4 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Computer: Editor's Personal Log, Stardate 11.05.18

I am in the process of putting the finishing touches to the first issue of Hailing Frequencies Open: Personal Logs, the official Trekzine of TrekUnited, the first of a new series of publications from TrekUnited Publishing to bring you a regular dose of fan produced fiction for your reading pleasure!

Fanzines have been around since before there was an internet, yes, when people could only distribute their writing on pressed wood pulp known as paper. They have become a significant part of our literary culture, with a Hugo award for fanzines since 1955, but where have they come from? What have they become? Perhaps of more importance to us, what part did Star Trek play in their development and what lies in their future?

In his 1973 "The World of Fanzines", Frederic Wertham describes fanzines as "uncommercial, nonprofessional, small-circulation magazines which their editors produce, publish and distribute, dealing primarily with fantasy literature and art whose writers and readers belong chiefly to the under-thirty group." He cites "The Comet" that came out in 1930, as the first fanzine although Wikipedia traces their roots to amateur press associations that go back to the 19th century. If you're interested in reading transcriptions and scans of historical fanzines look no further than Fanac.

J.M. Verba's "Boldly Writing" gives us a pretty exhaustive picture of the early history of Star Trek fan activity between 1967 & 1987, a fertile time for Trek fanzines! Another important resource is "Star Trek Lives" by Jacqueline Lichtenberg who, with her writing partner Jean Lorrah, are two early luminaries of the Trek fan world who have gone on to champion the use of action / adventure stories to test the boundaries between science fiction and romance.

Star Trek has always had an emphasis on character centred storylines and over the years a subgenre of Trekzines have come to focus on love and lust in the Star Trek universe. Star Trek fanzines hold the dubious honour of inventing of the term slash, from "Kirk-slash-Spock" (K/S), the idea of Kirk and Spock being lovers.For the latest on Trekzines you can subscribe to TrekZinesCentral

...and watch this space!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Technology is constantly giving us exciting new opportunities and Trekies especially are renowned for being at the forefront of technological change. TrekUnited has done its bit in the field of fanzines with Hailing Frequencies Open, our official online magazine, which has had a long and distinguished history with twenty eight zines since 2005!

HFO as it was known, started as the official organ of the Save Enterprise movement that spawned TrekUnited in June 2005 with a six page, fire-breathing premiere, edited by Debbie Elholm, reporting on the Enterprise finale viewing party. Issue two was equally militant but issue three in August focused on the passing of Trek actor James Doohan and had the first of our regular articles on fan productions. This trend towards diversification continued in September with an expansion into science, conventions, and the 2005 fan production / postcard writing campaign which was started by the Australian section. Issue five was a landmark in being the first to carry an article by me (Jespah was a writer right from the first issue!) and the following issue held the first mention of the Enterprise S5 project... and all this in its first year!

Keeping up a monthly schedule for most of 2006, excluding a double issue in February, the magazine saw a vast increase in colour and graphics that bore the distinctive style of Joanna Poe as graphics editor and the guiding hand of Richard Anderson as publisher. Its scope covered a wide range of topics, mostly with a Star Trek focus, including regular cartoons by David Reddick cooking, astronomy and chats with various stars from the professional and fan production world.

The four issues in 2007 might not have had the same page count as previous years, but the quality was up there with the best in writing and graphics. However, sadly, January 2008 saw us put HFO to bed for a well deserved rest as the editorial team considered their options. It was becoming increasingly hard to get contributions for the established scope and the readership wasn't giving us the feedback we needed to tailor the zine to their needs.

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Times change, people change, circumstances change and the focus of TrekUnited has shifted to reflect that. Our open, clique-free networking style has always been one of our biggest assets, celebrating the Star Trek fan experience in a very real way, as has our mandate to support fan productions in any and all its forms. Over the years, we've not just reported on fan films and audio dramas, we've hosted and mirrored audio and video files, hosted internet chats and generally acted as a neutural fan-friendly discussion zone for any and all groups.

When Bill asked me to take up Admiral Rooster's hat as director of media and publishing it was always at the back of my mind that I wanted TrekUnited to be, not just spectators in the fan production world but a part of it. In the course of working on the Twelve Trek Days of Christmas, I've been lucky enough to become associated with a group of individuals who recognise the opportunities that change brings us. Graphic artists who live and create in their virtual worlds of wonder like Madison Bruffy and Richard Merk. Terilynn Shull who is spreading into her own virtual world of Star Trek Online with Foundry and podcasting. Jespah, our expert in networking, the ways that modern technology can be used to bring us closer together as a community in the real world, fan film makers, audio drama producers - all of them good writers, too!

TrekUnited doesn't have the active membership it used to have, and the projects we take on have to embrace that change, to celebrate it rather than ignore it. We can't field the same slick and sophisticated, graphics heavy, high quality pdf magazine that HFO had become. For that matter, we needed to reconsider the content that we were carrying, to give our members something they would want to read and to give the fan production community a venue to showcase their wares.

Change for change's sake is not necessarily good and what I had to work out was: what needed to change, what opportunities were out there waiting for us to take advantage of them... and could one match the other?

K

Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Change can equal challenge though. Just look around you and you'll see many traditional media struggling to come to terms with new technology. This is nowhere more evident than in the printing and publishing industry where the eBook has finally come of age, bringing with it all the problems and possibilities of the digital world. We at TrekUnited see this as a change for the better and with the help of Richard Merk have started using this new technology to bringing the Roddenberry Dream to a wider audience in the form of fan fiction novels in ePub and Mobi format.

However, something there is that doesn't love... change. Not everyone likes the idea that the words which they read are just a fleeting collection of electrons that flicker across a screen, gone as soon as we move on to the next page, the next screen. They like the solidity of a book, its constancy, the neat rows of paperbacks ranked in their bookcase, a collection of memories which hold something special for them.

To me, the Roddenberry Dream represents this very challenge: how can we embrace the opportunities that technology bring us in a caring and humane manner. How can we explore the challenging worlds of the unkown, take up the gauntlet and tame technology for society's betterment, without disenfranchising those who don't feel comfortable at the cutting edge? Technological change should not be an either / or choice: the lady or the tiger, the "Good Side" or the "Dark Side". Surely we should be able to keep the best of the past and bring that with us into the future.

That was it! That is the editorial focus of Personal Logs.

Posted Image

#5 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:29 AM

Whether you are reading this on a downloaded pdf, browsing it on Issuu or reading it as an ePub or mobi eBook on your Kindle or Nook, I want you to forget the eInk on your screen and cast yourself back to the seventies. Imagine this is a pulp digest you have just picked up from the corner store, or a mimeographed fanzine the mailman has just delivered from some underground Distro. Smell the ink, dog-ear the pages and revel in the glorious black and white!

Posted Image

Hailing Frequencies Open: Personal Logs No1, July 2011

Welcome back to the days when fans shared their fan experience in 'zines with that personal touch, short stories that carried something of themselves in them. Whilst you'll see little of Mary Sue here, you will see Star Trek stories that have been hand-chosen to reflect the passion that we all share for The Roddenberry Dream - across all eras, based on canon and non-canon, featuring the characters we have come to love and new, original ones springing from the hearts and minds of their authors into the world of Star Trek!

"Altered Lives 1: The Joining" A Nova Trek story by M.D.Bruffy

"History Lessons" A Star Trek: Heritage story by T.L.Shull

"Freak School" A new sequel by Janet R. Gershen-Siegel

"Going Home" A Star Trek: Bylinas story by Kirok of L'Stok

Illustrated front and back by Madison Bruffy and Richard Merk
and with original line art by the editor,
Kirok of L'Stok

Fan fiction at its best is a resonance of the experience that we felt when we watched Star Trek on TV or on the movie screen. It can range from dramatic space battles to touching moments of personal friendship, it can expand on what you believe the characters were trying to convey to us, continue the story after the credits rolled or it can tell a love story that only you have recognised and could never be seen on screen! Come with me now to make four very personal journeys into Star Trek and in future months I hope you will share some of your own flights of fantasy.

Computer: End Log!

Posted Image Browse it on Issuu and then download it as a pdf file to read at your leasure on your home computer. Soon to be available as an eBook from Richard Merk's Star Trek Fanfiction eBook Archive as a Mobi and ePub eBook file.

...and the fan fiction just keeps on coming from TrekUnited Publishing!

Kirok of L'Stok

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users