Sherlock

13 replies to this topic

#1 TCyredanea

TCyredanea

Ensign

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

We all know by now that Mr Cumberbatch will be joining the Star Trek team. So, why not start a topic on Sherlock?
Sherlock aired on BBC One for the first time in 2010 and it is created by Steve Moffat and Mark Gattis (who also acted on the series).
Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr John Watson, Sherlock has two seasons with three episodes each.
I admit I was a little worried about watching it. Sherlock Holmes in the XXI century? It seemed pretty odd to me. But, I was glad to see that my fears were uncalled for. I really liked the series and I'm nervously waiting for season three.
So, what do you think? Worth watching? Good, bad, terrible, amazing? Share your thoughts.

"Science fiction is the most important literature in the history of the world, because it's the history of ideas, the history of our civilization birthing itself. ... (Ray Bradbury)"

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

TC,i have one movie "Sherlock Holmes" on VHS cassette,but i don't watched this movie.Please say: need watching this movie or not?

#3 TCyredanea

TCyredanea

Ensign

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Well, I think it is good and it certainly worths a chance, but that's up to you. I think you should see if it is something of interest for you. But, I think it is good. You should watch it in your free time. :)

"Science fiction is the most important literature in the history of the world, because it's the history of ideas, the history of our civilization birthing itself. ... (Ray Bradbury)"

#4 Darkwing

Darkwing

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Sherlock is some of the best television I've ever watched, and I've watched a lot. It's intelligent, the acting is superb and it holds very true to the original character, moreso in many ways than any of the Sherlock Holmes renditions done that take place in the 19th century. I deftinitely say give it a try, you'll be hooked by episode 1. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 frootlooper

frootlooper

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I absolutely love the BBC series. I haven't had a chance to watch the second season yet, but I really loved the first. I thought they did a really good job staying true to the characters while still making it in present day.

I hadn't connected the dots that it was the same guy in the next star trek movie! Holy cow! I guess I didn't realize it cause his hair's so different maybe.

Posted Image
I may have a... slight... addiction to froot loops.

#6 Darkwing

Darkwing

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Series 2 is equally as good as the first and possibly even better. They really did a fantastic job of adapting the stories once again this season. They do such a great job articulating the characters!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 frootlooper

frootlooper

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Series 2 is equally as good as the first and possibly even better. They really did a fantastic job of adapting the stories once again this season. They do such a great job articulating the characters!

I'm glad to hear that! Even more excited to figure out when I can watch them.

Posted Image
I may have a... slight... addiction to froot loops.

#8 TCyredanea

TCyredanea

Ensign

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I agree with Darkwing. Season two is fantastic as well. The storyline was good, the scenario and the acting too.
:buttrock:

#9 Darkwing

Darkwing

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I was very impressed with the portrayal of Irene Adler. Probably the best version of her character I've seen yet. Comparing it to even Rachel McAdams portrayal, Irene has always come across as annoying in film adaptations and more of just a whiny love thing for Holmes, I'm very glad that they gave Irene intelligence for starters. And an interesting take on Hounds of Baskerville, actually kind of creepy. But of course, Reichenbach Fall takes the cake for season 2. Fantastic finale and very glad they've been granted a season 3!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 TCyredanea

TCyredanea

Ensign

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, it was a fantastic season finale. A very sad one, by the way. But it was really amazing. I hope season three doesn't take a year to air like season two :( .
As for Adler, she is my favorite portrayal, no doubt. She was smart, pretty, and had a strong presence. Not just a love thing, or only an apearence because of the stories, she was The Woman indeed.

#11 May

May

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Wow, I love Sherlock, really. One of the best series I've eve watched. Excellent plot, excellent actors. I must say that I think Benedict Cumberbatch played an amazing Sherlock, so in character and so brilliant. The other actors were really good as well, but I think Benedict was the most jaw-droping one.
The fisr season really got to me. The first episode was perfectly planned to caught just the enough attention and leave you waiting for more. The last one was perfect. The cliffhanger at the end takes the cake for the first season. Perfect.
Season two was even more brilliant, if that's possible. To start Irene Adler was definetely "The Woman". Not just a romantic interest, as Darkwing stated, but almost the only one who could have ever fooled Sherlock Holmes. "The Hounds" was good. Not my favorite Sherlock episode, but it was pretty scary. As for "The Fall", I think it was the most wonderful season finale ever. Moriarty is so well played and the dynamics between Sherlock and John is fantastic. The end made me cry so much, even though I knew he didn't die.
Brilliant. Everyone should give it a try.

#12 Breachwood

Breachwood

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

I love this show from the word go. So much so I have the soundtracks too as the music played well with the flow of the show. I think series 3 is going to be very exciting.

I am a little worried about the latest incarnation which will be aired shortly and that is 'Elementry' with Johnnie Lee Miller as Holmes and Lucy Liu as Watson. It is set in New York which I find rather interesting because I get the impression it is made with a U.S. audience in mind.
It will be fresh and new but whether that is a good thing or not will have to be judged when it starts. I have seen a small clip where Watson and Holmes are together in a room and Holmes is shirtless revealing a huge tattoo across hislef shoulder and upper arm. I don't think the character of Holmes would be the type to have body art as it suggets sentiment and the need to be noticed which the character is not. Saying that, he is also rather egotistical and relishes some attention.

Jury is out on that one!

#13 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

Spoiler

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#14 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

resized_river-song-with-a-banana-meme-ge

Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users