Enterprise - We want it back - what happened to season 5

10 replies to this topic

#1 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

My linkWhy did CBS cancel the Enterprise series? Why? I thought it was the most ground breaking and exciting Star Trek series to date. I mean we finally get to see and experience first contact with all the new species out there beyond our solar system. The Klingons, the Andorians, the Xindi, the Romulans and the Orions plus many more. The series ended right before Jonathan Archer gave his pivotal speech which marked the inception of the United Federation of Planets. I really wanted to hear that speech not watch it from the nose bleed section with Commander Riker and Counselor Troi. What about the Romulans? At the end of season 4, there were references made to future storylines involving the Romulans at the end of the episodes involving the Kir'shara and the restructuring of the Vulcan way of life. Which in essence means season 5 duh!!! What the heck is wrong with you CBS people. As of right now there are no new series out there to watch so why not continue with Enterprise till one hits the drawing board. In fact, a movie surrounding the Romulan threat beginning to surface at the end of season 4 would be great. I mean they made movies out of two of the series created thus far. I read yesterday that about 5 or 6 years ago there was a campaign launched against the CBS execs who took Enterprise off the air to put it back on the air for Season 5. What happened to that campaign? I mean we have the new movies coming out and all and thats great, but we want more Enterprise cause there are too many loose ends left untied at the end of season 4. Do any Star Trek fans out there agree with me?

Edited by jonathan, 17 November 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Oh I agree with you, not only we need season 5, but 6 and 7 as well. The reality is (and it makes me cry) that it will not happen. I love Mr. Abrams new take on Star Trek, but what it has done is opened the door into a new realm and closed the other behind. Of course I am speaking for the general paying audiences/and television audience. For the fans, that other realm will always exist too. But, even if there is no more ENT, I wish we could at least have something about the Romulan Wars....alot of us were hoping (myself included) for a direct-to-dvd movie with the ENT actors. It seems a bit more realistic, but probably a long shot.

Posted Image

#3 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

I have been seeing alot about the Romulan Wars around here lately and I must agree with you as well. That just happens to be one of the loose ends I mentioned in my last post. You know if they opened with Captain Archer's pivotal speech which we did not get to see and than led into the romulan wars. That would be phenomenol to see. If not on the big screen, than perhaps on sci-fi or spike-tv. You know a 2 or 3 hour mini movie to at least bring some closure to those of us who deserve it. Or perhaps as you suggested as well would be fine too.

#4 AquariusNX01

AquariusNX01

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

There were a lot of reasons behind the cancellation of Enterprise. For one thing, its ratings were declining, and this is a business where ratings = money. Unfortunately, this was before they understood and accepted that things were changing in the electronic media landscape -- cable was really starting to change things, and the ratings Enterprise got back then are considered pretty good now. But broadcast TV was too busy living in denial about how competitive cable could be.

Second, I've heard people involved with the show say that the UPN network didn't give it much promotional support.

Third, UPN said it "didn't fit" with their other fare, which followed a "pretty young people with problems" formula.

Fourth, UPN as an entity was collapsing.

Fifth, a lot of people (including myself) saw evidence of lack of support from local UPN affiliate stations. In my market, Enterprise was always getting preempted for hockey, but the alternate showing times were rarely advertised, never consistent, and sometimes bizarre (2am on a Thursday morning?). You always had to go *looking* for it. And people had to sleep sometime.

Sixth, the people who actually watch a show aren't always the people with the Nielsen boxes.

Seventh, I've heard it say that apathy and vitriol within the fandom left a negative mark on the show. While participatory fandom was not a new concept during Enterprise's run, it was the first time when so many fans had Internet access and computers at home. People got to (over)react to what they saw and TPTB were watching. People get bolder and nastier when they have relative anonymity behind a keyboard and a screen name. In short, none of the other series had previously gotten a taste of what a nasty bunch of ingrates some of us can be. I don't know about here because I've only been around for a few months, but I know that there are other fan communities where the alleged "fans" do nothing but trash on the show -- while still claiming to love it. :blink: I understand from the old-timers at those communities that it was much worse when the show was actually in production. So I can't really believe that would be much of an incentive to continue the show against the odds.

And the hits just keep on coming. But you get the idea. There was a LOT going on against the show. And all the petitions in the world wouldn't have stopped it from happening, because the network itself was in trouble and trying to solve its own problems, and as part of short-term solutions, that meant cutting shows it didn't think were working.

If you're interested in saving Enterprise, I might suggest you join the Campaign to Save Star Trek: Enterprise Novels. Recent cutbacks by the publishers are making fans nervous, so we are trying to make our voices heard *before* they may decide to pull the plug. Since these books try to right some of the "wrongs" in the show, they're kind of the closest thing we'll get to a Season Five, so this may be something you'd be interested in.

Posted Image
Everything Changes in the Expanse
(click banner to visit)

#5 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

What happened to that campaign?

We kept going for several years, but eventually, it came down to the point where there were only a handful of us left, and we were just chasing our tails, essentially, repeating the same old campaigns we'd been at for years.

#6 marika valeris

marika valeris

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

I agree ..I want back Enterprise!!!
TRIP IS NOT DEAD!!!!!I DONT LIKE YOU JJ.ABRAMS!

Posted Image

#7 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

There were a lot of reasons behind the cancellation of Enterprise. For one thing, its ratings were declining, and this is a business where ratings = money. Unfortunately, this was before they understood and accepted that things were changing in the electronic media landscape -- cable was really starting to change things, and the ratings Enterprise got back then are considered pretty good now. But broadcast TV was too busy living in denial about how competitive cable could be.

Second, I've heard people involved with the show say that the UPN network didn't give it much promotional support.

Third, UPN said it "didn't fit" with their other fare, which followed a "pretty young people with problems" formula.

Fourth, UPN as an entity was collapsing.

Fifth, a lot of people (including myself) saw evidence of lack of support from local UPN affiliate stations. In my market, Enterprise was always getting preempted for hockey, but the alternate showing times were rarely advertised, never consistent, and sometimes bizarre (2am on a Thursday morning?). You always had to go *looking* for it. And people had to sleep sometime.

Sixth, the people who actually watch a show aren't always the people with the Nielsen boxes.

Seventh, I've heard it say that apathy and vitriol within the fandom left a negative mark on the show. While participatory fandom was not a new concept during Enterprise's run, it was the first time when so many fans had Internet access and computers at home. People got to (over)react to what they saw and TPTB were watching. People get bolder and nastier when they have relative anonymity behind a keyboard and a screen name. In short, none of the other series had previously gotten a taste of what a nasty bunch of ingrates some of us can be. I don't know about here because I've only been around for a few months, but I know that there are other fan communities where the alleged "fans" do nothing but trash on the show -- while still claiming to love it. :blink: I understand from the old-timers at those communities that it was much worse when the show was actually in production. So I can't really believe that would be much of an incentive to continue the show against the odds.

And the hits just keep on coming. But you get the idea. There was a LOT going on against the show. And all the petitions in the world wouldn't have stopped it from happening, because the network itself was in trouble and trying to solve its own problems, and as part of short-term solutions, that meant cutting shows it didn't think were working.

If you're interested in saving Enterprise, I might suggest you join the Campaign to Save Star Trek: Enterprise Novels. Recent cutbacks by the publishers are making fans nervous, so we are trying to make our voices heard *before* they may decide to pull the plug. Since these books try to right some of the "wrongs" in the show, they're kind of the closest thing we'll get to a Season Five, so this may be something you'd be interested in.

Thanx for the link!! I will look into it and follow through. Let me ask you though, your saying the series was continued but not on tv but in books?

#8 AquariusNX01

AquariusNX01

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Kind of, yeah. I don't want to give any spoilers, but the Enterprise novels that have been dubbed the "relaunch" books pick up where the show left off. Start with Last Full Measure. After that, you want The Good That Men Do, Kobayashi Maru, Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wings, and finally the one that just came out, Romulan War: To Brave the Storm.

And again, I don't want to give spoilers, but I will say that in To Brave the Storm, they kind of wrap up the story in a way that makes it look like it's for good, so that's a strong hint that there may not be any more books. Which is why we're worried and want to do something about it now, rather than wait for them to be officially cancelled.

Your support (and anyone else's!) is greatly appreciated!

Posted Image
Everything Changes in the Expanse
(click banner to visit)

#9 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

I would love to see a season 5 and pick up right where we left off in season 4, doubt it will ever happen though.

#10 DresdedCain

DresdedCain

Crewman

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Yeah we really needed a season 5. The show had finally come into it's own. I wish they would do something like a dvd movie or something. It seems there more love for the show nowadays. I know I'm not the only one who wants it back.

#11 Firdaus

Firdaus

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

When I watched ENT I was confused? Am I watching a Star Trek or is it a rip off or is this something else.
When I saw Vulcan Enterprise I am convinced it is a Star Trek. However, unlike the previous star Trek It doesnt feel like Star Trek.
The theme song is also wrong. They should just stick to theme Music. ENT do have good moments when it is explaining the origin of some technologies.

As a prequel it should be just that. Explain many origin. Sadly all they want to explore is war. IF this is a diplomacy series, showing how, the federation was established, how the technologies were acquired it SHOULD be a better Star Trek series.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users