ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

Questions Linger as Earth Recovers
Stephanie Chang - Earth News Network
8 April, 2160

Several days have now passed since the Romulan assault on Earth. The remaining invaders have been killed, and the fires have been put out, but the scars still linger, as do many unanswered questions.

Today marks the first day the global communications networks have been fully operational since the attack commenced, so although ENN has been offering continuing updates since the Romulan ships entered orbit, we will now provide a full summary of the events of the assault for those who have been cut off.

Three Romulan ships, a warbird and two smaller vessels now known to troop carriers, entered orbit of Earth at 12:47PM GMT. The orbital defense platforms activated and succeeded in destroying one of the troop carriers, but the warbird, believed to have been a more advanced model than those usually encountered, then destroyed them. The warbird then sent a single signal to Prime Minister Nathan Samuels's office, in which a Romulan commander identifying himself as Admiral Menshal Valdore demanded the immediate and unconditional surrender of the Coalition of Planets.

The prime minister refused, and the warbird commenced orbital bombardment of Earth's cities. The first and most heavily struck was San Fransisco. The headquarters of Starfleet were completely leveled, as were many surrounding neighborhoods. However, in what the surviving locals have taken as a sign of hope, the Golden Gate Bridge somehow survived unscathed.

After its bombardment of San Fransisco, the Romulan vessel turned its weapons on other cities around the globe in a seemingly random spree of destruction. Among the main settlements hit were New York, Johannesburg, Berlin, Tokyo, New Delhi, Winnipeg, and Rio de Janeiro.

At the same time, the smaller vessel launched dozens of shuttlecraft which then landed in Chicago, Rome, Sydney, and Moscow and disgorged Romulan shock troops which sought to root out the civilians hiding in the various shelters and safe areas in and around the cities. Members of both local police forces and Earth's military moved to intercept them, resulting in roving firefights all through the invaded cities.

For the first time, we have now seen the face of the enemy. Examination of the corpses of their troops shows the Romulans to be a tall, gaunt, and pallid race, with fanged mouths and gray skin. Several witnesses noted they have a sensitivity to light, indicating that they may be nocturnal or naturally subterranean.

Posted Image

The Charon defense fleet struggled to break free of its Romulan attackers and come to Earth's aid, but it became clear that the Romulan ships were only interested in preventing them from doing so, specifically targeting engines and navigation systems so as to cripple the Coalition vessels and ensure Earth was defenseless.

The attack continued for approximately an hour without relief, when, without warning, five CoP ships, led by the NX-01 Enterprise, appeared in high orbit and engaged the Romulan vessels. It is completely unclear how the ships arrived so quickly and without showing up on any scanners beforehand. Starfleet has refused to comment, leading to rampant speculation. A popular theory is that Starfleet may have developed its own cloaking device--perhaps by reverse-engineering stolen Romulan technology--but this fails to explain how the NX-01 could have made it back from the frontlines, where it had been leading the push towards Romulus.

Whatever the case, the reinforcements immediately interposed themselves between Valdore's warbird and Earth, ending the orbital bombardment, and a battle ensued. The smaller Romulan ship was immediately destroyed, and two CoP vessels, the Kreetassan cruiser Doru and the Denobulan frigate Wooshi, were also lost. The remaining three CoP vessels took heavy damage but succeeded in crippling Valdore's warbird. The warbird attempted to make a final suicide strike by crashing into one of the sections of Berlin it hadn't yet ravaged, but it did not succeed.

This is another area of great mystery. Starfleet reports that the warbird was destroyed by Enterprise in the upper atmosphere, but no debris of the ship has been found anywhere in the German countryside, and eye witnesses report seeing the ship simply vanish in a burst of light.

By this time, the Charon defense fleet had at last arrived, having defeated the Romulans at the edge of the star system, and they, together with the new arrivals, sent several squadrons of reinforcements--led by Enterprise's commander Shran--to the invaded cities, allowing the troops on the ground to defeat the Romulan ground troops.

A few invaders evaded CoP troops for several days, continuing to make guerrilla strikes, but as of now, Earth's military believes the last groups have been mopped up. Most fought to the death, and those that allowed themselves to be captured soon committed suicide through the use of hidden poison pellets, so it seems many of our questions about the Romulan people will continue to go unanswered.

As the attack was occurring, a small team of reporters led by ENN's senior correspondent, Charles Carmen, ignored the prime minister's evacuation order and stayed on in our main offices in Berlin. They corresponded with Earth's defense forces and provided information on the targets of both warbird and the Romulan ground troops to their listeners, allowing those in danger to flee. This continued until the warbird detected the signal and fired a volley directly at ENN's headquarters, destroying it and killing all inside, including Carmen.

We here at ENN have chosen not to focus on our own losses in light of the suffering of so many others all across our world, but despite this, we have received hundreds of letters of sympathy, and an impromptu memorial has sprung up outside the ruins of our headquarters. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support during this difficult time. We plan a brief documentary to memorialize our fallen colleagues to be released sometime in the coming weeks, but for now, we will focus our efforts on keeping the people of Earth apprised of developments during the aftermath of the Romulan assault.

The total death toll from the Battle of Charon, the orbital bombardment, the ground invasions, and the final battle with the warbird now stands at 2126, but more than six thousand more remain unaccounted for. Due to the high-powered nature of the Romulan particle weapons, it is like no remains will ever be found many of the victims. However, it is believed the number of dead would have been much, much higher if not for speedy and well-organized evacuations to bomb shelters and safe areas, which saved the lives of thousands of civilians, as well the much of the government and Starfleet's admiralty and command structure.

All CoP worlds--including our new allies on Teneebia, Rigel, and Kreetassa--have offered messages of sympathy and support and pledged aid. Several Vulcan, Denobulan, and Andorian vessels have already arrived to aid in the clean-up.

There are now rumors that the Romulan War is coming to an end, that the Coalition of Planets has begun secret peace negotiations with Romulus over subspace. Although it is not normally ENN policy to bring personal opinion or commentary into the news, I, for one, hope these rumors are true. I'm tired of reporting on body counts and bombed-out colonies. I miss the friends I lost in the Berlin offices. I think I speak for all of the Coalition of Planets when I say that I want dearly for this war to end.

This Dispatches from the Romulan War report was submitted by ensign edwards.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

I like the weariness at the end. It's gone from breathless dispassionate reporting (Hey, we've got a war on our hands! We're gonna get great ratings!) to a difficult, inconclusive ending, which opens up future problems with the Romulans (which of course are in canon). And I like that they mess up, and see the Remans and think they are Romulans (you and I had done a bit of a prefiguring of that in the Prison Break dispatch), which sets up more canon, that no one has seen the Romulans by the time of Kirk.

Perhaps some of the story can even be continued at a later date, with some consequences and fallout posts. I suppose those would mostly be in the form of blog entries and other personal kinds of summaries -- how does the pregnant widow cope? What about the guy who lost an arm? What about survivor guilt?
Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#3 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

I like the weariness at the end. It's gone from breathless dispassionate reporting (Hey, we've got a war on our hands! We're gonna get great ratings!) to a difficult, inconclusive ending, which opens up future problems with the Romulans (which of course are in canon). And I like that they mess up, and see the Remans and think they are Romulans (you and I had done a bit of a prefiguring of that in the Prison Break dispatch), which sets up more canon, that no one has seen the Romulans by the time of Kirk.

Glad you liked it. :)

Perhaps some of the story can even be continued at a later date, with some consequences and fallout posts. I suppose those would mostly be in the form of blog entries and other personal kinds of summaries -- how does the pregnant widow cope? What about the guy who lost an arm? What about survivor guilt?

Hmm, not too likely. I'm pretty creatively tapped at the moment. But hey, you never know.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users