Photo

Ghosts of Prohibition

5 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

. Like in Tennessee where they left the issue of alcohol prohibition to the counties. That is the reason why the people making Jack Daniels can't buy it at the store legally.

Sure they can... they just have to drive about 20 minutes over. :P in fact, dry counties were/are fairly common in the rest of the south, as well as some places here in the midwest. An interesting topic in its own right, but probably one that deserves its own home, rather than here i guess.
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Sure they can... they just have to drive about 20 minutes over. :P in fact, dry counties were/are fairly common in the rest of the south, as well as some places here in the midwest. An interesting topic in its own right, but probably one that deserves its own home, rather than here i guess.

That is what I meant, they can't buy it in the factory, or in their county even. Especially if there is a storage trailer-turned-church nearby :P Not that uncommon up here either Spotty. Some counties in Maine are dry, usually identified by the number of illegal stills. In NH you can only buy hard liquor from the State, private stores are restricted to wines and beer.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#3 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Wow! I had no idea that there were still dry places in the US! Today I learned something new! How come? As it was I was amzed when I went to Nevada in 1981 aged 19 and couldn't get served with an alcoholic drink! It was like being a kid again.

#4 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

The places that are dry are largely so because that is how their residents wanted it. As to our state restricting hard liquor sales it was largely a means of revenue(it was once all alcohol, they ceded wine and beer to private stores in the last 30 years). Poisonous can confirm their prices are more reasonable than places in neighboring state's though, and exponentially cheaper than Europe. But the Federal law says 21 as minimum age. I personally think if you're old enough to vote and die for your country you should be able to raise a glass to it, but that is MHO.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#5 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

The places that are dry are largely so because that is how their residents wanted it. As to our state restricting hard liquor sales it was largely a means of revenue(it was once all alcohol, they ceded wine and beer to private stores in the last 30 years). Poisonous can confirm their prices are more reasonable than places in neighboring state's though, and exponentially cheaper than Europe. But the Federal law says 21 as minimum age. I personally think if you're old enough to vote and die for your country you should be able to raise a glass to it, but that is MHO.

Well, that is pretty much how we would rationalise the drinking age too. It seems crazy to ban the demon drink but allow young people into far more potentially life-threatening situations.

Booze is pretty expensive all over Europe, even in wine producing countries. I've never been able to figure out why Bath Ales which are made just down the road are so expensive - but there you go. Booze prices are out of the reach of most pockets in Scandinavian countries because their short days encourage addiction to drink. The Brits are simply incapable of moderate consumption either at home or elsewhere, and the government is tackling so-called "binge-drinking" through raising prices. It seems to have worked in Scandinavia.

#6 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

Well, that is pretty much how we would rationalise the drinking age too. It seems crazy to ban the demon drink but allow young people into far more potentially life-threatening situations.

Booze is pretty expensive all over Europe, even in wine producing countries. I've never been able to figure out why Bath Ales which are made just down the road are so expensive - but there you go. Booze prices are out of the reach of most pockets in Scandinavian countries because their short days encourage addiction to drink. The Brits are simply incapable of moderate consumption either at home or elsewhere, and the government is tackling so-called "binge-drinking" through raising prices. It seems to have worked in Scandinavia.

I knew the bit about Scandinavia, that is why they all love going to Copenhagen where the taxes are cheaper. But that also goes for just about any consumer good there, but especially alcohol. NH's beverage industry has gone through a resurgence in the last twenty years with the craft brewing movement. We have at least 30 breweries in state now and at least as many vineyards where we were just down to the Anhauser - Busch facility in Merrimack where the Clydesdales are. Flag Hill started as a vineyard and expanded to distilling.

As to the "tiered adulthood" setup, that was largely political. Legal adulthood was constitutionally set at age 18, and like I said the drinking laws were largely set at the state level up until 1984. After that sales were standardized across the country.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users