Photo

Andorians: Why never a main character in any series?

20 replies to this topic

#1 crypticjosh

crypticjosh

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

I was just talking with my fiance' about Star Trek races that appear in all cannon Star Trek series, and how there is a main character aboard each vessel or space station of each of those races, except the Andorains. Just wondering if anyone might have any idea why. (I personally think it should have happened in the Voyager series, replacing Commander Chakotay with an Andorian first officer. Robert Beltran should have still been the proposed Andorian first officer). Also, if you could replace any character in any of the Trek series with an Andorian Star Fleet officer, who would it be?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

The main reason IMO is the makeup/prosthetic required for the antennae. Shran was my favorite recurring character on Enterprise. The TOS Andorians look clunky and unrealistic even by 1960s standards, which is why they were rarely shown in closeup. AFAIK they needed three people to work the antennae on Enterprise, which is probably why they didn't use Andorians/Aenar as much as they might otherwise have done.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#3 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

I was just talking with my fiance' about Star Trek races that appear in all cannon Star Trek series, and how there is a main character aboard each vessel or space station of each of those races, except the Andorains. Just wondering if anyone might have any idea why. (I personally think it should have happened in the Voyager series, replacing Commander Chakotay with an Andorian first officer. Robert Beltran should have still been the proposed Andorian first officer). Also, if you could replace any character in any of the Trek series with an Andorian Star Fleet officer, who would it be?

I vaguely recall, though don't ask me where, that when they were cooking up TNG, Gene Roddenberry unilaterally decreed that there shalt be no more cheesy aliens with antennae. And there weren't for a very long time. Though they did manage to sneak in a few in at the end of STIV. But I could be wrong. :)

#4 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

I was going to say because they're dumb, but maneth's explanation seems pretty reasonable. Odds are extremely high that Shran would have become a main cast member had Enterprise gotten a fifth season, but alas, such was not the case.

#5 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Andorian's are not the only race that does not have a main character. There are Romulans,Bolian's,The Sheliak... :nonono:

#6 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

Romulans can't really be main because they're enemies. There were no main Klingon characters until TNG for the same reason. They did manage to get an enemy main character in Seven, but she's a special case since nobody joins the Borg if they have a choice in the matter.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#7 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Oh! So i was wrong.

#8 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

What makes Andorians so special?

#9 vanilla_robot

vanilla_robot

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Shran was my favorite recurring character on Enterprise

me too! i *heart* shran.

#10 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

What makes Andorians so special?

Have you seen Enterprise yet?

#11 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Nope. I have seen only TNG and VOY. Is there something special about Andorians in ENT?

#12 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

apart from the great make-up and acting the andorians get more depth and karacter building...
So, if you get a chance go and see enterprise. :upsidedown:
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#13 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Nope. I have seen only TNG and VOY. Is there something special about Andorians in ENT?

Yes. They're utterly awesome. Shran is easily one of the best recurring characters from any Trek show. Maybe the best.

#14 vanilla_robot

vanilla_robot

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

....on a sidenote i also really liked the aenar. i wish they had more than one episode :(

#15 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

On the assumption that you have trouble getting hold of Enterprise in your country, Commander, I went looking for a Youtube video and (since you probably would not like anything too romantic) thought I'd show you this clip from one of the later seasons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzsW-gtWZY0

Shran and the Andorians are generally very competative and agressive although not as much as the Klingons. Shran is a great warrior who, over the course of the four seasons, learns to overcome the distrust his people have of nearly every other race, mostly from the way that the Humans and Vulcans prove themselves to be good friends in battle.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#16 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

On the assumption that you have trouble getting hold of Enterprise in your country, Commander, I went looking for a Youtube video and (since you probably would not like anything too romantic) thought I'd show you this clip from one of the later seasons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzsW-gtWZY0

Shran and the Andorians are generally very competative and agressive although not as much as the Klingons. Shran is a great warrior who, over the course of the four seasons, learns to overcome the distrust his people have of nearly every other race, mostly from the way that the Humans and Vulcans prove themselves to be good friends in battle.

K

I don not have no trouble getting Enterprise. I can download it from IsoHunt.

#17 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

Commander_Lazar,if you want know more about Andorian-watch "Enterprise" and "The next generation",too you can watch "star trek:The original series".In this series many speak about this race.I mean,what you watch some episodes about Andorian in "TOS".Watch in series "Enterprise" episode "Incident with Andorian"-this is very interesting episode(two season).I think,what you like this episode in this series.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#18 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

Commander_Lazar,if you want know more about Andorian-watch "Enterprise" and "The next generation",too you can watch "star trek:The original series".In this series many speak about this race.I mean,what you watch some episodes about Andorian in "TOS".Watch in series "Enterprise" episode "Incident with Andorian"-this is very interesting episode(two season).I think,what you like this episode in this series.

Тhanks for the advice!

#19 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

I was glad help you:say about Andorian race in series "Star Trek".I hope,what my information was interesting for you Commander_Lazar,If you have more quastion about other race in "Star Trek"-writed in private message,i answer you.

Edited by Martok, 10 June 2011 - 03:41 PM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#20 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:50 AM

OK I just watched the first season of ENT and now I get your love for Andorians! :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users