How did you get into Star Trek?

116 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

Mine begins pretty much the day I was born. My father has always been a casual Trekkie; he watched the original Star Trek, went to all the movies, but didn't buy anyhting extra. So, I'm born in October 1986, The Next Generation has been on the air for a month, and my father watches it on a weekly basis too. So, I being a little kid, want to do whatever daddy's doing, so I watch Star Trek. The first episode I can recall seeing is The Best of Both Worlds. Of course, I can't recall much about it (still haven't gotten to see it again).
So, here I am, 8 years old, and Voyager comes on the air. I go to my first Star Trek movie, Generations. I'm hooked. I have to learn more about this Kirk fellow. Suddenly, the Sci-Fi channel starts showing the original series, so I start watching. Now that's three series I'm watching (I never got into DS9 the first time around, the station concept just didn't appeal to me), two movies, and dozens of novels from the library. Time to buy the Encyclopedia. Oh, what a wonderful, wide world was opened to my eyes.
I finally got into Deep Space Nine just as it was ending. And then Voyager ended a short time later. What was I to do? My Star Trek experience was over- oop, nevermind, here comes this new show. Reading the rumors, early on they said it was going to be an Excelsior series, but we all learned that it would be Enterprise. I tried to watch, but scheduling conflicts prevented me from watching most of Seasons 1-3. I actually lost interest in Enterprise. Of course, the 24th century still had my attention, but there wass nothing new going on except for Nemesis. Anyway, I go off to college and Enterprise moves nights, and suddenly I have time to watch it. And it's good! Shock and Awe! I start lurking about on Save Enterprise.com, and then Enterprise is cancelled and this place opens up. I come, contribute, and join the effort. IIt's here that I finally realize the profound effects Star Trek hsa had on me, and I now know that it is something we cannot allow to die.

So, that's my story. What's yours?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Captain Hunter

Captain Hunter

Deputy Director

• VIP
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:47 AM

Not much of a story to tell, really. I can remember being a fan pretty much as far back as I can remember. I recall playing Star Trek at my birthday party when I was 5 or 6, back in the seventies. Though I probably became a hardcore fan in my teens.
Posted Image

#3 Williams

Williams

'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team 'Doctor Who' Researc

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

I've always had a sort of intrest in it, but It was when I first played Elite Force in '99 that I really started to get into trek.
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King.

Posted Image- Targ & Duck Pub! Now open for business :)

#4 Mc Douglas

Mc Douglas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

Well I grew up with Captain Future and Star Wars. As young boy I playd with my Star Wars action toys in the garden of my best friend. I watched TOS, but I did not like it. I also watched the first to seasons of TNG.

I became a really Trekkie short before my graduation. Most of my schoolfriends watched Star Trek and at that time the Star Trek CCG was the attraction everyone talked about. We traded the cards in the breaks. At the same time DS9 started in German TV. Cause of the many crossover episodes I decided to also watch the re-runs of TNG which were broacasted before DS9. Well so it started.

After school I did not go to the army. Instead I worked for our local catholic church in a youth club. With the money I earned I started buying merchandise (video tapes, my first uniform, english books...). At the same time I started going to our local Trekdinner. There I met my best friends and my former girl-friend. We are freinds until know and one year later I started doing conventions.

So until know I visited 15 conventions. :) :clap:
"Sag mal Atan, das Ganze war doch wohl nur ein böser Traum, oder? - Viel schlimmer, das war Science Fiction." (Raumpatrouille Orion)

"I've always wondered why it's okay for football fans to go to a football game with their faces painted and sloshing beer around and that's considered old fashioned American fun. Yet someone dressing as a Klingon is considered weird. You don't see Star Trek fans after a convention running through the streets and turning over cars or breaking windows in a drunken haze. Star Trek fans benevolent optimistic and incredibly intelligent."
(Manny Coto 02/23/05)

Posted Image

#5 homere

homere

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:23 PM

I grewn up with Star Trek,ummmm here Star Trek Classic was on TV only in 1985, something like it. I like sky and stars. Now with TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, i like futur views, stories, actor's play, art technology...
I like Starfleet rule, star trek culture, i hope in good future.......for my (future) children, in this sad time it is important!
and now, here, i meet nice people.............you :clap:

#6 wiegeabo

wiegeabo

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

Simple enough story. My mom loved Star Trek, so I've been watching it since I was around four. Then a few years later TNG came on the air, and I've been a junkie since.

#7 kaiidth

kaiidth

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:50 PM

Basically my parents have a large sf collection, so I learned to read on works like Damon Knight, Harry Harrison and Isaac Asimov. Then TOS appeared on TV and I fell for it hook, line, sinker and copy of Angling Times.

I became a massive TOS fan and read all the novels that I could lay my hands on. Then when TNG came out I watched it with avidity until they managed to kill off Tasha Yar. She being my favourite TNG character, I moved on to watching it with mere interest :D

Then DS9 came out and I fell in love with the show - I actually bought it on video for the first year or two because they hadn't got around to broadcasting it on terrestrial TV before releasing it on VHS.

And so on.

And the people are so nice. Compared to fans for certain other shows, particularly, but even generally there's an amazingly high proportion of trek fans who are just... happy to share the Trek.
Posted Image

Forum Morale Division Member

Official "Trek United Donation Ticker Watcher Show "-Member

#8 seamus

seamus

Commodore

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

I started out pretty young. I was about 6 or 7 and one day my dad was watchin tos reruns on german tv. I remembered liking it so much I was even dreaming about it. One night my cousin was babysitting me, and when she came into my room I was talking in my sleep. I said:" they are atacking us captain Kirk arm phasers" She always tells me that story when I visit her......
A few years later TNG started it's firsth run in holland, since ep. one I was hooked and never missed one star trek ep. if i could help it.. It was from tos to tng to ds9 over voyager to Enterprise and I love them all :)
Later when I first met my girlfriend she told me something she never told anyone before. She watches TNG religiously. And now we both watch all trek together...... :)

#9 Sevens

Sevens

Ambassador of Awesome

• Members
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

Well, it all started one night in spring 2001 when I watched a rerun of Voyager. Surprisingly enough, it was the first time I had ever sat down and watched ANYTHING Trek. The sad part is I had no idea that Voyager was still on the air and in its final season untill it was too late. So I just ate up the reruns, visited StarTrek.com, and learned about Enterprise. I read several complaints about Enterprise and tried to watch in ep in its first season...I just couldn't get into it. So I came back for "Carbon Creek" in season 2 and fell in love with Enterprise.

I watched every week and even made a point to come back for season 3, it was a show that I just REFUSED to miss, I had to watch it every week. So then I was on TrekToday and learned about SaveEnterprise. I followed up with it and have ever since I first looked at SE. I then read about the formation of TrekUnited and instantly sent in my application. I have loved Trek since the first ep I watched, and will love it forever.

Proud member of the Men's Auxiliary of S.A.N.I.T.Y.

#10 M-5 multitronic unit

M-5 multitronic unit

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:38 PM

My Dad was sort of a fan and I was 7. The local PBS station used to run 3 back to back TOS episodes on Sat. nights. We didn't have cable yet and my Dad am me watched Star Trek. This was years before TNG. Well, after one episode, I was hooked for life! So my Dad and I would wach every Sat. but he would usually fall alseep. :bowdown:
The nine scariest words in the English language are:

I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

#11 Enterprise Best Trek Ever!

Enterprise Best Trek Ever!

Commodore

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:25 AM

When I was a kid I used to watch the original Star Trek and I had seen a couple of the movies. During that time I was into, but later on I wasn't really I fan just a casual watcher you could say. I never really took to DS9, and Voyager I watch from time to time but i didn't really enjoy it. Then in my final year of high school one of my friends told me to watch a sci-fi show that was on late at night. (unfortunately in Australia Enterprise is aired between 11:30pm to 1:30am). So one day while studying and watching TV late at night I bumped into Enterprise. I loved the opening theme and the storyline of how humanity just started to explore the universe. After that I never look back. I haven't missed and episode of Enterprise since. And just a while back they played one of the ST movies. Now that back into it, i going to borrow all the movies from the video shop. I can't wait!
:D
It's been along road getting from there to here but i've finally found my way back to the Star Trek universe! :clap: :clap: :clap:
It is the burden we must carry!
The Wrap Trail is still hot and it will lead us back to Enterprise!
Were steppin Up a Level for the silver will never settle Enterprise is taking the Gold Medal!
Season 5 will prevail!

#12 jacki

jacki

Captain

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:26 AM

I think it was when i was 7 and i saw the first Star trek episode, and that was voyager. Then at first i watched only voyager and if i missed an episode i was crushed. Then i saw my first trek movie, Generations. when i had seen it i wanted more, so i started watching all the movies. I tried to watch TOS but i couldn't do it, so i stopped. After that a friend had all the ds9 seasons so i borrowed them and watched them. Then i realized that i had to watch TOS so i did it. And then of course Enterprise.
"How come the quantum?"

I don't know what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones

Posted Image

#13 Qundar

Qundar

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:23 AM

Hi,

My parents watched TNG when I was little (I'm 17 now just so you know). I remember them building me Kirk's Enterprise out of LEGO. As I grew older, I caught a few TNG episodes and fewer TOS episodes. Never saw DS9. Then my Mom gave me a TNG book called "The Romulan Prize." From then on I was hooked. I gobbled up the books (TNG at first and then TOS). Watched TNG whenever possible. And when Sci-Fi showed TOS, we recorded it. I still haven't watched them all, but will soon. I've only seen maybe 5 VOY episodes. I just started watching DS9 and I love it. I'll be in the Navy though when Spike begins to show VOY. ENT is the only series I have watched as new episodes come out. Love it. 2nd only to TOS. So I guess that is my story. And Trek has inspired me to become a writer of sci-fi (big surprise). So I'm going to work on that.

#14 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:33 AM

Whole family is full of trekkies. Although mom abandoned it when seven came around in voyager. The farthest back I can remember watching trek was just befor heading of to some playland thing for my second or third birthday. It wasn't the PNE, my birthday is to late for that... We did have some circus-like thing with a small amusment park come by through mission every winter, that might have been it. (Mission BC by the way) It was a TNG episode. My grandfather got m,y a styro-fomy thing of the original enterprise. I treated it like a airplane, I through it off the hill below our house and the saucer ot busted off by the air drag. Although if it was ri-enforced It way have floated along aways... Damn thing was nearly four feet long. I think it was a 1/250 scale model.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#15 homere

homere

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:48 AM

many story,one passion for different people

#16 Guest_Mark_*

Guest_Mark_*

• Guests

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:47 PM

Every Saturday morning at 8am on channel 4 when I was a kid TOS was on. Capt Kirk got the girl and stopped the bad guy. He also had that flying through the air kick thing that always took the bad guy out. When your 8 years old that is the bomb. Later I started collecting Trek action figures and toys. Then TNG came along and I had a new show and new toys.

#17 DeAnn

DeAnn

Editor - HFO and FanMagazine - PR Team

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:23 AM

Started watching TOS in the early 70s when I was about 13. When I arrived home from school, I would turn on the TV. Guess what was on?! I was hooked. Started reading anything related to Star Trek and Sci-Fi. I have enjoyed all the various series and I love the latest.

DeAnn

#18 spanners

spanners

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:23 AM

I found Star Trek back in the late 60`s Early 70`s as a young lad, the Space Race was in full swing and then Star Trek appeared on the TV in the UK, I was totally blown away by the ideas and stories. Before there had been nothing like it here. Never looked back since, have always been a fan through good times and bad times. If you like the Original series then I would recommend having a look at the New Voyages site and downloading the episodes off this site, PS Walter Koenig will be making an appearance in one of the next episodes (as checkov I believe) , can hardly wait for it`s release! :)

#19 Shran

Shran

Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:31 AM

It all started for me about 15 years ago (I'm 20). Then somehow everything fell into place with TNG, then DS9, VOY and now ENT. I've been a Trek fan basically my whole life.

#20 SMICOO

SMICOO

Recruitment Center Director

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:41 AM

I saw the first show when I was in the USMC. Than my first convention was 1988 than I was hook when I bought my first custome back when Worf was on Next Generation.
Recruitment Center Director
Posted Image

Vulkon Convention Co-coordinator
http://www.vulkon.com
Deputy Commandant (Maquis Marines) - http://wiki.maquis.com/w/MFMC
Formerly Adjutant General SMI-HLM
Commanding Officer USS Tiberius NCC-50210 SFI-SFMC -
VRDC MEDICAL Region Two
RRO R2
Support Director/SFSO
http://www.usstiberius.org

Reply to this topic