vulcan". I do not say about story this book, but this book need read, if you trekkie. But book very interested.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#13 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

I read book "Heart of the warrior" autor Gregory Betancourt.How wited on cover,this book about what kira and Worf fight heart dominion.I do not read this book,stop on 20 page,but me very like read it.

Posted Image

Edited by Martok, 17 June 2011 - 09:10 AM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#14 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Star Trek Nemesis by J.M Dillard. It's AWESOME!! So much better then the movie!

#15 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

Star Trek ,,The motion picture'' by the all mighty Gene Roddenberry. I didn't read it yet but I'm halfway there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users