Wisconson Senators flee State ... Manhunt Ensues

4 replies to this topic

#1 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Wisconson State Senators have been put in a precarious position where they have had to actually leave the State of Wisconson entirely and hide out in undisclosed locations to evade possible arrest by State Troopers.

No, this isn't Ethiopia, or the Sudan, or Cote d'ivoire ... this is the freaking United States of America where this is happening. And why all the hubbub? Because GOP legislators are working a plan to bust the unions that didn't support their party in the last election. Teachers, Public Service Employees, and many other groups are on the cusp of having their collective bargaining rights stripped from them. However, unions such as the Police, Firefighters, and State Troopers will not be subject to these new, union-busting, regulations. Ironically, these are the same unions who donated heavily to the GOP.

Now, colour me reactionary, but I don't think that the self proclaimed "Beacon of Liberty" should look so much like a Banana Republic(an).

Let me know what you think?
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I was just talking to my friend who is a 4th grade teacher. She is so upset. She has been teaching for 20 years. She works harder than most people I know. She volunteers in the community more than most people I know. She is not unusual or extraordinary. She does what most teachers in this country do. She has to hold down a 2nd job to pay the bills. She is not getting rich off the taxpayer. As a matter of fact...teacher pay kinda sucks. She has been forced to comply to ridiculous standards that politicians put into place with no real understanding of what it is to teach children. The teacher's union is strong because it needs to be, The reality is that when budgets need to be cut...the first things to go are the arts and education.

If everyone just thought about going to work every day...trying to get a bunch of teenagers to pay attention to them...and then get those same teenagers to perform on tests that reflect the fact that you put your heart and soul into teaching them, only to have that same teenager not pay attention because they were too busy texting their bff or their boyf...or planning the next party they are going to...then have your job on the line for that kid's performance... I'm not so sure that people would choose to go into that field. They don't STAY in teaching because it is easy. Working at the supermarket is easier and more lucrative.

That all being said...

Go Dems!! Hold the line...

I don't buy the whole Republican argument....I'm sure that the unions are willing to compromise...

The last thing I have to say about unions...having been a Teamster and a member of the UFCW....yeah...as an educated person, I probably could have represented myself better than they did...but what about all the folks who have not gone to college or do not speak English as their first language in this country...and even just folks who are "none too swift"...don't they deserve to be treated with respect and earn a decent wage as well as have health insurance if they are working for it?

Edited by trekkin', 18 February 2011 - 04:58 PM.

"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#3 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

This is similar to a tactic used in TX a couple years ago and their legislators camped out in OK. NH's Democratic governor is proposing quite a few deep spending cuts in his proposed budget as well (including trimming the state budget by 5% and shedding 283 employees). Ironically he has the support of the SEIU up here who got their concessions and lost members through attrition of the workforce. But the GOP held state legislature largely led by GOP members who were former DC insiders is griping he didn't go far enough. No pickets at the State House here though.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#4 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

An op-ed from Forbes on the subject

http://blogs.forbes....-public-unions/
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#5 tish

tish

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

Trekkin's right about the life of a teacher. Having said that, I do not belong to a teachers' union, as I also believe that I am my best advocate, and there are pathways to follow should I need to be so. I am thankful I am not FORCED to be a part of a union, however have no problem with others making that choice.

My negative experience with another union situation is that common sense was ignored time and time again, for instance workers not picking up trash from a floor because it was 'not in their job description' and they were being backed by their union. I mean geeeesh. This problem was solved by management when they pointed out the safety measures being thwarted by such actions, and only then did the union leadership relent. Of course, they demanded incentives, such as safety feeds and rewards for keeping their workplace clean. And the WORKERS were the ones making in unclean and unsafe?!!

That is just one of a list of such actions being done in that workplace, and I could not see the justification of it. Especially when I was cleaning restrooms during a crisis at one of our schools, as well as always picking up trash on the floors, and you BET that was not in the job description per say of a master's degree, experienced teacher. It was just THE RIGHT THING TO DO, and I did not expect ra reward, other than personal satisfaction of doing a chore that needed to be done for the benefit of my environment. Oh well. Those are my own perspectives and experiences, and that is all I have to go on with my perception of this news.

I think all legislators should do their jobs, not duck issues, and work for their constituents, rather than bail, stall, prevaricate, play nicey nice, all for THEIR ultimate goal....that of being re-elected. And that goes across all political spectrums, IMHO. I AM all for term limits, and getting a more diverse background in our political system......too many freaking lawyers.

Rant over.
TUCKER: Malcolm? REED: I see it. TUCKER: Good. Means I'm not hallucinating. How can a ship be bigger on the inside than the outside? REED: It could be a hologram. TUCKER: Hand me that hyperspanner. (drops it down the hole - it hits bottom after two seconds) REED: You're not going down there? TUCKER: Got to get my spanner back.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users