The Death of Obi-Wan Kenobi

24 replies to this topic

#1 SirPhilip86

SirPhilip86

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

I have strongly felt that Obi-Wan could have taken Vader. But was his death really needed. In my opinion he should have stayed around long enough to properly train Luke , replies are welcome.
" JOIN THE ANTI-BUNNY ALLIANCE AND STOP THEM FROM WREAKING HAVOC IN AUSTRALIA!"

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:16 PM

Vader was more powerful than Obi-wan, I doubt he could take him.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#3 SirPhilip86

SirPhilip86

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:21 PM

well i think yoda could at least. for being over 800 years old look how fast that little guy can move.
" JOIN THE ANTI-BUNNY ALLIANCE AND STOP THEM FROM WREAKING HAVOC IN AUSTRALIA!"

#4 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

Yoda as a puppet no, Yoda as CGI(like in EPisode 2 and 3) yes.

However Dooku managed to hold off yoda, and Anakin is way stronger than Dooku. Though Dooku ran at the end <_<

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."

#5 jjcj

jjcj

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

Ob-Wan felt it was necessary. He gave his life freely, because he felt that he would be of more use to Luke that way. I believe it also helped to throw Darth Vader off for a time, also.

#6 starbase

starbase

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

I'm really looking forward to Wednesday night at midnight :clap: but I can't say it brings an end as Lucas told us he is developing a live action tv show while he was here during C3 he hinted that the tv show would be between ep2 and ep3 timeframe.

Rusty

#7 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

Well Star Wars has made billions...it has a lot of merchandise /video games/ books, etc. Even without those 2 new TV series, SW would still survive.

Posted Image

#8 starbase

starbase

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

oh i agree totally, celebration III was supposed to be the final SW convention but there are talks already for a celebration IIII

Rusty

#9 Shogun of Truth

Shogun of Truth

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

oh i agree totally, celebration III was supposed to be the final SW convention but there are talks already for a celebration IIII

Rusty

View Post

:busted_cop: You mean Celebration IV.

"IIII" is an incorrect use of roman numerals. :busted_cop:
Posted Image
"As long as the sun, moon and earth exist, everything will be all right."
- End of Evangelion

#10 Sir William

Sir William

Rear Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:03 AM

:busted_cop: You mean Celebration IV.
"IIII" is an incorrect use of roman numerals.  :busted_cop:

View Post

Actually, it's not. IIII and IV are both acceptable traditional Roman numerals for 4. In fact, on clocks, you're supposed to use "IIII:"

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:49 AM

Vader was more powerful than Obi-wan, I doubt he could take him.

View Post

While i can't explain if Obi Wan was stronger or not i can only speculate... while Luke was training something made Obi Wan feel dizzy... that was the entire planet being destroyed and millions of people being killed... I suspect that while the Sith feed their strenght by suffering of others the Jedi are weakened by the pain of others... Remember, the Sith only think of themselves and care for noone else while the Jedi were selfless, carring deeply for the others and helping if they could...

Also, in the third part Obi Wan said that he couldn't kill his own brother as he named Anakin. Even as he was standing near the almost completely dissembodied Anakin he still had the pity that stalled his saber and he after his whining speech left to depart from the planet leaving Vader alone so he was rescued and remade into what later "killed" Obi wan... but Obi allready knew the secret of immortality that he learned from his mentor who also lived in the force...

He could therefore be there for Luke and eventually tell him about his sister.

Obi Wan could have killed Darth vader before he could be transformed into mechanical Sith lord. He chose not to.
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...

Olórin (Gandalf): Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Legolas:"Boe a hyn... Neled herein - dan caer menig."
Aragorn:"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras."
Legolas:"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen-ú-erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer."
Aragorn:"Then i shall die as one of them!"
Posted Image
Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie? (Do you speak Elvish?)

#12 jenniferinstars

jenniferinstars

Trek4Tots East Coast Coordinator

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:57 AM

Obi Wan's death was nessesary, he needed to sacrifice himself to save Luke and the others for their escape. Besides he told Vader" Strike me down, I will only become more powerful". Which he did, he was Luke's guide.
Trek4Tots East Coast Coordinator/ www.trek4tots.com
Cult Member~Bring on the Kool-Aid!
So long and thanks for all the fish!
<- Look at my new picture of Dave! He should have been father of my 1st two kids.

#13 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

Obi Wan's death was nessesary, he needed to sacrifice himself to save Luke and the others for their escape. Besides he told Vader" Strike me down, I will only become more powerful". Which he did, he was Luke's guide.

View Post

Of course, his plan was not to escape and even Vader knew it.

He lowered his guard to LET Vader kill him. In a way it could be said it was a rational transaction... one life to save milions. His death had in the long term the consequence of the empire loosing both the deathstars and the war.
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...

Posted Image

#14 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:51 PM

While i can't explain if Obi Wan was stronger or not i can only speculate... while Luke was training something made Obi Wan feel dizzy... that was the entire planet being destroyed and millions of people being killed... I suspect that while the Sith feed their strenght by suffering of others the Jedi are weakened by the pain of others... Remember, the Sith only think of themselves and care for noone else while the Jedi were selfless, carring deeply for the others and helping if they could...

Also, in the third part Obi Wan said that he couldn't kill his own brother as he named Anakin. Even as he was standing near the almost completely dissembodied Anakin he still had the pity that stalled his saber and he after his whining speech left to depart from the planet leaving Vader alone so he was rescued and remade into what later "killed" Obi wan... but Obi allready knew the secret of immortality that he learned from his mentor who also lived in the force...

He could therefore be there for Luke and eventually tell him about his sister.

Obi Wan could have killed Darth vader before he could be transformed into mechanical Sith lord. He chose not to.

View Post

Obi-wan is very strong but Anakin before turning into Vader could beat him. The reason why Anakin lost was because of his overconfidence, his power was so much that he couldn't control it. Plus Obi-wan luckily had the high ground...and that's where Anakin misjudged Obi-wan and thought he could take him from the platform.

The only jedi stronger than Obi-wan are Mace Windu and Yoda, well that's pretty much true but it theoretical.

Posted Image

#15 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

Yes, well... Just like Count Dooku said... Twice the strenght, double the fool.
Anakin's arrogance and overconfidence was what brought him down.

Posted Image

#16 Overmind

Overmind

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

I have strongly felt that Obi-Wan could have taken Vader. But was his death really needed. In my opinion he should have stayed around long enough to properly train Luke , replies are welcome.

Vader was 'upgraded version'. Don't think Obi-1 could of beaten him.
I am the Universe. Resistance is futile. The Truth is classified.

#17 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

Obi Wan didn't have to die (and he didn't really) - he ascended to the higher plain-of- Jedi existence - a place from which he could better help Luke, regardless of Luke's physical location or situation (as was demonstrated in the cockpit as Luke attacked the Death Star). That is why he told Darth Vader, before allowing himself to be struck down, that once out of his physical body he would be even more powerful and unable to be defeated by the likes of Vader or any other dark Sith.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#18 Overmind

Overmind

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

Looks like Obi Wan helped Skywalker a lot more when dead (aka ghost...higher existance) then when alive.
I am the Universe. Resistance is futile. The Truth is classified.

#19 Osama Thizzladin

Osama Thizzladin

Crewman

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

chewbacca beat up darth vader
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:38 AM

when was that? :huh:
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users