Photo

TrekUnited Publishing 2012: Upping the ante!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

We are coming up to our second calendar year so now is probably a good time for us to throw open discussion about our goals and challenges for the coming year. Our opening thread still holds pretty true as to the principles of what we want to do and why we are doing it, but after nine months of operation I think we need to re-think some of the roles, responsibilities and goals. This is a summary...

Our mission statement...

TrekUnited Publishing exists to help StarTrek fan fiction authors create and distribute their work, without any charge or expectation of favour beyond our common love of Star Trek. We do this without any implication of copyright ownership beyond the authors moral right to be identified as such and his ownership of original characters and ideas

Our core principles...

Respect for the copyright owner's rights
Respect for the author's and artist's rights
We get nothing out of it beyond the appreciation of the media

I want that last bit to be perfectly clear: we might style ourselves as fan publishers but all we get out it are more eBooks to read and the satisfaction of networking with other fans.
  • We don't charge for what we do either from the authors or the readers
  • We make no claims to ownership of the books
If you are an author and you like what we've done, you can pay us back by writing more and dropping by every now and then to tell us how you're going on.
If you are a reader and you like the books then comment either on the TrekUnited release page or (even better) seek out the author's home forum or group and leave him or her some comment there.

• There will be no limit or favouritism as to where the author originally publishes: TrekUnited, TrekBBS, Ad Astra, The Delphic Expanse, The USS Goodshiplollipop Yahoo Group... Whilst I certainly want to encourage TrekUnited as a venue for publishing fan fiction and art, the masthead of Hailing Frequencies Open is, "Bringing fans together" and I kinda like that. This is our "outreach" programme to help others.
  • TU Publishing is not vanity publishing. Anything we publish has had at least a basic level of appreciative comment. This encourages writers to initially write for their favourite forum / group to get comment and feedback which will polish their work up before sending out into the Interwebs! It also encourages readers that what they see come from us is worth reading.
  • New authors - people who haven't been published before - are given an equal if not higher priority for publishing
  • All works have to be self-edited: our priority is to publish and we don't have the manpower for copyediting is time consuming when done correctly. Good spelling and grammar are vital and we'll spot check a half-dozen places at random on submission to maintain a high standard. Editing errors will count against your submission - I'm trusting you to want to show your work at its best.
  • What we do is format the works to fit various standards that we have established - pdf paperbacks which are the industry standard A format, digest size, full-size 'zine. I will definately be giving people who self-format a priority. We have templates that people can use to bring their work to our minimum standards, in effect doing the groundwork to create your own work, and once it passes quality control I'll happily slip it in our release schedule. NB: This doesn't include eBook publishing: I'll leave it to Richard to set any requirements he needs
  • In general I want this to be seen as us wanting to *help* people to publish their work and most of this is open to discussion.
Kirok of L'Stok
Director of Media
TrekUnited

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

The thing that is open to real debate is: what should we publish and how often?

Initially I looked at publishing in three streams...
  • Our Trekzine, Hailing Frequency Open : Personal Logs
  • Our pdf paperbacks formatted to the same size and proportions as an A format Mass Market Paperback
  • Our Digest sized anthologies / virtual series (script-based) formatted to A5 / Folio US Letter
Our current pool of authors who we have works in progess with are...
  • Jespah
  • Terilynn
  • Madison Bruffy
Our current pool of authors / groups for series are...
  • Despatches From The Romulan War
  • Enterprise S5 Photonovel
  • Star Trek: Eras
  • Star Trek: Imperium
With our current staffing levels we can realistically handle a bi-monthly cycle of
  • First month
    • Gather art and format Trekzine ready for publishing by end of month
    • Publish pdf paperback for cycle at start of month
    • Finalise formatting of series episode and publish at end of month
  • Second month
    • Publish Trekzine at start of month and gather submissions for next cycle
    • Format next cycle's pdf paperback
Whilst it looks like we are giving ourselves more work in the first month, the work on the series should be done as a specific project giving us, in the case of DRW, four episodes finished before the start of its first episode release. (Did that make sense?) As a calendar this will look something like...

Jan - pdf paperback #1 + Series 1.1 (re-release DRW 1)
Feb - HFO Personal Logs #3
May - pdf paperback #2 + Series 1.3 (DRW 3)
Apr - HFO Personal Logs #4
May - pdf paperback #3 + Series 1.4 (DRW 4)
Jun - HFO Personal Logs #5
Jul - pdf paperback #4 + Series 2.1 (Ent S5 Photonovel)
Aug - HFO Personal Logs #6
Sep - pdf paperback #5 + Series 3.1
Oct - HFO Personal Logs #7
Nov - pdf paperback #6 + Series 3.2
Dec - HFO Personal Logs #8

Kirok of L'Stok
Director of Media

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

One thing I'd like to add is that we promote our works, so your name and your title will go out into our Twitter stream, Facebook page, etc., thereby garnering you more readers.

Honk if you love silence.

Published author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Untrustworthy-medium.jpg    banner-ezri.jpg

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

One thing I'd like to add is that we promote our works, so your name and your title will go out into our Twitter stream, Facebook page, etc., thereby garnering you more readers.

By that you mean the the name of the author? Yeah - good idea. How do we get the reader to the author though? He or she might post on multiple forums so if we link to their release thread on TrekUnited, unless the author keeps it up to date, a reader won't know what their latest works are.

I'd like to get a website together for us in 2012, which will revolve around a home page - which will be the page that will be our "virtual shop window" - which references entries on three blogs...
I see these as the "one stop shop for directing a prospective reader to all the information he needs without searching through the forum. In the case of the Twitter stream, you could then put something like, "Another episode of Novatrek available from Madison Bruffy http://tupub-authors...-madison-d.html on TrekUnited Publishing http://tupub-books.b...lder-page.html" where the URLs will be reduced in size of course.

I'll try to get a mockup of a front page during the week.

K

Posted Image

#5 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of (hell, it's why I made myself a website - to make it a one-stop place for my work).

This is the easiest way for authors to get exposure, and to serve their readers -- by not making their readers jump through hoops in order to find their latest creations.

Honk if you love silence.

Published author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Untrustworthy-medium.jpg    banner-ezri.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users