TrekUnited Publishing: Looking for Group

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'm going to start posting notices here for openings available for writers, editors, artists and people who want to generally help by posting about what we do on forums and other social networks outside TrekUnited.

To kick things off I need one (1) short story for a new project FAST! Under 7,500 words as an MSWord / OpenOffice .doc file, formatted the way you want it to appear and edited for style, spelling and grammar. It has to be Trek related but can be a bottle story from a larger series, RPG, script...

Points scored for skill and style, points lost for spelling and grammar errors (if you care about what you've written you'll get a friend to copy edit). I *will* make allowances for those whose first language is not English.

In return you'll get coverage amongst TU membership, Facebook, Twitter, Issuu and more as a pdf and eBook release.

Send submissions off-list to Kirok@trekunited.com.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

Position vacant: eZine editor.

If you can handle basic html / CSS you'll have no problem with this. You will need to take news feed from TrekUnited Publishing, our friends at the Federation, various Trek news partners and combine it with news from the TU forum to create an eZine. As Director of Media I will be quality control but I DON'T micro-manage: it will be your name on the masthead, your rep on the line.

The rewards? It will be your name on the masthead... with an international audience of thousands!

Feel free to ask questions here or contact me off-list at Kirok@trekunited.com.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 JHauck

JHauck

Ensign

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

I can't wait to see the interview you just conducted on me in the "New Worlds" thread in your "Hailing Frequencies Open" e-zine.
Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:45 AM

I can't wait to see the interview you just conducted on me in the "New Worlds" thread in your "Hailing Frequencies Open" e-zine.

The eZine is only short paragraph links to the forum, have a look at the last one, but, yes, I was gathering intelligence - I'm actually looking for short stories for the next issue of Personal Logs (see the top post here). I'll send you something offline to show you what we are doing.

K

Posted Image

#5 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Position vacant: Art Director.

I need help to scour the world of fan production to find graphic art to suit our needs in TrekUnited Publishing. You will be expected to search for colour art for book covers and B&W or colour art for internal illustrations, contact the artists and arrange for their submissions. You will also be responsible for assembling the associated logos, thumbnails and advertisements needed to promote our work which will require a knowledge of photoediting and ultimately, if we can't find something we need from outside, you will be expected to help create whatever is needed so you will need to have a certain amount of artictic talent of your own. As with all aspects of TrekUnited Publishing I will be overall quality control but I DON'T micro-manage: it will be your name on the masthead, not mine, so it will be your rep on the line.

The rewards? You will get the opportunity to network with artists all over the world, help them get their work publicised and play a vital role in the improvement of our publishing! As an artist you will be constantly challenged to provide solutions to our needs which will give you ample opportunities to practise creativity in graphic design that can be added to your portfolio. I would foresee that this would be an excellent opportunity for an art student in high school or university who wants experience in the world of publishing.

Feel free to ask questions here or PM me.

K

Posted Image

#6 JHauck

JHauck

Ensign

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

I'd love to help out but right now I'm too busy looking for grocery $$$$$ as I lost my job at Kin's in the last few weeks. If anyone would be willing to help me out until I get back on my feet...I'd really appreciate it. PM me for street address to mail cash.
Posted Image

#7 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

This first year of TrekUnited Publishing has been immensely satisfying for me. With the help of a small group of dedicated friends I've been able to introduce promising and established authors to a wider audience, feature the work of some brilliant artists and give Star Trek fans a taste of what fan fiction could be like if we embraced the opportunities that technology is offering us right now.

Much as I have loved what we have done, I cannot help but wish that we could do more. However, if we wish to capitalise on the new ground that we have broken and provide Star Trek fandom with a truly comprehensive fan fiction publishing service - and specifically if we want to do more Trekzines - then we have to expand our team which means, as publisher, I have to bite the bullet and delegate: if I can get supervising editors to help produce our Trekzine, I will set our 2012/13 schedule to bimonthly. So...

Applications are invited for the position of...
Art Editor : Personal Logs Trekzine

This a non-paying position which will be for six issues over twelve months for HFO: Personal Logs, the Trekzine of TrekUnited Publishing. The art editor would be expected to...

- Advertise for, organise the auditioning and supervising of the cover art
- Likewise you would be expected to find B&W title art for each article
- You would be expected to take the raw artwork and add the title, byline & promotion text etc to it to create the title page for each work.
- Manage spot illustrations where available
- Create a banner for each story
- Manage the online storage of all graphics
- Create deviantART entries for the artwork of all stories and work with the artists to help them make the most of their exposure in the 'zine.
- Provide input on artistic and creative matters in production discussions and provide help on graphics problems.
- Contribute towards creating the necessary logos, thumbnails, advertisements, etc needed to promote our work.

You will be expected to have an extensive knowledge of photoediting to accomplish this and ultimately, if it 'gets down to the wire' and we can't find something we need from outside, you will be expected to create something suitable so you will need to have a certain amount of artistic talent of your own.

As with all aspects of TrekUnited Publishing I will be overall quality control but I DON'T micro-manage: it will be your name on the masthead as Art Editor, not mine, so it will be your rep' on the line, not mine. I subscribe to the "Orchestral" organisational method: As the 'Conductor' I make sure everyone is in tune with each other and our finished performance as whole is exemplary - I might set standards for you but I don't tell you how to play your instrument! Specifically I will be give you help and guidance from my five years of creating over a half-dozen titles and dozens of issues ranging from contacts & networking to organising & auditioning.

The rewards? You will get the opportunity to network with artists from all over the world, help them get their work publicised and play a vital role in cutting edge electronic publishing! As a supervising editor, you will gain experience in the production and promotion of digital publishing. As an artist you will be constantly challenged to provide solutions to our needs using high-quality artistic input which will give you ample opportunities to practise creativity in graphic design that can be added to your portfolio.

I would foresee that this would be an excellent opportunity for an art student in senior year high school or university who wants experience in the world of publishing. However I also see this as an opportunity for someone who has had experience with hardcopy fanzines to step up to the plate and take a swing at digital publishing.

...oh, and when I say digital publishing, if we go to bi-monthly publishing, I will also be advertising for an eBook editor to turn our content into eBook format for ePub and Mobi, which covers Kindle and everything else!

Pitches should be as PM'd to me here or on deviantART or PM me for an email address. You will be expected to have looked over our last issue of Personal Logs and tell me...

- Why do you want the position?
- What would you do with similar fiction and artwork
- If possible link me to previous work that you feel relevant

Feel free to ask questions here or PM me.

Kirok of L'Stok
Publisher, TrekUnited Publishing

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users