Newbie on Deck!

13 replies to this topic

#1 GalacticGal

GalacticGal

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm not all that great at introductions,so I'll just start by saying hello. I've been a Fan of Star Trek since the early 70's. Yes, I'm that old --- not that I often act or even feel my age. Some could assert it's because I'm a writer, attuned with my inner child. :P Or, that I just like to play. Perhaps, a victim of arrested development?
All would be valid points.

I have recently ventured into the realm of fan fiction. The goal I had when I started a Star Trek novel, years ago, was that the work would be my first valid submission for publication. Part way through, I joined a yahoo group that was then setup as a review/support group for those fans hoping to submit a short story to the "Strange New Worlds" Anthology contest. Some of you, here, might be familiar. They held a contest every year for about ten years, the winners getting published in the anthology. I was admitted into the yahoo group, strictly because I was writing Trek, although I had no aspirations at that time to enter the contest. I posted a couple of chapters for review and one of the other members was kind enough to let me know that Pocket Books and Paramount had Guidelines. :fear: Grateful as I was, I clicked on the link provided and it was as if someone had punched me in the stomach!

Seems I was guilty, just by the story's premise, of breaking several of said Guidelines. I was devastated, but I carried on for practise, if nothing else. (Frankly, the story wouldn't leave me alone, talk about a Nag. LOL) I finished the rough draft, got a few reviews from those in my Writer's group, and afterwards it became clear I had to redraft. Still, it took me awhile to reconnect with the story. It required more than a polite nudge to get me going on it again. Instead, it seems I had to suffer a catestrophic, life-threatening medical situation to bring me around. All said and done, I am blessed to be alive, and to have finished the redraft, as an added bonus. :D

Which is what brings me to this site. A fellow Trek fan from yet another yahoo group suggested I check it out. And, so, here I am.

Hi, All! I look forward to becoming an active member on this site.
"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

WELL...Hello and WELCOME to TU!

We have a great FanFic section here! There is also a TU group on facebook!

Have a good look around. Come by Ten Forward and have an e-drink sometime!
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#3 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Welcome! I, too, do the fan fic thingie.

:)

Honk if you love silence.

Author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

banner-ezri.jpg

#4 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Welcome to TU! I'm one of those who watched TOS first run, so ... you're not the oldest person here! There are entire forums for fan Trek of every variety! Drop by and visit us!!
Posted Image

#5 paulinem

paulinem

Connortator Extraordinaire...

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

Welcome to TU, GalacticGal, enjoy your time here! Posted Image

Posted Image

Persistence, Patience and Perseverance Pays Off!

(practice makes perfect)

#6 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

Welcome on TU Galactic,i hope what you here very like and you will be give enjoy,speaking here.
How many series "Star trek" you watched?I hope what you watched "Deep space nine" and "Voyager"?
I think what you very like watching series "Deep space nine"(season four).Watching episode "Way to the warrior",very epic episode in this series.Too can watching season five and of course seven season and episode "What you live behind".
In "Voyager" you can will be watching episode "Scorpion" in season four and of course epic episode "Endgame" in season seven.You liked other sci fi series?I mean "Andromeda","Babylon-5" and many others?

Edited by Beast Boy, 02 February 2012 - 06:01 AM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#7 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

Welcome aboard, GalacticGal :wave:
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#8 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Welcome to TrekUnited, GalacticGal!

We are very supportive of FanFic.
We have TrekUnited Publishing, if you have any questions over that contact Kirok or Jespah.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#9 TCyredanea

TCyredanea

Ensign

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

:wave: Hello there, welcome aboard!

"Science fiction is the most important literature in the history of the world, because it's the history of ideas, the history of our civilization birthing itself. ... (Ray Bradbury)"

#10 GalacticGal

GalacticGal

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Welcome on TU Galactic,i hope what you here very like and you will be give enjoy,speaking here.
How many series "Star trek" you watched?I hope what you watched "Deep space nine" and "Voyager"?
I think what you very like watching series "Deep space nine"(season four).Watching episode "Way to the warrior",very epic episode in this series.Too can watching season five and of course seven season and episode "What you live behind".
In "Voyager" you can will be watching episode "Scorpion" in season four and of course epic episode "Endgame" in season seven.You liked other sci fi series?I mean "Andromeda","Babylon-5" and many others?

Thank you, Beast Boy. It's nice to be here. And, yes, I sampled each successive Trek series as it came along. I didn't stay with many of them longer than three seasons, however. They just didn't grab me like the original series did. As for what Science Fiction series, other than Trek, that I watched. I loved Firefly and was devastated when they cut it short and yanked if from the airwaves! What's up with that? Happily, a short time later the entire series, including about three episodes that never aired, were available on DVD. And, I made a point to go out and see the movie, Serenity, on opening day.

Thank you, to All of you, for the warm welcome. I do hope to see you 'round the boards.
"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

#11 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Galactic,you watch series "Farscape"?This is very epic sci fi series. me really liked this series when i watch this series on DVD disc.More i very liked animated series about superheroes.If you see my avatar,on avatar persoange from series "Teen Titans".

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#12 Michael D. Garcia

Michael D. Garcia

Crewman

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to TU. :)

And, yes, I sampled each successive Trek series as it came along. I didn't stay with many of them longer than three seasons, however. They just didn't grab me like the original series did.

Hehe, but even TOS didn't last but three seasons, itself. :)

As for what Science Fiction series, other than Trek, that I watched. I loved Firefly and was devastated when they cut it short and yanked if from the airwaves! What's up with that? Happily, a short time later the entire series, including about three episodes that never aired, were available on DVD. And, I made a point to go out and see the movie, Serenity, on opening day.

I loved Firefly, as well. I got to see Serenity at both preview events before it opened nationwide. Waited in line for hours for those showings, too.

MDg
Michael D. Garcia
Ad Astra Archivist & Support Engineer, Ad Astra Star Trek Fanfiction Archive
Head Writer, Star Trek: Full Speed Ahead (part of United Trek!)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

Galactic,if you like watch sci fi series,i mean what you like this series:"battlestar galactica" and "Visitors"
Too can watching Stargate Atlantis.In this series played Robert Picardo.I mean what this three epic series you very like.Enjoy watch!

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#14 Allee

Allee

Just Another Member with Over 3000 Posts

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hi GalacticGal, welcome aboard! Seems like we're getting a few more writers joining TU. Maybe we can get the writing contests going again.

Good to have you here and I'll see you around the boards. :wave:

Connor-picstrip.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users