Crazy idea: Excelsior fan movie

66 replies to this topic

#1 Space Nomad

Space Nomad

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

Those of you who have been involved in online fandom for a while probably know that there was once a fan push for a series based upon the U.S.S. Excelsior under the command of Captain Sulu which would have taken place after the TOS movies. I don’t know much about the campaign other than that it happened, and that George Takei expressed disappointment that the series was never considered by Paramount.

So here is my idea: what if George Takei could be convinced to participate in a TU fan movie based on the concept? Yeah, I know that it sounds crazy, buy hey, New Voyages got Walter Koenig and D.C. Fontana to do an episode.

I have no idea whether or not Mr. Takei would even consider it. I think to even get him to think about it, TU would need to do some proof of concept work to prove that it was up to the task. The experience of the New Voyages crew would probably have to play a heavy role. Maybe Jack Marshall could even convince D.C. Fontana to write for it. Also, maybe TU could consider offering to pay Mr. Takei something for reprising his role (I think it might be possible for TU to raise enough).

If the New Voyages crew was unable to play a heavy role, then maybe this would be a good project for TU to consider as a second or third fan film after it has gotten some experience.

Please don’t think I’m insane, I know that it’s probably quite unlikely that this could ever happen… but if did it, it would make quite a statement about the power of fans, wouldn’t it? Maybe George Takei would be interested in it just because of that. Let me know what you think.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Those of you who have been involved in online fandom for a while probably know that there was once a fan push for a series based upon the U.S.S. Excelsior under the command of Captain Sulu which would have taken place after the TOS movies. I don’t know much about the campaign other than that it happened, and that George Takei expressed disappointment that the series was never considered by Paramount.

So here is my idea: what if George Takei could be convinced to participate in a TU fan movie based on the concept? Yeah, I know that it sounds crazy, buy hey, New Voyages got Walter Koenig and D.C. Fontana to do an episode.

I have no idea whether or not Mr. Takei would even consider it. I think to even get him to think about it, TU would need to do some proof of concept work to prove that it was up to the task. The experience of the New Voyages crew would probably have to play a heavy role. Maybe Jack Marshall could even convince D.C. Fontana to write for it.  Also, maybe TU could consider offering to pay Mr. Takei something for reprising his role (I think it might be possible for TU to raise enough).

If the New Voyages crew was unable to play a heavy role, then maybe this would be a good project for TU to consider as a second or third fan film after it has gotten some experience.

Please don’t think I’m insane, I know that it’s probably quite unlikely that this could ever happen… but if did it, it would make quite a statement about the power of fans, wouldn’t it?  Maybe George Takei would be interested in it just because of that.   Let me know what you think.

View Post

I would love to see Captain Sulu back in action, if Paramount does not want to do it. I would be happy even with a 30 minute fan made jaunt aboard Excelsior. Dont forget Christian Slater! I bet he would love to do it.
Letters Division Member

Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: You know, if Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illogical human being by taking on a mission like that. Sounds like fun!

#3 Star Trek Excalibur

Star Trek Excalibur

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

It is my understanding that Mr Takei is again lobbying Paramount to make a "Captain Sulu" show as the next Trek series
Everyone should rally around that and start writing Paramount (or UPN)
If there is enough "Buzz" about this and Paramount thinks it can make money on Trek again (without The current producers)
Bring back Gene's people to do it. On, They can get Manny Coto as well :)

Joseph

#4 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

It is my understanding that Mr Takei is again lobbying Paramount to make a "Captain Sulu" show as the next Trek series
If there is enough "Buzz" about this and Paramount thinks it can make money on Trek again (without The current producers)

Joseph

View Post

Ooh, that sounds pretty neat. Could you point me to where you heard that?

Posted Image

#5 Star Trek Excalibur

Star Trek Excalibur

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:31 PM

I did a search for Star Trek Excelsior and added Takei and found the article

#6 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

This idea has been around for years, no doubt Paramount has already heard it. I wouldn't be too interested in the series, but I'll watch it no matter what. Hopefully Coto will be in charge :)

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#7 starbase

starbase

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:39 AM

I think it would be great to see George in the "seat" again I think it would make a great movie of the week. I'll give him a call and find out what his interest is.

I think there are some legal issues with paying talent to appear in fan films such as New Voyages since they are not a licensed partner with Viacom. I could be wrong on that so its best to check with Jack.

Rusty

#8 CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:57 AM

I think it would be great to see George in the "seat" again I think it would make a great movie of the week. I'll give him a call and find out what his interest is.

I think there are some legal issues with paying talent to appear in fan films such as New Voyages since they are not a licensed partner with Viacom. I could be wrong on that so its best to check with Jack.

Rusty

View Post

It would have made an awesome mini-series. I really just dont understand Paramount at all. The create this great stuff and then stumble again and again.
Letters Division Member

Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: You know, if Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illogical human being by taking on a mission like that. Sounds like fun!

#9 Space Nomad

Space Nomad

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:47 AM

Rusty

View Post

Wow, you mean you can just dial the guy up and talk to him? Very cool! Do you know him?

When you call, maybe you could assure him that the fan movie would be New Voyages or Star Wars: Revelations quality (I hope we could assure that)…hopefully he wouldn’t find the idea too silly and would consider it like Walter Koenig did.... Maybe we should wait and iron out how much TU interest there is and whether or not we would be able to pay him before you call.

I would be quite overjoyed if this actually happened....Thanks Rusty :D

#10 Space Nomad

Space Nomad

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:50 PM

Joseph

View Post

If that's true then its good to know he still interested in the concept. Who knows, maybe someday Paramount will listen to him. I'd sure love a mini-series, but I would honestly be quite shocked if paramount gives us anything trek for 10 years.

But one can always hope. In the mean time, I'll be looking forward to fan movies what ever there about. Ever time I see one it just blows me away that fans could pull it off, even when the production values aren't perfect :)

#11 Captain59

Captain59

Commodore

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:23 PM

Captain Sulu is my favorite Star Trek character and I would LOVE to see either a series or movie about him and the Excelsior. Do we know if he would be interested?
Mark

Today is a very important day. - T'Pol, "Twilight"

It took 12 years, but Archer was finally cured and Earth saved because Dr. Phlox never gave up. Today could be our important day to save Star Trek: Enterprise, we don't know. But like Dr. Phlox, we can never give up.

#12 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:26 PM

Captain Sulu is my favorite Star Trek character and I would LOVE to see either a series or movie about him and the Excelsior. Do we know if he would be interested?

View Post

He was as of December 2004: http://www.trektoday...081204_01.shtml

Posted Image

#13 Captain59

Captain59

Commodore

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

Chase interviewed him yesterday, and this is part of the summary:

Before “Enterprise” premiered, Paramount requested that fans submit ideas for new Star Trek shows, and The Excelsior with Captain Sulu commanding was one of the concepts. Even now, George would love to do the series if ever offered the script.
Mark

Today is a very important day. - T'Pol, "Twilight"

It took 12 years, but Archer was finally cured and Earth saved because Dr. Phlox never gave up. Today could be our important day to save Star Trek: Enterprise, we don't know. But like Dr. Phlox, we can never give up.

#14 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

I wouldn't mind a Excelsior story...but people got to move quickly for this idea to get off the ground

#15 Qundar

Qundar

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:08 AM

Hi,

I'd watch it. There are other ideas I'm more interested in, but this'd be good.

#16 NX01

NX01

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:49 AM

Its not a bad idea. As long as it doesn't turn out like that god awful game "Shattered Universe" I'll be happy.
Art Department
Flash Programming Team

Posted Image

Legends Never Die...

#17 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

I'm a hugh fan of George's. Anything he'd be in I'd watch, especially if it's Sulu based.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#18 Space Nomad

Space Nomad

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:51 PM

Chase interviewed him yesterday, and this is part of the summary:

Before “Enterprise” premiered, Paramount requested that fans submit ideas for new Star Trek shows, and The Excelsior with Captain Sulu commanding was one of the concepts. Even now, George would love to do the series if ever offered the script.

View Post

Thanks Captain59. I went and listened to it, it’s quite a good interview. He talked about some of the things he was doing now; the man is still quite active. This photo was up on thefandom.com accompanying the article:

Posted Image
I think he still looks young enough for the role, don’t you? Not a bad picture of Chase either…

I wouldn't mind a Excelsior story...but people got to move quickly for this idea to get off the ground

View Post

I wish I knew someway to make that happen. I posted this here hoping Tim or maybe Jack Marshall would see it and express interest in the idea. I’m guessing that by now Tim has at least seen the thread, although maybe Jack Marshall hasn’t. I sent him a PM asking him to take a look at it but I don’t know if he ever got it. New Voyages and the leaders of TU are the only people I know of who could get something like this rolling. I probably would have found the idea too farfetched to suggest if both NV and TU hadn’t so recently shown what big things they were capable of.

Like I said, I know it isn't likely for something to come of this, but I just had to post the idea just to see. What kind of TUer would I be if I didn’t at least try it? :)

#19 Sevens

Sevens

Ambassador of Awesome

• Members
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

well, I'm not exactly fond of the idea...but I would definitely give it a try. :D

Proud member of the Men's Auxiliary of S.A.N.I.T.Y.

#20 blennishia

blennishia

Crewman 2nd Class

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

This isn't a crazy idea-it would be best to have an existing character as an anchor for any new series. It would be great to go retro and write for the TOS storyline.
Imagine-Captain Sulu,karate,tea and occasional guest stars like..."Kirk?"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users