14 replies to this topic

#1 Vol

Vol

Membership/Projects Director

• Members
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hey everyone!

Here is a brief history and TrekUnited Australia Mission Statement for the press release and web-site. Thanks for all your help in creating them, your input was invaluable!!! This is just some of the information which will be sent to Candice for the press release.

Enjoy!

History of TrekUnited Australia

TrekUnited Australia was created on the 9th of February 2005 days after the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise at www.trekunited.com. Aussie Trekkie became the National Co-ordinator of the group on the 19th of February 2005 and soon after the group begun to take shape. The first task of the group, consisting of a growing number of Australian members, was to begin a media campaign, informing the Australian media to the activities of TrekUnited.com. This media campaign under the leadership of Aussie Trekkie was successful in that the group was able to get at least three articles written about the Save Enterprise cause. The first article was published online on 2nd March 2005 by the popular Australian dance music site inthemix.com. The article written by Mr Sevens was titled Culture: Star Trek’s final frontier? http://www.inthemix....features/19993/. The 2nd of March also saw the publication of a letter to the editor by Belanna a TrekUnited Australia member, in The Daily Telegraph http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=3080. On the 6th of March we had an article titled Starstruck written about the TrekUnited campaign in the Sunday Age, another major Australian newspaper http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=4741.

On the 21st of March, Vol became the second co-ordinator of TrekUnited Australia. On the 2nd of April, Australia held its first Save Enterprise Rally in Melbourne, outside of Channel 9 studios. The rally organized by Melbourne resident Rachael (trekker1701) was a success, with people turning up with posters and flyers voicing their support of Star Trek: Enterprise. One of the posters read “Wake Up Paramount! Just because we’re 7930 miles from LA, doesn’t mean we don’t care!” http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=3077

On the 9th of April 2005, LonegunGirl created the TrekUnited Australia web-site. This web-site is designed to store all the Australian save Enterprise information and promote our campaign http://www.scifidata...TUAustralia.htm

With the appointment of two National Co-ordinators, a weekly campaign address to all the members which listed the week to week happenings of the group began on the 24th March 2005. The following is a list of links to each address written so far.

24 March/31 March Address:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=2546

8 April/14 April Address:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=3206

23 April 2005 Address:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=4060

28 April 2005 Address:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=4313

6 May 2005 Address:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=4659

12 May 2005 Address:
http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=4946

In addition to weekly address, the Australian members also meet every Wednesday night at 9pm AEST in the TrekUnited chat room to discuss the campaign and plan for the following week. Many ideas have been pitched during these meetings. This includes TrekUnited Australia T-Shirts, poster campaigns, Star Trek and Science Fiction fan club campaigns and also a fundraising raffle being conducted by a members to raise $240 for the children at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney.

November 18 UPDATE: On 9th June 2005, Vol became sole National Co-Ordinator of TrekUnited: Australia and since that time Trekunited Australia has been involved in many of Trekunited’s projects.

In June 2005, Trekunited released the newsletter “Hailing Frequencies Open” detailing news in the Trekunited world. In July, TU:AUS made an impact when Kirok was assigned to the newsletter as a writer and was begun to write a monthly column called “The Australian Endeavour”. TU:AUS remains the only national team in Trekunited to have a column dedicated to their news http://trekunited.co.../pdf/hfo 02.pdf

July saw the introduction of a thread called the “Campaign Brainstorm,” which was a place where the team could discuss ways to expand on the current campaign efforts. This thread was responsible for the creation of the joint TU:AUS and Trekunited FanFilm Mailer Campaign http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=6487

The FanFilm Mailer Campaign was developed by TU:AUS members before an official proposal was submitted on 24th July to the Trekunited Executive Staff and the Legal team. The campaign recruited fifteen Star Trek fan film production groups and become the first ever campaign to unite and involve a large slice of the Star Trek Fan Film community on a single task. On the 25th September the project was given the green light, by TrekUnited http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=7750 The 4th October 2005 saw the official launch by Tim Brazeal of the FanFilm Mailer Campaign. The campaign consisted of five ‘waves’ of postcards featuring and promoting Star Trek fan films. This campaign was a truly worldwide effort, targeting Paramount offices in Australia (Week 1: 3rd – 9th October), United Kingdom (Week 2: 10th – 16th October), Germany (Week 3: 24th -30th October), Canada (Week 4: 7th – 14th November) and U.S.A (Week 5: 16th – 23rd November) http://www.trekfansu...?showtopic=7883

TrekUnited Australia in conjunction with TrekUnited is not only aiming to save Star Trek: Enterprise, but is also aiming to unite the fans from all over the country and world. We hope that we will be able to make not only a positive contribution to the Star Trek fandom, but also to the community at large.

Following is the TrekUnited Australia Mission Statement: 

TrekUnited Australia Mission Statement

For 39 years, Star Trek has inspired millions worldwide with its vision of hope for the future. This vision has not only effected people worldwide but also countless Australians.
Star Trek dares to push the envelop on modern day issues, whilst daring to dream that against all odds, peace amongst humanity and a better life for us all can be achieved through co-operation.  With the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise and the resting of the Star Trek franchise and its inspirational vision, Australian fans have been left for the first time in 18 years without such a program and source of inspiration.

The Australian branch of TrekUnited, aims to unite all Australian fans in order to campaign for the return of Star Trek: Enterprise, whilst bringing awareness of the entire Science Fiction genre to the Australian public and maintaining the visibility of the Star Trek fandom. We also aim to make a positive contribution to the Australian community in the future, in order to bring the world one step closer to the peaceful existence promoted by Star Trek.

Edited by Vol, 18 November 2005 - 06:15 AM.

Forum Rules

Insane Aussie Countdownunderist. Member of SANITY

"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise"

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:28 AM

Excellent

#3 Belanna

Belanna

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:51 AM

Update on the raffle - I raised $240.00 (it was drawn last week).

Money and letter will be sent in the next few days.

I had planned to try to raise more but of course work got in the way..... :P
Posted Image

#4 LonegunGirl

LonegunGirl

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:12 AM

Update on the raffle - I raised $240.00 (it was drawn last week).

Money and letter will be sent in the next few days.

I had planned to try to raise more but of course work got in the way.....  :P

View Post

Awesome work, Belanna! :clap:

And Vol, the history sounds great. Shall I post it on the website? Or do you want to change it at all for that? Not that it needs any changing – it's awesome! :D

Save The World - One Click At A Time
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

An Inconvenient Truth

Ad Astra Per Aspera - Through adversity, the stars

#5 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

The History section has been updated....for people to see it please click on the link at the bottom located at the bottom of LGG's posts

#6 Vol

Vol

• Members
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:31 AM

Wow I was sure I had replied in this thread already, but it looks like I haven't :o

@ Belanna (sorry about the late reply, I was positive I had said something about this but...) WAY TO GO!!! :clap: $240.00 is just awesome!!! :clap: So did you sent it away with the letter yet? Any response?

Also thank you LGG for updating the site with this information :thumbsup:

Remember everyone our web-site is: http://www.scifidata...TUAustralia.htm

Forum Rules

#7 Vol

Vol

• Members
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:03 AM

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted you all to know that our History has now been updated. Not everything is included yet, but it is more up to date now. Thanks AT.

Enjoy :D

Forum Rules

#8 Giggles

Giggles

TU OFFICIAL WHO IS IN CHARGE OF ALL THINGS GIGGLY

• Members
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:27 AM

I want to thank Vol for sending me the stuff for the scrapbook. If there is any history that needs updating let me know and I'll put it in.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

giggles
DO YOU REMEMBER THIS ONE?
Posted Image

#9 trekzone

trekzone

Commodore

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

dont forget to add the tireless efforts of a sci-fi night production for Community television. Those exclusive reports dont come cheap :P

#10 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:21 AM

2006 seen the rapid continuation0 of the successful "Aussie Cubbyhouse" thread series which gives members an insight of various members tastes from the thrills of NASCAR racing to the sometimes mind boggling array of European music shown during the music contest Eurovision.

2006 was also the year that Vol and Kirok increased their involvement concerning Project X which was later unveiled as Sci-Fi Studios, both of them also play a part in the writing of the SFS Magazine.
Aussie Trekkie taken on the role of Save Enterprise Project Manager and lead for the rest of the year with the greatest achievement of capturing the most members in a day record by attracting 638 Trekunited members in a single day during a Save Enterprise campaign.
A setback for TU:AUS was the departure of LGG to concentrate on University studies which is expected to continue for at least until 2008 to some it means the end of having to listen to Eurovision but to other means the loss of good company and a great artist who was responsible for the design of the Trekunited Australia logo and a large collection of avatars.

2007 has brought more roles for Australians for example Vol is now head of TU Projects and Membership while Kirok continues to be a heavy supporter of Star Trek fan productions including arranging live chats between fans and film makers as well as interviews for TU magazine "Hailing Frequencies Open" while Aussie Trekkie gives advice to Save Enterprise while managing Save Enterprise at Myspace

Edited by Aussie Trekkie, 06 May 2007 - 02:24 AM.

#11 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:56 AM

Star Trek in Australia is booming, but unfortunately the Australian section of TrekUnited isn't getting a share of this increase in numbers.

Personally I have a commitment to the growth of Star Trek and, by extension, Sci Fi in Australia and the best way of doing that is by adding what small talent I have to the growth of one of the Starfleet international chapters that has sprung up in the last year, the USS Southern Cross.

Rather than a club that is fighting to gain and maintain membership numbers, I see the role of TrekUnited in Australia as an umbrella organisation that can act as a neutral ground for ALL Star Trek or other Sci Fi related groups. Being a member of TrekUnited gives you a wide variety of member benefits - all FREE - and whilst we encourage members to contribute and interact we insist on nothing! There are no demands on your money, time or allegience - you can be a member of TrekUnited even if you spend most of your time and effort with your Starfleet chapter, your Sci fi costuming guild, your Dr Who audio drama group or your Firefly fan film friends!

I like to think that the newsletter of the the Starfleet international chapter, the USS Southern Cross, is once more raising the banner of Star Trek fandom in Australia in combination with a very commited group of fans. However with all due respect to SFI, TrekUnited remains the international focus of action in Star Trek fandom.

I would like to show that Star Trek and Sci Fi fans in Australia have access to a wide range of like-minded friends around the world plus a management group that is responsive and helpful with contacts and influence in the entertainment industry far beyond my wildest dreams.

Hey, Walter Koenig answered one of MY questions!!! You can't buy a feeling like that!

IDIC friends!

Kirok of L'Stok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#12 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

we've virtually been a core group of three members for much of our existance with people coming in and out over time and everyone knows you can't get very far is the "in" door usage is being matched by the use of the "out" door

The video idea we discussed late last year would of been cool to do, it would of squared up the ledger for the last attempt we tried and the fan film awards would of been fantastic to achieve so there is no shortage of ideas left in us.
All we need is to display the right message to people to come along and the right ideas and we're back in the Trekunited big time but even bigger than what we achieved throughout 2005 and 2006.

Edited by Aussie Trekkie, 06 May 2007 - 06:27 AM.

#13 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

we've virtually been a core group of three members for much of our existance with people coming in and out over time and everyone knows you can't get very far is the "in" door usage is being matched by the use of the "out" door

We proved in 2005 that you don't need large numbers to make a difference, just good ideas and perseverence. What we do best is facilitators, channels to help fans direct their energy in creative ways.

The video idea we discussed late last year would of been cool to do, it would of squared up the ledger for the last attempt we tried and the fan film awards would of been fantastic to achieve so there is no shortage of ideas left in us.
All we need is to display the right message to people to come along and the right ideas and we're back in the Trekunited big time but even bigger than what we achieved throughout 2005 and 2006.

The fan film awards is a good idea but requires talents that we don't have at the moment. The fan film campaign of 2005 worked because we got the raw material from the different groups and we turned that into a high visibility campaign as postcards, envelopes, videos, posters and handouts. There's a big difference between that and video editing material from a number of different groups into an original production. Trek Rider tried that and I don't believe it was ever finished.

I have been asked by the USS Southern Cross to put together a proposal for a fan production group. I believe that by the end of the year we will have a series of audio books, an audio drama and a proof of concept fan film. The Australian section of TrekUnited can't do it because we don't have the resources, either in time, material, money or man-power. TrekUnited CAN be a part of it by acting as the international support, distribution and liasson, bringing people together, providing publicity, doing the things that we do best.

Great ideas, no matter how good they are, will never succeed unless they are backed up with the resources to complete them. Saying that others will flock to us if they see that we have a great idea will only work if we show that we have a proven track record in what we are trying to do. Our proven track record is in ideas, hard yakka and perseverence in creating and maintaining a campaign. That is our strength and that is what we should do. If we expand into anything else we will only be when we get increased resources of expertese and manpower.

Cheers

Kirok of L'Stok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#14 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

It depends if we want to make it video or in writing the awards like when a computer magazine decides on best game etc and couple it with my idea i posted last week in the fan film awards thread about voting, check it out for further details.
With a little luck perhaps we can make a solid plan and one day it be picked up by either us or somebody else down the track.

I'm still working on making an original quarter shoestring budget Sci-Fi film at home (think of ABC stuff but much smaller) but currently delayed by various items on my garage floor where my set is supposed to be........bit frustrating it all is
Speaking of production, wouldn't it be cool if you could get some in production shots Kirok? like the actors standing against green/blue screen and the shot shows the camera and all that, it could help people know what they need to make such projects

#15 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:53 AM

History update, Jan 5 2009

- Australian contingent now has two members in Exec Staff positions
- Top 5 Australian members have made 18,887 posts since 2005 (as of 9:45pm AEDST Jan 5 2009)
- Members have written too many articles in so many different publications
- One (Me) still can't decide if the TU:AUS logo looks good on a t-shirt

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users