Photo

Did Lucas fail with his prequel in 3 parts?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:57 AM

In Star Wars: A New Hope, Lucas introduced us to a conflicted galaxy under the control of a nameless, faceless Emperor. The clenched fist of the Emperor's control, Darth Vader, is overseeing the final stages of activating their ultimate weapon and a plucky band of Rebels are trying to thwart that effort.

From this story, and the sequels that grew out of it, we were presented with a picture of a society under the control of a great evil and we learned of it's salvation from that evil by the son of the personification of that evil.

Now, I know that there are many that will consider me a Heretic and someone who just doesn't get it. That being said, is there anyone else who feels that Lucas totally dropped the ball in developing the prequel movies?

Personally I never got the feeling that Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was effectively portrayed. There was never any circumstances that were presented to the viewer that would explain his metamorphosis from good natured child to Dark Knight of the Sith. He had minor tragedies in his life, but also had the Jedi (Samurai) training to deal with these events. The fact he was a hormone crazed teenager with hot bananas for Padmae is not sufficent motivation to inspire what happened in ROTS.

I think Lucas used an entirely too small palatte for his story and a too large one for the special effects. Also, I believe he could had drawn from the more intriguing parts of our own imperial history (Rome, China, Holy Roman Empire, Germany, ect) to develop a more plausable and rational raison d'etre from which the Empire was born.
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 StarFleetIntel

StarFleetIntel

FOX News Contributor

• Members
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

Finally, someone who agrees with me!

I really wish, and I've posted this somewhere else, that Lucas would have got the best writers, a big name director, a great cast (The Anakins were awful, IMHO. and what was with Samuel L Jackson, and the dude from LA LAw?)....He should have said to them, "Here is my idea for the movies......Here's what you can do.....Here's what you CAN'T do.....Now go make a great trilogy.....you know where to send the check......"

I think, too, with LOTR, the bar is so darn high, that with Lucas actually making the movies, he was outclassed....the game has changed.....

#3 Omega79

Omega79

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:22 AM

imho part 4-6 dont depend on part 1-3 ...
watching them alone is ok ... but there some things that dont fit ... like obiwan dont remembering c3p0 and r2d2

oh and imho anakins change to the darkside was forced by lucas, badly written

i think he failed to connect the movies ... watching each alone is ok, nice popcorn movie ... but thats it

#4 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

In Star Wars:  A New Hope, Lucas introduced us to a conflicted galaxy under the control of a nameless, faceless Emperor.  The clenched fist of the Emperor's control, Darth Vader, is overseeing the final stages of activating their ultimate weapon and a plucky band of Rebels are trying to thwart that effort.

From this story, and the sequels that grew out of it, we were presented with a picture of a society under the control of a great evil and we learned of it's salvation from that evil by the son of the personification of that evil.

Now, I know that there are many that will consider me a Heretic and someone who just doesn't get it.  That being said, is there anyone else who feels that Lucas totally dropped the ball in developing the prequel movies?

Personally I never got the feeling that Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was effectively portrayed.  There was never any circumstances that were presented to the viewer that would explain his metamorphosis from good natured child to Dark Knight of the Sith.  He had minor tragedies in his life, but also had the Jedi (Samurai) training to deal with these events.  The fact he was a hormone crazed teenager with hot bananas for Padmae is not sufficent motivation to inspire what happened in ROTS. 

I think Lucas used an entirely too small palatte for his story and a too large one for the special effects.  Also, I believe he could had drawn from the more intriguing parts of our own imperial history (Rome, China, Holy Roman Empire, Germany, ect) to develop a more plausable and rational raison d'etre from which the Empire was born.

View Post

I felt the same way (at first) after seeing Epi 1 & 2 (haven't seen 3 yet, waiting for the lines to die down). However, I have, over the last several weeks, re-watched Epi 1 & 2 at home on my TV to prepare for Epi 3 when I go. I now have a different opinion concerning the two episodes than I did when I first watched them after they initially came out. Like many, I had great anticipation when Epi 1 came out and even stood in the long lines to get into the theater to watch it, and was sadly disappointed in it (at the time). When Epi 2 came out I waited about a week to see it, and thought it was a little better than Epi 1, but no where near as good as Epi 4.

I have sense (after reviewing Epi 1 & 2 for the sillionth time) come to a far different conclusion, especially where it concerns the evolution of Annakin Skywalker. With each new viewing I forgot about the technology and even the storyline and started concentrating on the development of Annakin. Now I believe Lucas has done a superb job of showing how this small boy, who outwardly appeared happy and jovial was really quite troubled even as a youth, fighting inner pride and ambition and a closeness to his mother that bordered on obsession. Even small-boy Annakin had a hugh ambition that needed curbing and directed properly, in this task Obi-Wan ultimately failed and the Emperor succeeded in harnessing the obsessiveness and boatsful-pride of the young Jedi into a tool for evil villiany.

In Epi 1, Annakin's confidence exudes cockiness as he boast's of his abilities as a pod-racer. Nothing wrong with self-confidence, but if not properly directed into a postitive force it can and will lead to self-inflated pride and a lack of trust in the ability of others and will lead to impatience with others, even superiors who might be able to direct your efforts in a good way. By Episode 2 this became very apparent in the life of Annakin. He grew impatient with Obi-Wan. Annakin blamed his Jedi master for the young man's own failures of character. His good sense succumed to his great ambition and pride. Annakin, by the end of Epi 2 (accurately illustrated by his breaking of a major Jedi rule to not be married and become entangled in affairs of the heart), has set his feet on a path that could lead to nowhere else but the Dark Side by the time Epi 3 comes along.

Annakin Skywalker is a torchered soul that only finds release and freedom by Epi 6 and George Lucas does a magnificent job a weaving this morality tale in the midst of some good bang-bang shoot-em up western-style sci-fi.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#5 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

I felt the same way (at first) after seeing Epi 1 & 2 (haven't seen 3 yet, waiting for the lines to die down).  However, I have, over the last several weeks, re-watched Epi 1 & 2 at home on my TV to prepare for Epi 3 when I go.  I now have a different opinion concerning the two episodes than I did when I first watched them after they initially came out.  Like many, I had great anticipation when Epi 1 came out and even stood in the long lines to get into the theater to watch it, and was sadly disappointed in it (at the time).  When Epi 2 came out I waited about a week to see it, and thought it was a little better than Epi 1, but no where near as good as Epi 4. 

I have sense (after reviewing Epi 1 & 2 for the sillionth time) come to a far different conclusion, especially where it concerns the evolution of Annakin Skywalker.  With each new viewing I forgot about the technology and even the storyline and started concentrating on the development of Annakin.  Now I believe Lucas has done a superb job of showing how this small boy, who outwardly appeared happy and jovial was really quite troubled even as a youth, fighting inner pride and ambition and a closeness to his mother that bordered on obsession.  Even small-boy Annakin had a hugh ambition that needed curbing and directed properly, in this task Obi-Wan ultimately failed and the Emperor succeeded in harnessing the obsessiveness and boatsful-pride of the young Jedi into a tool for evil villiany.

In Epi 1, Annakin's confidence exudes cockiness as he boast's of his abilities as a pod-racer.  Nothing wrong with self-confidence, but if not properly directed into a postitive force it can and will lead to self-inflated pride and a lack of trust in the ability of others and will lead to impatience with others, even superiors who might be able to direct your efforts in a good way.  By Episode 2 this became very apparent in the life of Annakin.  He grew impatient with Obi-Wan.  Annakin blamed his Jedi master for the young man's own failures of character.  His good sense succumed to his great ambition and pride.  Annakin, by the end of Epi 2 (accurately illustrated by his breaking of a major Jedi rule to not be married and become entangled in affairs of the heart), has set his feet on a path that could lead to nowhere else but the Dark Side by the time Epi 3 comes along.

Annakin Skywalker is a torchered soul that only finds release and freedom by Epi 6 and George Lucas does a magnificent job a weaving this morality tale in the midst of some good bang-bang shoot-em up western-style sci-fi.

View Post

In episode I we see a young boy who is in a state of legal slavery, being treated reasonably well by his owner, who despite his money grubbing and self centered nature, has genuine affection for the boy. Anakin has an innate ability to not only effectively pilot a podracer, but an innate ability to repair and build many complicated devices. These abilities are, no doubt, augmented by his metachlorian (sp?) count. Probably a hard life to live, but by no means are we made privy to it being a harsh life. The confidence he exudes is that of a typical 8 year old boy who can do something very well.

Episode II shows us the older Anakin who has exceled at being a Jedi, but has not learned the maturity to harness his abilities and his emotions. He sees the object of his little boy crush, succumbs to a localized blood pressure problem in his pants and spends the rest of the story obsessing about getting a booty call. Padmae comes across as a well educated, confident and strong female character but allows her affections for the boy to evolve to love for the young man (just as an aside, the age difference makes her the youngest cougar on record.).

I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the evolution of the affair between Anakin and Padmae does not show any of the tension or intrigue that would be normally present in a clandestine affair (and I know of what I speak). The manipulations of former Senator, and current Chancellor, Palpatine on both the Republic and on "Young Skywalker" have absolutely no foundation developed to explain their effectiveness.

I would liken this storyline to that of an iceberg, 90% of what has happened to bring together the elements that create the galaxy portrayed in Episode IV have been glossed over in favour of slick special effects. As the prequel to the original trilogy, IMHO this offers very little insight as to what occured in those stories or why.
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#6 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:09 PM

In episode I we see a young boy who is in a state of legal slavery, being treated reasonably well by his owner, who despite his money grubbing and self centered nature, has genuine affection for the boy.  Anakin has an innate ability to not only effectively pilot a podracer, but an innate ability to repair and build many complicated devices.  These abilities are, no doubt, augmented by his metachlorian (sp?) count.  Probably a hard life to live, but by no means are we made privy to it being a harsh life.  The confidence he exudes is that of a typical 8 year old boy who can do something very well.

Episode II shows us the older Anakin who has exceled at being a Jedi, but has not learned the maturity to harness his abilities and his emotions.  He sees the object of his little boy crush, succumbs to a localized blood pressure problem in his pants and spends the rest of the story obsessing about getting a booty call.  Padmae comes across as a well educated, confident and strong female character but allows her affections for the boy to evolve to love for the young man (just as an aside, the age difference makes her the youngest cougar on record.).

I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the evolution of the affair between Anakin and Padmae does not show any of the tension or intrigue that would be normally present in a clandestine affair (and I know of what I speak).  The manipulations of former Senator, and current Chancellor, Palpatine on both the Republic and on "Young Skywalker" have absolutely no foundation developed to explain their effectiveness. 

I would liken this storyline to that of an iceberg, 90% of what has happened to bring together the elements that create the galaxy portrayed in Episode IV have been glossed over in favour of slick special effects.  As the prequel to the original trilogy, IMHO this offers very little insight as to what occured in those stories or why.

View Post

I'll save my final reply for after I see Epi 3, but you make some debatable points for future discussion.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#7 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:32 AM

I don't think he failed with the prequels, they made heaps of money on the tickets and the DVD / video casette sales. Now i've heard rumors the next 3 parts that might have followed the original trilogy part of the hexalogy aren't comming but they will instead make mini series that'd span the entire time span of the hexalogy...
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...

Olórin (Gandalf): Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Legolas:"Boe a hyn... Neled herein - dan caer menig."
Aragorn:"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras."
Legolas:"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen-ú-erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer."
Aragorn:"Then i shall die as one of them!"
Posted Image
Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie? (Do you speak Elvish?)

#8 mightycaptain

mightycaptain

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Well I liked the basic idea behind I & II, but it was III that really connected for me, and made me feel like I could go home and watch the old films and get the complete story.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users