Photo

Your opinion about "Phase 2"

11 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of phase 2 (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of phase 2

1. Would have been one of the best Star Trek series (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. A great idea (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

3. They did better with the movie (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

4. Bad idea (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. What are you talking about? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mc Douglas

Mc Douglas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

Well, I have the book about the never realized Star Trek: Phase 2 project which became "Star Trek: The motion picture". The way I see it, the series would have been one of the best Star Trek series. We would have a totaly different Star Trek today. :)
"Sag mal Atan, das Ganze war doch wohl nur ein böser Traum, oder? - Viel schlimmer, das war Science Fiction." (Raumpatrouille Orion)

"I've always wondered why it's okay for football fans to go to a football game with their faces painted and sloshing beer around and that's considered old fashioned American fun. Yet someone dressing as a Klingon is considered weird. You don't see Star Trek fans after a convention running through the streets and turning over cars or breaking windows in a drunken haze. Star Trek fans benevolent optimistic and incredibly intelligent."
(Manny Coto 02/23/05)

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 johneh

johneh

Commodore

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:02 PM

I think a lot of the PHASE II ideas got incorporated into TNG, which was defnitely the best TREK series (unless ENTERPRISE gets Season 5).
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#3 SirPhilip86

SirPhilip86

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway considering i was not born yet. :vulcan:
" JOIN THE ANTI-BUNNY ALLIANCE AND STOP THEM FROM WREAKING HAVOC IN AUSTRALIA!"

#4 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:18 PM

I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway considering i was not born yet. :vulcan:

View Post

Well, you probably would be able to catch reruns or DVDs if it was ever produced.

Posted Image

#5 CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:28 PM

Well, I have the book about the never realized Star Trek: Phase 2 project which became "Star Trek: The motion picture". The way I see it, the series would have been one of the best Star Trek series. We would have a totaly different Star Trek today.  :)

View Post

The movies were fine. But they were few and far between. The cast was still fairly young and we really could of had something there, wasted years and years in between movies. I much would have rather had a new series with the TOS crew, then they could have done some movies like TNG did. Then TNG could have came next.

TNG used some of the scripts from phase II I believe.
Letters Division Member

Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: You know, if Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illogical human being by taking on a mission like that. Sounds like fun!

#6 Hayddon

Hayddon

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:45 AM

The movies were fine. But they were few and far between. The cast was still fairly young and we really could of had something there, wasted years and years in between movies. I much would have rather had a new series with the TOS crew, then they could have done some movies like TNG did. Then TNG could have came next.

View Post

Here and there they used it in TNG.
Allot was used though in the motion picture.
I need to find that book again for phase II

-=Second star to the right and straight on till morning=-

#7 leandar

leandar

Crewman 2nd Class

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

It's unlikely I believe, that Trek would have lasted long. The series was scheduled for Saturday nights, at a time when the target audience wouldn't be home. If you find the Phase II book, the author himself says that Trek might have died after a year or two if this series had happened and that its reanimation as ST:TMP was likely the best way to go and I think it's safe to say he's right.

View Post

"The Child" and "Devil's Due" were rewrites of Phase II scripts. And obviously "In Thy Image" was the early version of ST:TMP.

The Phase II book has a script for "In Thy Image" and "The Child," and the latter is better than the TNG episode, which was also good.

That wasn't all that was lifted from Phase II. The concept of the first officer leading landing party missions came from Phase II. Riker and Troi's romance were a direct descendent of Decker and Ilia, right down to Riker leaving Betazed without saying goodbye to Troi just like Decker left Delta IV without saying goodbye to Ilia. Also, Ilia's empathic powers were supposed to be shown much more in the series and she would have eventually become an unofficial counselor for the ship, just like Troi. Also, Data's search for humanity is a parallel to how Xon was to have been, a full Vulcan trying to let some emotions out in order to better fit in with the rest of the crew.

I'm sure there are other examples but that's all I can think of now.

#8 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

I think that the movie helped to re-ignite the franchise and was pretty good. :clap:

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

With the benefit of hindsight they did better with the movie. From what I've seen of the concept art for Phase II and the very few photos around of ~ particularly ~ Xon, it didn't seem to be different enough from TOS to bring new audiences in, but annoyingly different enough for TOS fans to have rejected it outright because they would have been hankering after the original crew ~ which in the end was what they got! In fact ~ to coin a phrase ~ with the run of TOS movies and TNG, we got the best of both worlds! :lol:

#10 Nickolov

Nickolov

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:04 AM

It could be interesting, why not? But I think they did better with the movie. As far as I know, Mr.Nimoy didn't wanted to be in Phase II, so Star Trek without Spock? I don't think so.

Macedonian National Coordinator @ TFU

Posted Image

MakTrek blog | Crapwerk blog

#11 chrisis1033

chrisis1033

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:55 PM

From reading the book Phase II The Lost Series I really think this series would have kicked ass. Granted that Spock was not going to be part of the crew... however who knows what really would have happened with Nimoy/Spock if the series would have come closer to being aired.

The uniforms rocked. The Refit Enterprise (very similar to the Movie Enterprise) looked beautiful. The sample scripts included seems to be good stories.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Didn't seem much different from the original to me, replace Spock with Xon, and you've basically got the same mix. Even the 'bible' staes the McCoy Xon relationship was identical to that of McCoy Spock.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users