Dispatches from the Romulan War Coming to an End [UPDATE: It's over!]

11 replies to this topic

#1 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

It's been a long journey since Dispatches from the Romulan War's launch in 2007. We've published dozens of articles which have been largely well-received by our readers. We even turned the first few into a series of audio podbooks, an accomplishment of which I am particularly proud.

However, times have changed. Our readership, never terribly large, has dwindled, and we're hemorrhaging hundreds of views with each new article. Furthermore, the number of submissions we've received has always been far, far lower than I hoped. I never intended to be the sole writer of this series, and it's led to a creative burnout. Simply put, I'm out of ideas. I have no choice but to come to the conclusion that DRW is a failed experiment. Perhaps this is partly my fault; I'm sure there is much more that I could have done to promote the series.

But what's done is done, and the time has come for it to end. That said, DRW was born out of a network cancelling a series before it could finish telling its story, and I have no intention to repeat the mistakes of history. I plan a final arc of at least four articles that will bring the war to its climax and see the story finished. It may be a little rushed, and some plot threads will undoubtedly be left untied, but readers will see the end of the war. This much I promise.

DRW will remain open to submissions for the time being, but the closer we grow to the end, the more likely it is that a new article may interfere with my plans for the conclusion, so if you wish to make any final contributions, I advise you to make them sooner rather than later.

Thank you to all our loyal readers. I hope the DRW's conclusion will be satisfying.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Looking forward to the wrap-up.

The entire site has, it seems, gotten smaller and less-trafficked. I suspect a check of Google Analytics would confirm that. Do a web search for TrekUnited or even TrekUnited.com on Google and often you cannot find this board on the first page. That is not good.
Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#3 Disconnected Drone

Disconnected Drone

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

Oh my gosh nooooo.

Now I'll have to find something else to read. :sadnod:
Unless life gives you water and sugar as well, your lemonade is going to suck.

Love Should Not Divide

#4 tish

tish

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

DRW is a wonderful idea and endeavor, has been very entertaining, enlightening, and rewarding for the writers and readers alike. You have a brilliantly creative mind, and we have benefited having you expand and explore your capabilities here, and elsewhere in TU. Plus you have been an encouraging force for other writers, giving them a forum to express themselves within the beloved parameter of Star Trek. The genius is choosing that one time in ST history sorely lacking in film....and one that intrigues fans, tantalizing them with possibilities. I believe it has provided a launch for your next life phase, that of professional writer. With all that, I believe DRW is NOT a failed experiment, it's a perfect meld of all that is Star Trek in nature.

I look forward to your work, Ensign Edwards, here, on your blog, and soon in the professional world!
TUCKER: Malcolm? REED: I see it. TUCKER: Good. Means I'm not hallucinating. How can a ship be bigger on the inside than the outside? REED: It could be a hologram. TUCKER: Hand me that hyperspanner. (drops it down the hole - it hits bottom after two seconds) REED: You're not going down there? TUCKER: Got to get my spanner back.

#5 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

[Nit-pick\] Actually, I started the whole writing notion about a year before I launched DRW.

#6 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

Most things come to an end sooner or later. I wouldn't call a 4 year run a failure at all.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#7 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

Most things come to an end sooner or later. I wouldn't call a 4 year run a failure at all.

I whole-heartedly agree! Dude if you see a four year run, an audio drama series and the first of four volumes published in pdf and eBook as a failure then you are being way too harsh on yourself! Remember we even came close to getting it animated at one point! This is where you practised your craft and developed into the writer you are today, appreciate it for the accomplishment that it was and the base that it built for your future.

Looking forward to seeing it go out with a bang!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#8 paulinem

paulinem

Connortator Extraordinaire...

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Posted Image

This is very sad to hear, EE! However, thank you, thank you, thank you, for all your hard work that you have put into DRW! *stands and applauds* Posted Image

You have done a marvellous job and it has been, and will continue to be, a wonderful, excellent and entertaining series. You definitely did not fail, here! Posted Image

I will also take this opportunity to thank you from a personal level. Your feedback to my humble start in writing have been most invaluable. You are passing on a legacy that I will cherish forever. Posted Image

I will also take this opportunity to apologise for not contributing more to DRW. I did start something else, but it got buried under RL issues, and other writing that I've been doing. So, I'm sorry!

Anyhoo, with that all said, I do hope that you continue to write stories and post them here at TU! We can't lose your great talent and imagination.

Thanks again! You Posted Image EE!

Posted Image

Persistence, Patience and Perseverance Pays Off!

(practice makes perfect)

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. It is true that we've accomplished a lot with DRW; however, it is a failure in that it never reached the goals I set for it. I intended for it to be a sweeping, multi-writer series covering every aspect of the war, but in the end, it just became my own broad arcs.

I will also take this opportunity to thank you from a personal level. Your feedback to my humble start in writing have been most invaluable. You are passing on a legacy that I will cherish forever.

You are welcome. I'm so glad to hear I've helped you. :)

Anyhoo, with that all said, I do hope that you continue to write stories and post them here at TU! We can't lose your great talent and imagination.

Considering I've pretty much given up on fiction writing and never prioritized fan fic to begin with, this is extremely unlikely.

#10 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

With the release of today's article, Dispatches from the Romulan War has officially come to an end. In the end, it consisted of 46 articles by nine different authors. I'd like to thank the readers for their loyalty, the contributors for their creativity, and Captain_Hair for making sure it didn't suck.

In case you haven't been keeping up to date, links to the articles comprising the final arc can be found below. I hope you all enjoy them.

Romulans Claim Responsibility for Shipping Attacks

Borders Pressed as New Worlds Fall to Coalition
They Sowed the Thunder
Breaking News: Charon Defense Fleet Hit, Earth Threatened
Questions Linger as Earth Recovers
30 Years On, New Revelations Emerge About the Romulan War

#11 Captain Hunt

Captain Hunt

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:47 PM

With the release of today's article, Dispatches from the Romulan War has officially come to an end. In the end, it consisted of 46 articles by nine different authors. I'd like to thank the readers for their loyalty, the contributors for their creativity, and Captain_Hair for making sure it didn't suck.

In case you haven't been keeping up to date, links to the articles comprising the final arc can be found below. I hope you all enjoy them.

Romulans Claim Responsibility for Shipping Attacks

Borders Pressed as New Worlds Fall to Coalition
They Sowed the Thunder
Breaking News: Charon Defense Fleet Hit, Earth Threatened
Questions Linger as Earth Recovers
30 Years On, New Revelations Emerge About the Romulan War

I've been reading the Dispatches from the Romulan War since the beginning, and I have to say this is some of the best serialized fanfiction I have ever read. I really felt like I was in the middle of it when I read your stories. It is a shame it has come to an end, but, I guess we all know what they say about "All Good Things..." I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us next!

Edited by Captain Hunt, 02 August 2011 - 11:49 PM.

#12 mdbruffy

mdbruffy

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I came into things alittle late. Read the first dispatches in Volume one and Two from Trek United's Issuu publishing page.
I know from working on my own series- Nova Trek- how all comsuming a project like this can be. I can also see that it was a much bigger success than I think you're giving it credit for. You found one of the few segments of 'Trek history that no one's ever touched on and succeed in bringing it to life for every fan.
Congradulations on a fantastic project!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users