Music and Copyright.

11 replies to this topic

#1 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I know that some fan films are trying to remove copyrighted music from their soundtrack and replace it with original fan music. I applaud that.

I also want to remind people that in early movies, the music used was often NOT composed for them, but was very old, out-of-copyright classical music. Most music from before 1937 at this point will be out of copyright. Sadly, I don't know a place to look to confirm this.

You still need to create your own orchestration of it, but if a section of Beethoven would work, and you neighbor's band will play it for you, that's all good for your film.
Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Darkwing

Darkwing

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

We actually use a piece of computer software called Magix Music Maker. I'm personally not great at composing from scratch (but it has some great loops and generators that create a whole variety of tunes) but Chris K writes all of our music from scratch and then basically "orchestrates" it via computer instruments and software.

Here's an example :)

That's written and created from scratch via Magix Music Maker. There's a whole plethora of this type of software out there and I'm pretty sure even some decent free ones. Mac users of course are familiar with Garageband. Another cool thing is if you were to do what you say, you can always copy the sheet music and skip the whole recording a band bit. So if you wanted that piece from Beethoven, just translate the sheet music into digital notes with digital instruments!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Darkwing,awesome soundtrack.Me really very like,music is very good.This soundtrack as High guard march from "Andromeda".Good job,Darkwing! :thumbsup:

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#4 SteveNeill

SteveNeill

1st Year Cadet

• VIP
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Barb it's funny i should find this thread as I just got a composer on board Sirius. He's a friend I didn't know was a composer for PBS-NOVA and a few other shows. So we will have our own score. Lucky for us he's a Star Trek Fan.

I'm finding on you tube many of my personal videos using classical and old 40s videos are being taken down.I would think if your using the piece and not for resale it would matter.

steve

#5 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

It may be the music is out of copyright but the performance isn't. If I play some music by Bach, I have a right to MY PERFORMANCE of that Bach. I do not have a right to Bach, generally, that's public. If you record the Bach yourself, it's yours. Bach is out of copyright. But if it's done by the Boston Pops, that rendition is protected by copyright.
Posted Image

#6 SteveNeill

SteveNeill

1st Year Cadet

• VIP
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

That's what I thought. Thanks so much fro clarifying that to me as it helps a lot.

Steve

#7 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm here to serve... and to watch and index Star Trek Fan Films! (And yes, respecting L'Stok, I do also keep an index of Star Trek Audio shows!)
Posted Image

#8 fabgirl

fabgirl

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

I was singing along by the end of the video. :)

#9 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

Barb is absolutely right regarding the original composers who are creating for Trek fan productions. This week's featured composer of music for Star Trek fan productions is Bodo Hartwig. Bodo's first introduction to trek fan productions was when he played the part of Lt Solek in Star Trek: Intrepid's first episode Heavy Lies The Crown. You can follow Bodo on FaceBook HERE

Posted Image

It has been Bodo's prodigious talent with musical production, though, which has made him a sought-after composer with themes for Star Trek: Intrepid, Odyssey, Grissom and The Voyages of the U.S.S. Angeles under his belt. You can sample most of his work on his music website HERE

In addition Bodo has written whimsical and wonderful choral and orchestral pieces as well as work for various Indie game and film projects, his latest being Farmageddon by Martin Lejeune, another Intrepid alumni.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#10 Butch

Butch

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

What a difference a few years makes.

People still use copyright Trek music in their productions with no adverse actions from You Tube nor CBS.

We started gathering up free music scores last year just in case, but with the exception of a few of my videos being blocked in Germany, I've had no issues.

Of course, I only have a hand full of viewers/fans, so there might lie the connection.

1490619_628688160575397_6897668575478870

#11 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

That's EXACTLY what the connection is, Butch. Get bigger and they will come after you.

Honk if you love silence.

Author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

banner-ezri.jpg

#12 Butch

Butch

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

ahhh, then I think we'll stay tiny....  :thumbup:

1490619_628688160575397_6897668575478870

Reply to this topic