Star Trek: The New Animated Series

3 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

Curt Danhauser who has recreated the essence of Star Trek: The Animated Series with an earlier three act episode to go with his tongue in cheek proof of concept short film, has just released the first part of his second episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_Po_ZVO70
Star Trek: The New Animated Series
Ptolemy Wept - Part 1

For the definitive website on Star Trek: The Animated Series, check out Curt's website where you can watch his previous work. and a fascinating look at the tecjniques of this type of animation.

K

PS - There's more background information and some astute commentary on Curt's work on the fan film pages of the Orion Press website

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll add it to his webpage at Star Trek Reviewed!
Posted Image

#3 Kuro-chan

Kuro-chan

Master Rank Designer

• VIP
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

An interesting watch, no doubt. Clearly, a decent amount of work was put into this project.

If I had one nit: I think he needs a better mic. :P
- Kuro-chan, the purple-haired, rank-making... Person! ^^

Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

An interesting watch, no doubt. Clearly, a decent amount of work was put into this project.

If I had one nit: I think he needs a better mic. :P

You do voice acting? It comes with the territory to focus on the vocal work, doesn't it? Some of it had an "on/off" quality which might be an artifact of his production process since he uses the voice to work out his video of the lip synching. This is from his website...

Next comes the most laborious phase - lip synching of dialogue. I open the individual scene sound files and obtain durations of word bursts (pieces of words) from the sound waveform. These are somewhat like syllables, but are geared to what needs to be seen on an animated character’s lips. These durations are converted to frames by multiplying by 24. These frame counts are recorded along with lip positions on a timing sheet which includes the dialogue words broken up into bursts. The lip positions that I and Filmation before me employed are: mouth fully shut, mouth open a bit with teeth visible, mouth open more showing black inside the mouth, mouth open a lot, mouth starting to form the "oo" sound as in the word moon, and finally the mouth position fully forming the "oo" sound. These timing sheets are used to string the named scene frames together to be rendered at 24 frames per second via the QuickTime Pro application.

I point this out only to wonder at the amazing feat of what he has accomplished!

Gotta run

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users