Photo

What order should the films be watched in?

27 replies to this topic

Poll: What order should the films be watched in? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

What order should the films be watched in?

1. Original Trilogy First Prequel Second (23 votes [62.16%])

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

2. In Chronological Order (14 votes [37.84%])

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dr. Phlox

Dr. Phlox

The Opinionist

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

I think watching the original first is best. If you watch it in order you wont be shocked by the revelations of who Yoda is and who Vader is.
Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Vulcanfanatic

Vulcanfanatic

Federation President and Proud SE member, despiser of TU Managem

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:05 PM

I think watching the original first is best.  If you watch it in order you wont be shocked by the revelations of who Yoda is and who Vader is.

View Post

You have a good point there. I think that is the best order as well.
Proud member of SaveEnterprise.com, Member #8.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

OT then the PT, duh!

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#4 Commander Phil

Commander Phil

Commodore

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

have to start with the original 3
"he who laughs last thinks slowest"

"i'm rick james b****"

#5 Darth Paris

Darth Paris

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

You wont appreciate the prequals as much if you don't see the originals first.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Remember The USS Cole, London, Bali, Madrid, Tunisia, Kenya and Tanzania, Riyadh, Amman, 9/11: New York, The Pentagon, and Pennsylvania

#6 aleeproject

aleeproject

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

I know I will probly be blasted when I say this, but I was a Star Wars fan, long before the times of Star Trek
Jeffery M. Lee
22 - Male
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
A proud supporter/donator to Save Enterprise
Former Canadian Cooridnator for Trek United - 2005

#7 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

I know I will probly be blasted when I say this, but I was a Star Wars fan, long before the times of Star Trek

View Post

There's nothing wrong with that :)

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."

#8 Borg Queen

Borg Queen

Commodore

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

I think in Chronological order

then you can better understand the story line.

May the force be with you.
AWC-WARRIOR
Never give up. Never surrender.
Posted Image
(\_/)
(0.0)
(> <)
O__O

#9 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

*sigh* This is a good issue.........personally I recommend the OT first......but there IS something to be said about the chronological order issue as well. So propose this:

OT-PT-OT again! :clap:

Posted Image

#10 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

I find it hard to believe that 6 believe it should be watched in chronological order :o

Posted Image

#11 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

I would say in chronlogical order. :)

#12 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

phlox, one of the most impressive topic resurrections I've ever seen... 2 1/2 years.

OT-PT-OT again. :)
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#13 Jamjumetley

Jamjumetley

Crewman 2nd Class

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:23 AM

The Originals first.

There is a thing they shouldn't have done in Episode III - they shouldn't show that Luke and Leia are twins, and that Vader is their father. We should discover that after watching "The Empire Srikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi". For someone who would watch the films in chronological order giving those information in Ep V and VI is pointless.

#14 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

The Originals first.

There is a thing they shouldn't have done in Episode III - they shouldn't show that Luke and Leia are twins, and that Vader is their father. We should discover that after watching "The Empire Srikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi". For someone who would watch the films in chronological order giving those information in Ep V and VI is pointless.

Thats a good point. For the viewer, watching from ep I through VI there is little suspense left due to the unveiling of Luke and Leia's birth in Ep III.

#15 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:25 AM

George Lucas has stated that he wrote the Prequel Trilogy as if all 6 films would be watched in chronological order. If you watch them that way, they blend best that way. However, it does kill all the fun of watching Darth Vader tell Luke that he's his father, that Leia's his sister, and that Yoda's a Jedi Master.

There's a couple of suggestions about this, though. Some have suggested watching Ep. IV and V, then watching I, II and III as if they were a flashback, filling in the holes about the information that was just revealed. Then topping it all off with VI for the big finale.

You could probably even go a step further and maybe watch VI all the way up to where Obi-Wan tells Luke about Vader and Leia, then you could go back and watch the Prequel Trilogy, again as if it's a flashback, then finish up VI. Although this would kill the dramatic structure of the III and VI film.

Of course, while I agree that the Original Trilogy should be watched first, I will disagree that the order the films should be watched should be IV, V, VI, I, II, III because III ends on such a dark note, that's hardly the taste you want to have in your mouth after 15 hours.

So, maybe we could try it this way: Watch IV first. Then watch I (though you could more or less skip this film, IMO) and II. Then watch V. Then III and then VI. That should keep the dramatic structure of the films in tact, introduces all of the plot points without spoiling any major storylines and you literally show the darkest moments of the trilogy as you prepare for the climax that is Return of the Jedi. Though I haven't tried it this way, I think this would work well if you were to show someone the entire series for the first time.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#16 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

Surprise shmruprise....whatever - we ALL know what happens any way...watch them in chronogical order, that way you'll save the best three for last.... ;)

Edited by Terilynn, 13 January 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#17 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

It should be watched in chronologily order....starting with the prequals first and then the originals after

Posted Image

#18 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Start with I & II, but don't let them get you discouraged, they do get better. Then move on to III (not bad), IV (the best) and the final two V & VI. Oh yeah, watch the updated versions of IV thru VI. The CGI looks tons better than the original.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#19 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

George Lucas has stated that he wrote the Prequel Trilogy as if all 6 films would be watched in chronological order. If you watch them that way, they blend best that way. However, it does kill all the fun of watching Darth Vader tell Luke that he's his father, that Leia's his sister, and that Yoda's a Jedi Master.

Doesn't that beg the question why he simply didn't make them in chronological order in the first place?! :blink:

#20 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

Doesn't that beg the question why he simply didn't make them in chronological order in the first place?! :blink:

Can you imagine there being a second Star Wars it The Phantom Menace was the first? :lol:

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users