vacuum in space

2 replies to this topic

#1 bioturtle

bioturtle

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

The other day, I was thinking about how one would keep the inside of a ship clean. The first thought was "naturally, they would just use a vacuum cleaner." But then I thought, "wait, what would happen if you were on the outside of a ship, and you turned on a vacuum cleaner IN the vacuum of space? Normally I am able to answer most of my own questions, (like the first part of this post LOL :rofl1: But I couldn't this time!)

Anyone know?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Basically, a vacuum cleaner works by using a propeller to move air in through a hose, through a dust bag, and out the back of the vacuum cleaner. In space the propeller would spin, but that's all that would happen because there's no air to move.

Edited by RichMerk, 15 March 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#3 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Basically, a vacuum cleaner works by using a propeller to move air in through a hose, through a dust bag, and out the back of the vacuum cleaner. In space the propeller would spin, but that's all that would happen because there's no air to move.

Hmmm They could save power inside the space ship though by having a vacuum cleaner which was just a hose connected to a hole in the hull! That would be a real vacuum cleaner!!! Mwahaha! Anyone ever read the Heinlein story about the guy who saved the day by sealing a hole in a lunar tunnel with his butt cheek?

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users