Photo

Should I Buy It

17 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the First Contact SCE worth my money? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the First Contact SCE worth my money?

1. Yes (19 votes [90.48%])

Percentage of vote: 90.48%

2. No (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sevens

Sevens

Ambassador of Awesome

• Members
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

I ask this because I already have the normal DVD version...so should I get this even though I already have the regular DVD? Is it worth it?

Proud member of the Men's Auxiliary of S.A.N.I.T.Y.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Space Nomad

Space Nomad

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

I just bought it.

The tribute to Jerry Goldsmith made me sad :(

He was awesome.

#3 AtomicGreymon

AtomicGreymon

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:29 PM

It's unfortunate Paramount decided to release single-disc versions of the movies at all. Personally, ever since I got a DVD player, I've always avoided buying single-disc releases. They're pretty pointless to buy, as a better version will be released eventually. Even if it's a favourite movie, I hold out on buying it. As an example, I've never bought Spaceballs despite the fact you can usually pick it up for about $6. And now, a bit later this year, there's a 2-disc Special Edition of the movie being released.

However, First Contact's SCE isn't really that much; it's certainly cheaper than most 2-disc releases. I got it for $14.95 Canadian, whereas most good releases are in the high 20s or low 30s.

I'd go for it. The bonus features are pretty good, and though I've never seen the original DVD of the movie, I've read in reviews that the SCE's video transfer is improved, as well as the addition of a DTS track.
Posted Image

#4 Nylorac

Nylorac

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

Yes, yes, yes!!! Cool extras!!! Jerry Goldsmith tribute very cool (sad too)!!!! I think we have multiple versions of all the movies (VHS & DVD), oh well, what cha gonna do? At least its not as bad as all the versions of TLOTR :rolleyes: !!!
Posted Image

#5 Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

Yes, yes, yes!!! Cool extras!!! Jerry Goldsmith tribute very cool (sad too)!!!! I think we have multiple versions of all the movies (VHS & DVD), oh well, what cha gonna do? At least its not as bad as all the versions of TLOTR :rolleyes: !!!

View Post

until of course they release the extra special collectors edition directors cut or something stupid like that

#6 Space Pirate

Space Pirate

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

At least its not as bad as all the versions of TLOTR :rolleyes: !!!

View Post

I just wait 'till they release the boxed "collector editions" :thumbsup:
"We're mild and green, and squeaky clean..."
GET FIREFOX!

#7 HM_Murdock

HM_Murdock

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

Its sad how they've done it. But it was just like how things happened with Star Wars.

You had the original 3 moves out at the cinema, then on VHS shortly after. Then they re-released it on VSH with THX sound & video re-mixing, then the "new" special edition released at the cinemas, then they brought that out on VHS shortly after saying "This will never be released again" Episode one comes along at the cinema, then comes to VHS, and out of the blue it comes on DVD, then the Old 3 movies make the DVD appearnce.

Star Trek has been sorta the same sadly. Not sure if I even want to guess how much money both have made from scams like that.
I bent my wookiee. :(

#8 canman7

canman7

Ensign

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:46 AM

Let me answer your question like this. Star Trek First Contact will be one of the first high definition DVDs out at the end of the year. HD DVD
Fans do not cease to exist simply because they are ignored.

#9 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

Let me answer your question like this. Star Trek First Contact will be one of the first high definition DVDs out at the end of the year. HD DVD

View Post

I guess I'll have to get that too! :clap: That way I have three copies for every possible setup! :clap:
Acutally, I still need to get the LaserDisc version... :lol:

Posted Image

#10 AtomicGreymon

AtomicGreymon

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

I guess I'll have to get that too! :clap: That way I have three copies for every possible setup! :clap:
Acutally, I still need to get the LaserDisc version... :lol:

View Post

That may prove unwise. Even putting aside the fact that HD-DVD is the inferior format between itself and Blu-Ray; it's very doubtful whether this disc will contain anything the newly-released SCE doesn't already have. So, unless you feel like spending the likely-to-be $1000+ price for an HD-DVD player when they're first released, and are willing to risk the HD-DVD format failing utterly in the wake of Blu-Ray (hopefully, it will); it may be a better choice to hold off on buying anything to do with either of the next-gen formats.
Posted Image

#11 canman7

canman7

Ensign

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

That may prove unwise.  Even putting aside the fact that HD-DVD is the inferior format between itself and Blu-Ray; it's very doubtful whether this disc will contain anything the newly-released SCE doesn't already have.  So, unless you feel like spending the likely-to-be $1000+ price for an HD-DVD player when they're first released, and are willing to risk the HD-DVD format failing utterly in the wake of Blu-Ray (hopefully, it will); it may be a better choice to hold off on buying anything to do with either of the next-gen formats.

View Post

I'm a bit more optomistic, I hope the HD-DVD and blueray will go the way of the dvd-r and dvd+r formats. The future players will play both. That seems to be the best of both worlds. Cheap HD-DVDs for the masses and high quality blueray for the hometheater fanitics. I think it will work out in the end in order to help the transition to HDTV from standard TV. Remember they are still willing to merge the two formats at this time.

So put on a happy face. :)
Fans do not cease to exist simply because they are ignored.

#12 AtomicGreymon

AtomicGreymon

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

The future players will play both. That seems to be the best of both worlds. Cheap HD-DVDs for the masses and high quality blueray for the hometheater fanitics. I think it will work out in the end in order to help the transition to HDTV from standard TV. Remember they are still willing to merge the two formats at this time.

Maybe, however the first generation of next-gen format players won't play both types of discs; unless there's some combination of the two formats before they're launched in North America. And if there is a combo-player among the first generation, the price tag will probably double if you want one relative to a single-format player.

I do intend to switch over to a next-gen format eventually; when there's a slightly more reasonable price and a format which looks to be sticking around instead of going under, but there's no way anyone could convince me to buy into the things at the very beginning, when the industry is in its infancy.
Posted Image

#13 SirPhilip86

SirPhilip86

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

Of course! it's got great bonus features i got it back in March. :vulcan:
" JOIN THE ANTI-BUNNY ALLIANCE AND STOP THEM FROM WREAKING HAVOC IN AUSTRALIA!"

#14 leandar

leandar

Crewman 2nd Class

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:09 AM

Yes, get it. Do not settle for that awful bare bones edition. Get the SE and be proud of it!!!

:)

#15 Borg

Borg

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:46 PM

The Special Edition DVD is worth it plainly for Jonathan Frakes' commentary. I highly recommend it.
"If the Continuum has told you once it's told you a thousand times: Don't provolk the Borg!"
--Q, Star Trek: Voyager - Q2

#16 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:50 PM

It's ok. Some of the bonus features (director's commentary, featurrettes, etc.) and as already mentioned the Jerry Goldsmith tribute are worth the price, but it's not an absolute MUST buy like some of the other SCE.

However, by now I'm sure it's been marked down at Wal-mart or someplace like that (IF you can find it) so why not get it?

Posted Image

#17 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

Totally worth it!

#18 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members