Enterprise's Emotional Vulcans

4 replies to this topic

#1 Makandriaco

Makandriaco

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

I am currently watching the whole series on DVD and I must say I like it more than I thought I would. But this issue is really annoying. I remember from the beginnning, the way Spock conducted himself totally emotion-less, the same with other Vulcans from that series and most others. I have to admit that some in DS9 and movies did not meassure up to Spocks logic. But in Enterprise, all Vulcans get angry, surprised, disturbed, and even T'Pol's mother almost cryed. A lot of yelling by Enterprise Vulcans.

I know T'Pol has the excuse about the stuff they used on Enterprise to defend for the Annomalies, but that was on the third season. What was her excuse before then?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 tish

tish

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

I am currently watching the whole series on DVD and I must say I like it more than I thought I would. But this issue is really annoying. I remember from the beginnning, the way Spock conducted himself totally emotion-less, the same with other Vulcans from that series and most others. I have to admit that some in DS9 and movies did not meassure up to Spocks logic. But in Enterprise, all Vulcans get angry, surprised, disturbed, and even T'Pol's mother almost cryed. A lot of yelling by Enterprise Vulcans.

I know T'Pol has the excuse about the stuff they used on Enterprise to defend for the Annomalies, but that was on the third season. What was her excuse before then?

This is covered in the 4th season, during the Vulcan Arc of The Forge, Awakening, and Kir'Shara. I do not know if you have seen these yet, so I do not want to discuss too much detail, no spoilers from me!!! I just know that this arc gave a wonderfully told reason for the Vulcans in Enterprise.

Spock did have emotions, he just controlled them most of the time. More information of the Vulcan nature is also given in ENT, Season 1 with Fusion and Fallen Hero, The Seventh and Stigma in Season two and Season 3 in Impulse and The Forgotten. All of these, along with Season 4 Vulcan Arc are very good at giving a logical foundation for the Vulcan emotional state. IF you have seen these, we can discuss, however, I still want to avoid spoilers towards anyone else who has not seen these episodes.
TUCKER: Malcolm? REED: I see it. TUCKER: Good. Means I'm not hallucinating. How can a ship be bigger on the inside than the outside? REED: It could be a hologram. TUCKER: Hand me that hyperspanner. (drops it down the hole - it hits bottom after two seconds) REED: You're not going down there? TUCKER: Got to get my spanner back.

#3 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

If you ask me, Enterprise was the only show that got Vulcans right. Vulcans aren't an emotionless species; quite the contrary. Their emotions are much stronger than that of other species. This is why they have to repress them; they can't function otherwise. You really see this with T'pol being affected by the terrilium D. It didn't make her more emotional. It just removed her ability to control her emotions. When she was all psychotic and paranoid, she was displaying her species's natural state.

So beneath their veneer of logic, all Vulcans are boiling cauldrons of white hot emotion. Enterprise got it right by letting us get little glimpses of the rage and passion underneath.

One of the very few good things I have to say about ST09 is that it, too, depicted Vulcans as they should be. We got to see the primal fury Spock keeps buried most of the time.

#4 vanilla_robot

vanilla_robot

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

you also have to remember that in addition to the ships use of trillium d, she was also cooking it up and injecting it. when she stopped dr. phlox told her she may never fully regain the type of control over her emotions that she had previously.

i also agree with ensign edwards about the way vulcans are portrayed on the other shows. i think enterprise is much more honest with their true nature.

#5 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

My opinion what vulcans have emotion but they can control himself.
If they don't controlling emotion-they was as romulan or destroy himself.I mean what vulcans have emotion but they don't show your emotion other race or people.Trillium is very danger for vulcans,because this matter can destroy they emotional system and vulcan more can't controll your emotion.Spock half vulcan/half human and this know what him hard controlling emotion than 100 percent vulcans.In movie star trek-11 Spock was lose control on emotion and begun smash Kirk,after this Kirk was wake up on ice planet with danger animal.How can see from this movie and from series "Enterprise" vulcans can lose control on emotional and they even can open fire from phaser,exactly this situation was in series "Star trek:Voyager" when Tuvok open fire from phaser on officers on bridge.I don't know what will be happening with vulcans in 25 century,they lose control on emotion or not,i this don't know.Maybe in alternative universe after destroy planet Vulcan,they will be as romulan,begun don't control your emotion and begun wrath romulan.

Edited by Beast Boy, 04 March 2012 - 09:25 AM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users