TrekUnited Publishing 2011: Open For Business

32 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

just a quick post before I run off to work to announce that a new issue of Hailing Frequencies Open Issue 2.04 is now available as a public pdf on Issuu at ...

http://issuu.com/tre...d/docs/hfo-2.04

In addition, Jespah's first novel, Reversal has been published at...
http://issuu.com/tre...siegel-reversal

...and to finish the night, I have also published an updated version of Hailing Frequencies Open 2.03 on the new TrekUnited Issuu page at ...
http://issuu.com/tre...d/docs/hfo-2.03

Posted Image

Watch this space for more announcements and discussion of our future direction.

Congratulations, Jespah, Reversal looks really good. A congratulations also to Richard Merk who has accepted my request to join me as Director of Electronic Publications.

Gotta blaze! I hope this and our future efforts give you, the membership, many hours of enjoyment!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Welcome Richard!

YAY!

#3 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Just checked out the new issue.:thumbup:

Welcome Richard.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Sooo... fan publishing? Let's put this into perspective.

In the five years or so that I've been reporting on fan productions we've come a long way! Fan films have matured from the shakey beginnings that their producer's would have us forget, to productions that in many ways rival their professional counterparts. Audio dramas have given a new lease of life to a form of media that had been relegated to a historical curiosity - the radio play. Animation perhaps more than any other form of media has amazed me with the the way in which it has empowered those with the creativity and talent to produce some astonishingly good shows.

Look at where they've come from, where they are now and where they might end up, how has this happened? What it boils down to for me are two things: society and technology. Modern attitudes are swinging towards the "me generation" - what can *I* do or what can *I* get out of it - and this is being reflected in modern, mass media with the explosion of reality shows that we see on TV and the way that citizen reporting on blogs and Youtube is taking us to 'ground zero' of the worlds trouble spots. In this respect, it is technology that has become the liberator. New technology has made available to the average wage-earner of western society a range of tools that were the exclusive domain of the professional ten years ago.

The expense of the equipment involved for example was one of the things that held back amateur cinematography but digital, high definition cameras are now available at a fraction of the cost, a situation that is paralleled by lighting and sound recording equipment as well. In the case of animation, it was the sheer magnitude of the task involved in doing traditional, hand-drawn cels that balked amateurs, and for them the revolution has come in the form of computer software packages that allow one person to create two and three dimensional images that before were the result of a production line of artists. Many of the computer generated special effects that before only Spielberg could afford can now be created by 'Everyman'. Parallel advances have been made in the spread of expertise and knowledge that was once only acquired by working one's way up through the appropriate branch of the entertainment industry.

However none of this would have had the same effect if amateur producers could not get their work seen or experienced by others. The cost of maintaining a TV or radio network is phenomenal, as is the infrastructure involved in movie theaters. Once again, it was technology that came to the rescue by the creation of a new distribution network, the internet, which has become the defacto distribution network that connects and binds us together as a culture and a society.

Fans are riding this wave of technology to new heights - fan films, fan audio dramas, fan animation - however there is one component of the mass media market that we have not assailed: fan publishing. Where there are fan film-makers there are fan films, where there are fan voice actors there are fan audio dramas but although there are probably an order of magnitude more fan authors, where are the fan books?

[To be continued]

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#5 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thank you so much for publishing Reversal.

It was, as you can imagine, a labor of love, as they all are.

It is an incredible rush to see it in print.

The characters live.
Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

Ah! But when is a book not a book? When, for that matter, is a film not a film? Although we call them fan films, they are not shot on celluloid like Ben Hur or Casablanca was nor, with a few notable exceptions, will you ever see them on the big screen of a cinema. Likewise audio dramas are really a subtly different thing from radio plays (I could wax elloquent on that subject).

So when I talk about a fan book, what do you visualise? A hard back novel? A mass market paperback? Don't hold your breath buddy! Although I see no substantial ethical reason for not doing so, the current stance of most online, Print On Demand (POD) publishers is that they class fan fiction as a breach of copyright and will not print them.

So what are your choices? I assume there are a number of printers, especially small local printers, who will see the reality of the situation that the world of Intellectual Properties will not crumble and The World As We Know It will not fall because of your fanfic and will print it for you. Whether you will be able to find one who can do one as a one-off job rather than a print run of 200, I'm not so sure.

You can publish it yourself. You can print it out in folio A4 / US Letter (ie printed in landscape and folded in half vertically) as a 12 page "booklet", sew them and bind them. No, I'm serious, it can be done by amateurs! It's not easy, probably on a par with skilled woodwork or needlework, but it can be done.

Or you could publish them as an eBook.

Posted Image

#7 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

Welcome Richard!

Welcome Richard.

Thanks, guys! Great to be part of a winning team! :thumbsup:

#8 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

Thanks, guys! Great to be part of a winning team! :thumbsup:

Did I forget to say welcome? :blush: oops

The fact is that Richard is somewhat of an expert on eBooks in his own right and has a pretty substantial catalogue of books that he has created, most of them his own work - just click on his sig banner. In fact his download page is an example of one direction that we might go for a distribution page for the books that we create... but I get ahead of myself.

What are we going to do and how are we going to do it? (All of this, by the way, is open to discussion - nobody died and made me the king of the world!) Let's start with a mission statement...

TrekUnited Publishing exists to help StarTrek fan fiction authors create and distribute their work, without any charge or expectation of favour beyond our common love of Star Trek. We do this without any implication of copyright ownership beyond the authors moral right to be identified as such and his ownership of original characters and ideas

Gotta go!

Posted Image

#9 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

Ok, so that didn't exactly sing and dance, but do you get the core principles?
  • Respect for the copyright owner's rights
  • Respect for the owner's rights
  • We get nothing out of it beyond the satisfaction of the job
I want that last bit to be perfectly clear: we might style ourselves as fan publishers but all we get out it are more eBooks to read and the satisfaction of networking with other fans.
  • We don't charge for what we do either from the authors or the readers
  • We make no claims to ownership of the books
If you are an author and you like what we've done, you can pay us back by writing more and dropping by every now and then to tell us how you're going on.

If you are a reader and you like the books then comment either on the TrekUnited release page or (even better) seek out the author's home forum or group and leave him or her some comment there.

Share the love Baby!

Posted Image

#10 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

...But wait! There's more!
  • There will be no limit or favouritism to where the author originally publishes: TrekUnited, TrekBBS, Ad Astra, The Delphic Expanse, The USS Goodshiplollipop Yahoo Group... Whilst I certainly want to encourage TrekUnited as a venue for publishing fan fiction, the masthead of Hailing Frequencies Open is, "Bringing fans together" and I kinda like that. This is our "outreach" programme to help others.
  • TU Publishing is not vanity publishing. Anything we publish has had at least a basic level of comment. This is to encourage writers to initially write for their favourite forum / group to get comment and feedback which will polish their work up before sending out into the Interwebs!
  • The publishing schedule will be set once a month, initially in three streams...
    - HFO every two weeks until the Twelfth Trek Day of Christmas is out then... we'll see where we want to go from there.
    - A novel formatted as an A format Mass Market Paperback every 2 weeks released same week as HFO
    - A script / virtual series / virtual season episode formatted to A4 / US Letter every 2 weeks and released on alternate weeks to HFO
  • The pool of Novel authors (A MMP formatted) who wish to be published can have one work scheduled at a time, at the moment this looks like ...
    - Reversal-Jespah : Published!!
    - Retribution-Shull
    - ST Gibralter 2-Redfeather
    - This doesn't include Richard's books because they have been formatted and released already, we are simply highlighting and publicizing them. When he has something new... (^V^)
  • The pool of Series authors (A4 / US Letter formatted) who wish to be published can have one work scheduled at a time, at the moment this looks like ...
    - Despatches From The Romulan War
    - Star Trek: Eras - The Big Bang!
    - ST Imperium Episode 1
    - Enterprise S5 Photonovel
    - the only reason Enterprise S5 is being saved for the same week as the twelfth issue of HFO is because the double page spreads are being serialised and the publishing will be an anthology edition at the end of the twelve issue run.
  • I think we should give new authors - people who haven't been published by us - a break if we can
  • - All works have to be self-edited: sorry guys, my priority is to publish as much as possible and copyediting is time consuming when done correctly (I'm not the best at it either). I'll spot check a half-dozen places at random for spelling and grammar because we need to maintain a high standard. I'm trusting you to want to show your work at its best.
  • I will definately be giving people who self-format a priority. I'm going to fix up a template that people can use to bring their work to our minimum standards, in effect you could create your own pdf novel and if so I'll happily slip it in as a double release. This doesn't include eBook publishing: I'll leave it to Richard to set any requirements he needs
  • In general I want this to be seen as us wanting to *help* people to publish their work and all of this is open to discussion at this stage. I'll probably throw it open to discussion at the monthly scheduling meeting as well - I don't want *anyone* to feel left out.
Gotta burn off in the gym!

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#11 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:29 AM

Did I forget to say welcome? :blush: oops

You said welcome way back when I joined the forum. :)

The fact is that Richard is somewhat of an expert on eBooks in his own right and has a pretty substantial catalogue of books that he has created, most of them his own work - just click on his sig banner. In fact his download page is an example of one direction that we might go for a distribution page for the books that we create... but I get ahead of myself.

Oh heck no. I'm just a monkey poking at it with a stick at this point. :P

One thing I think can be improved on my web page is to make the "Ebook Conversion Service" part more prominent. And whatever we come up with should also strongly promote this. It's the whole point, after all. Well, a big part of it anyway. :)

If you are a reader and you like the books then comment either on the TrekUnited release page or (even better) seek out the author's home forum or group and leave him or her some comment there.

Yeah, I think that last part is important no matter how we wind up doing this. We don't want to steal the thunder from the author's own web site. I have prominent Homepage links on my page.

#12 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

One thing I think can be improved on my web page is to make the "Ebook Conversion Service" part more prominent. And whatever we come up with should also strongly promote this. It's the whole point, after all. Well, a big part of it anyway. :)

When we are doing it for someone outside TrekUnited it's pretty much what we will be doing - might think of it as a package that we can apply to someone's work.

Yeah, I think that last part is important no matter how we wind up doing this. We don't want to steal the thunder from the author's own web site. I have prominent Homepage links on my page.

I've always thought of TrekUnited as a place where any Star Trek fan can feel at home. No empire building, no "them-and-us"... inclusive rather than exclusive. This is even a situation where I would welcome competition! The whole idea is to get as much fan fiction as possible up there online for the 'great unwashed' to see, read, experience and perhaps get hooked on!

The only thing I ask is that we are listed as the online publisher on page 3, not just because we deserve the recognition (and by we I mean you in the majority) but because of the responsibility factor. If someone spots something wrong or thinks they can do better I want them to look me in the eye when they say it. If they are right, or if they have a valid difference of opinion then I'll thank them for the feedback.

If its just "Har! Har! this sux" I shall dismiss them as the nidikin that they are.

K

PS No, it has nothing to do with Pokemon :innocent:

Posted Image

#13 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Well, my Ebook Archive is slowly growing. The first seven episodes of Michael Gray's Star Trek: Dark Horizon are either completed and available or are in the works. Garry Stahl's Epiphany Trek is also underway with six episodes in the can.

If anyone has a finished story they'd like to see in ebook format just let me know and we'll get you added to the growing list of Trek fanfic ebooks!

#14 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Well, my Ebook Archive is slowly growing. The first seven episodes of Michael Gray's Star Trek: Dark Horizon are either completed and available or are in the works. Garry Stahl's Epiphany Trek is also underway with six episodes in the can.

If anyone has a finished story they'd like to see in ebook format just let me know and we'll get you added to the growing list of Trek fanfic ebooks!

I have stuff -- am just figuring out covers right now. That is definitely my weakest area -- the visuals.

Posted Image

#15 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

Yay!

I mean yay that you have stuff, not yay that you suck at graphics. :)

So Yay!

#16 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Yay!

I mean yay that you have stuff, not yay that you suck at graphics. :)

So Yay!

To me, covers are really important - which is more visually interesting: THIS website from a major bookstore or THIS list of books which are almost certainly better books? It's not just commercialism either. There must be dozens of new fan fiction novels every month, thousands in the course of a year - If you want someone to read your novel then your reader needs a reason. It could be your description, you might give them a teaser passage but just as a fan film is more "accessable" than an audio drama, a good visual "hook" will be your biggest drawcard.

K

Posted Image

#17 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

Voyager Virtual Season Project
http://vv8.jetc.org/main.html

It might be 8 years old but Virtual Voyager is still the virtual season and eBook website that I use as the benchmark for class and style ...I've even read a couple of them!

Posted Image

#18 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

To me, covers are really important - which is more visually interesting: THIS website from a major bookstore or THIS list of books which are almost certainly better books? It's not just commercialism either. There must be dozens of new fan fiction novels every month, thousands in the course of a year - If you want someone to read your novel then your reader needs a reason. It could be your description, you might give them a teaser passage but just as a fan film is more "accessable" than an audio drama, a good visual "hook" will be your biggest drawcard.

K

I agree that they are important -- would love to see more collaborations, e. g. visual artists hooking up with writers. That way, both can be showcased.

Posted Image

#19 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

I agree that they are important -- would love to see more collaborations, e. g. visual artists hooking up with writers. That way, both can be showcased.

Absolutely! I wish I had more contacts on DeviantART and elsewhere to attract fan artists.

K

Posted Image

#20 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

New Twitter account for promoting fan fiction:
http://twitter.com/#!/TUPublishing

Please follow, we will follow back.