Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

What is The Countdown?
An Introduction
Updated December 16, 2006

So, you’ve stumbled into the sub-forum called “‘The Countdown’ Club” and you’re wondering “What the phlox is this?” Allow me to answer a few questions here, but before that, I’ll give you a brief history of the Countdown.

The Countdown originated from the time when TrekUnited was raising funds to finance a fifth season of Star Trek: Enterprise. The first Countdown, the ‘Countdown to $50,000’, was started by Mr. Sevens. It originally started off with people simply acknowledging new donations, but it quickly grew to center around partying for each subsequent donation and worship of the counter, with hopes to elicit another donation.

Rather quickly, the $50,000 mark was topped and the ‘Countdown to $75,000’ began. Soon after that, three anonymous donors from the spaceflight industry stepped forward and pledged $3 million dollars to the TrekUnited campaign. We moved on to the ‘Countdown to $3,075,000 and experienced a huge surge in donations. The ‘Countdown to $3.1 Million’ followed with four installments. Upon the attainment of that goal, the ‘Countdown to $3.15 Million’ began. The random parties and Counter worshipping continued for a few weeks, with each thread being closed after reaching 1000 replies. At one point, a thread reached capacity and was closed in eight hours time. Anyway, for insanity’s sake, each thread was given a unique title involving the word ‘Counter’, like ‘VI: The Undiscovered Counter’, or ‘VII: First Counter’. After reaching the eleventh edition of ‘Countdown to $3.15 Million’, the modified names of Star Trek: Enterprise episodes were used, such as ‘Part 11 – Broken Counter’ (Broken Bow) and ‘Part 23 – Dear Counter’ (Dear Doctor).

Once the 26th edition (Counter One) was reached, the Counter had frozen at $3,144,173.00 and was not responding to the desperate pleas of the now proudly labeled ‘Counterists’. It was announced soon after that the TrekUnited fundraising campaign had reached its end with an unequivocal ‘NO’ from Paramount regarding fan donations. Tim Brazeal (the TU campaign leader) stopped raising funds and began returning the donations to those who had contributed. It seemed as if the Countdown was no longer needed.

The Counterists, valuing the relationships formed and the unpredictable fun that was the countdown, moved to the Miscellaneous section of the forum and started a new set of threads titled ‘The Countdown’. After some forum reorganization, The Countdown actually ended up with it’s own sub-forum. And from here, I will answer some questions.

Q: What the phlox is The Countdown about?
A: Nothing. We’re here to enjoy ourselves. Think of it as a free-form discussion, or even as a room of sorts. Come as you are, join the conversation, have fun.

Q: I’m looking at the list of Countdowns in this sub-forum, and it not all of them are there.
A: Some of the early Countdowns were left in place because of sentimental reasons, others are going to be left buried in the dark corners of this forum because of content issues. ;)

Q: Isn’t this all a bunch of spam?
A: Technically, yes. Do we care? No. However, in order to conform with forum rules and regulations and similar stuff, I kindly ask that you keep all posts to at least four words (not counting pictures and smilies and stuff).

Q: Why does The Countdown have it’s own sub-forum?
A: Don’t ask me. :D Maybe it’s because of the sheer number of posts and threads, maybe its to keep us contained and in our own little pool. Or maybe they just don’t like us… <_<

Q: Were all the regular posters dropped on their heads at birth or did it happen later?
A: We’re not really sure what happened to all of these folks, but there’s something ‘different’ about them. ;)

Q: Why does the Daily Top 10 always read like Countdown Roll Call?
A: Due to the conversational and humorous nature of The Countdown, fighting addiction is not an easy task. People get drawn in and are unable to escape. That, or we have no lives.

Q: These threads read really random. How random is it?
A: It’s not as random as you may think. Sure, there are random outbursts and sudden topic changes, but for the most part it’s one continuing train of conversation.

Q: What the phlox?
A: Believe me when I say: ‘You don’t want to know.’

Q: Is mild verbal abuse of the moderators allowed?
A: Yes. In fact, unless the discussion has taken a serious tone, most everything in The Countdown consists of mild verbal abuse. Don’t take any insults seriously.

Q: I thought you said there were only 1000 posts per thread. I’m seeing 2000. :blink:
A: Oh, right. After a while, it was decided that because the Countdown threads were moving so quickly that 1000 replies just wasn’t enough. Thus, the limit was raised to 2000. Nothing special, just more insanity for each thread. Except, now it's 1000 posts per thread for database reasons. Oh well. :) Additionally, the current Countdown thread, whatever number that is, is to be the only thread open at one time, to avoid confusion and extraneous crazy posting and whatnot...

Q: Is there a level that we should keep content below?
A: Yes, PG-13. Just use your best judgment and people will let you know if you’ve crossed a line somewhere.

Q: Are pictures of dental work allowed?
A: *twitch* Yes, as long as it’s not too gory. *twitch*

Q: Is this really some sort of exclusive high-brow club? Do I need a membership, or at least a green card?
A: High-brow? *falls out of chair laughing* Anyway, no. The Countdown is open to everyone, regardless of ethnicity, creed, political preference, intelligence, blah blah blah, insert politically correct stuff here. In short, it doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, how many posts you have... whatever. Come from startrek.com for all we care, as long as you're here to have fun with these crazy folk.

Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here!

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 carolinsche

carolinsche

Her Highness in charge of ... lots of things

• Members
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hey CH, good idea to explain this to new people around here! You really did make a big effort to type this up - wow!!! *pats your shoulder*

:23: :taz: :23: :taz: :23:
The path of the Monk
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow. In fact, just bugger off and leave me alone.

C
ERTIFIED CONNORSEUR

European Recovery Group For Late Night Chats Gold Member

#3 Guest_Mark_*

Guest_Mark_*

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:16 AM

What else did he have to do?

#4 megabyte

megabyte

Commodore

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:43 AM

OOOOH, Thats what that is, thanks Cpt.Haire! :)
Good work! :clap:

#5 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:52 AM

What else did he have to do?

View Post

Well, I do have a lot of writing to do...
*points at bottom of signature*

Posted Image

#6 Tmir

Tmir

Insane

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

Well, I do have a lot of writing to do...
*points at bottom of signature*

View Post

which mean you probably type faster than a lot of people here
Do you like my fish?

#7 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

This is for all the new people who've never been to the threads...

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#8 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

Excellent idea CH to have this explanation for those who wander into these dark woods alone and get entangled in our web of spamola.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#9 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

Q: I’m looking at the list of Countdowns in this sub-forum, and it not all of them are there.
A: Some of the early Countdowns were left in place because of sentimental reasons, others are going to be left buried in the dark corners of this forum because of content issues. ;)

Q: Isn’t this all a bunch of spam?
A: Technically, yes. Do we care? No.

Q: Were all the regular posters dropped on their heads at birth or did it happen later?
A: We’re not really sure what happened to all of these folks, but there’s something ‘different’ about them. ;)

Q: Is mild verbal abuse of the moderators allowed?
A: Yes. In fact, unless the discussion has taken a serious tone, most everything in The Countdown consists of mild verbal abuse. Don’t take any insults seriously.

Q: Is there a level that we should keep content below?
A: Yes, PG-13. Just use your best judgment and people will let you know if you’ve crossed a line somewhere.

View Post

the old ones were the best... all that whipping and worshipping. And the feminin supremacists... Is it pg-13 over cougar?

Edit-what about the family circle? several of us are crazy because of that, being created by our own genes and all. :lol:

Edited by Canadian Mind, 18 May 2005 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#10 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

the old ones were the best... all that whipping and worshipping. And the feminin supremacists... Is it pg-13 over cougar?

View Post

Cougar is clear for PG-13, but we've been asked by Admin not to engage in some of the more 'questionable' postings anymore. Sorry.

Posted Image

#11 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

Excellent idea CH to have this explanation for those who wander into these dark woods alone and get entangled in our web of spamola.

View Post

But is this really explainable? :blink: Or is the countdown simply a mystery for the ages!! :devil2:

Posted Image

#12 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

But is this really explainable? :blink:  Or is the countdown simply a mystery for the ages!!  :devil2:

View Post

Not to one of the TFU ancients. My definition of a TFU ancient is anyone who joined befor the 14th of Febuary by the way. So much phlox was going on back then it wasn't even funny.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#13 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

Not to one of the TFU ancients. My definition of a TFU ancient is anyone who joined befor the 14th of Febuary by the way. So much phlox was going on back then it wasn't even funny.

View Post

Hmm... that's two weeks before I joined... :unsure:

Posted Image

#14 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

View Post

I was one of the very first to see this forum. I joined SE back in October :P
I eventually joined the TU forum but I didn't think it was neccesary because it's related and partnered with SE.
Now the forums are merged and I lost my "Joined on" date.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#15 Paolo

Paolo

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

So, Hair, you did it.
Good, I think it was truly needed for the newbies to come.
Posted Image
Please visit the TU LANGUAGE 101 - after all, that's what TU is about!
language subforum

I love /|\tari consoles and computers

#16 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

View Post

I was reading the forum from day one. I didn't join until the 15th and didn't post until like March. :P

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#17 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:12 PM

I was reading the forum from day one. I didn't join until the 15th and didn't post until like March. :P

View Post

Same here. I was a TU lurker for a long time. Then again I was a SE lurker for a long time before I joined over there too.

Posted Image

#18 Sevens

Sevens

Ambassador of Awesome

• Members
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

View Post

so does that mean I am a TFU Ancient?

It looks to me like I barely made it...

Proud member of the Men's Auxiliary of S.A.N.I.T.Y.

#19 Cathy Harris

Cathy Harris

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

Captain Hair - that introduction is a magnificent piece of wit - countdowns all over the place - Cathy

#20 AdmiralRooster

AdmiralRooster

The Great And Powerful Rooster

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hair....I cannot believe you actually managed to sum up what the countdown thread was.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users