#1 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

AUDIO SERIES PREMIERE

VOYAGES OF THE USS ANGELES

The premiere episode of the new audio series, Voyages of the USS Angeles, will be launched into limited release during a special chat this coming Monday, January 31, 2011 at 17:15 Pacific Standard Time. Owing to the HFP IRC chat room being offline at the present time, Richard Miles of Trekkie Central Magazine has offered us the use of his publication's newly-launched chat room for this release. The chat room is located here: http://trekkiecentra...room/4547770991

General release will occur via both the USS Angeles' website and the Hidden Frontier website shortly thereafter, with concurrent release via iTunes and Zune as a podcast.

Main Cast
Janice Willcocks as herself
Dave Mason as himself
Gloria Rodriguez as herself
Gary Sandridge as himself
James Jones as Lieutenant Jamie Jackman
Susan Fox as Commander Sou
Katie Moss as herself
Jennifer Cole as Lieutenant Danielle DuBois
Camren T. Burton as Ervann
Jonathan Connor as himself
Ariel Vitali as Dr. Ari Mistral
Jim Davis as Dr. Qu'Qul
Stacy Levesque as herself
Luis Valentin as Soval
Kestra Oliver as herself
Paul Lester as himself
Chris Esquibel as Dayaron

Guest Cast
Carol Soldo as Admiral Alice Rand

Story: Camren T. Burton and Rob Caves
Directed by: Jennifer Cole and Camren T. Burton
Theme: Bodo Hartwig
Music: Dave Mason
Editor and Sound Engineer: David W. Hill
Technical Consultant: Jonathan Connor
Executive Producers: Dave Mason, Janice Willcocks, David W. Hill and Rob Caves

Voyages of the USS Angeles is a co-production of the USS Angeles and Hidden Frontier Productions.

Posted Image

David W. Hill
Executive Producer, Henglaar, M.D. and Star Trek: Diplomatic Relations
Hidden Frontier Productions

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

Perhaps a little background info will put this production into perspective...

The USS Angeles is a Star Trek Fan Club, an affiliated chapter of Starfleet International started in 1995, which produced a series of Star Trek fan films between 1998 - 2000 entitled The Voyages of the USS Angeles. This VHS video series which made extensive use of greenscreen technique and computer generated starship scenes was distributed & sold for the cost of the materials only to club members, many of whom were featured as performers.

In a post on the Hidden Frontier Productions forum, Janice Willcocks, the chapter head and co-executive producer of the club's fan films, described how she and Rob Caves met at Loyola Marymount University and went on to create the fan film series. The influence of the USS Angeles series went far beyond its state and national boundaries and 'alumni' of this production were to go on to work on other fan productions, most noticeably Rob, who went on to helm Star Trek: Hidden Frontier for seven seasons before graduating to his own Indie film project, Frontier Guard.

Over the past couple of years the club has relaxed its ruling against releasing the shows and they are currently being hosted on Vimeo. The filmography of the series is...

1.01 - 'Return to Duty' Website Vimeo
The USS Angeles returns to Earth for R and R following the Dominion War. But trouble is brewing in the Briar Patch and the Angeles is dispatched to check it out!

1.02 - 'A Little Night Music' Website Vimeo
The Briar Patch and Deep Space 12 are threatened by a mysterious subspace storm. The crew of the USS Angeles must unravel its mystery before it destroys planet Baku!

1.03 - 'Dreamers' Website Vimeo
Artim from the planet Baku is caught in the middle of an intergalactic power struggle over the healing planet. DS12 and the crew of the USS Angeles may be the only hope to save Artim, and fragile relations with the Breen!

1.04 - 'Q in the Dark' Website Vimeo
Lt. Munoz completes his officer's training on a routine exercise that quickly turns deadly with the appearance of both Q and the Borg!

1.05 - 'Last of the Iconians' Website Vimeo
In the exciting season finale of Voyages of the USS Angeles, the Angeles stumbles upon an ancient Iconian Colony that's been devastated by war. But something survived.

That was then, this is now! I'm assuming that we are going to get a "reboot" in terms of an introduction to the ship and crew? I've been waiting for this for a long time!

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

That was then, this is now! I'm assuming that we are going to get a "reboot" in terms of an introduction to the ship and crew? I've been waiting for this for a long time!

Without giving away the plot - there is some "reboot" in terms of re-introduction to the ship and crew.

The ship hasn't changed - it's still a tri-nacelled Galaxy "dreadnought" variant (Galaxy-III or Entente, depending on your mood). There is a ten-year "gap" in the story of the ship that I understand will be dealt with in future stories.

In terms of the original Angeles video series, there are a number of returning characters - Willcocks, Mason, Moss, Sou, Qu'Qul come to mind immediately (Sou and Qu'Qul were also featured in Hidden Frontier episodes 4.06 and 5.01 - "Entanglement, Parts One and Two"). There are some new characters, but with a few exceptions (like why Sou is only the Assistant Chief Engineer to a CPO), there is some exposition, but not a great deal - I'm wagering the writers didn't want it to slow down the story. It is my understanding that future stories will also flesh out some of the crew members' back-stories. From a real-world perspective, they are mostly members of the Angeles club and thus were written into the show in some capacity. As such, it really is a fan production in this case - there was no casting call, like what I would do for an episode of Henglaar, M.D.. Hence all of the cast listings of "playing himself/herself".

Truth be told, I've been waiting for this for a long time, too. I signed on as the editor/sound guy in October of 2009. There were delays in getting everyone's lines recorded, we had a director added because of illness...it took a long time to get things to the point of commencing post-production (my job) and actually "creating" the episode, as it were - that started in late November. So I'm glad to finally be birthing this baby - it was a LONG gestation with some bumps along the way.

2.02 is currently being discussed by the Angeles. I'm sure that once they sign off on the script, the wheels of production will start spinning again - probably faster this time. It's been my experience that once you start the ball rolling, its hard to get it to stop. ;)
David W. Hill

#4 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

...From a real-world perspective, they are mostly members of the Angeles club and thus were written into the show in some capacity. As such, it really is a fan production in this case - there was no casting call, like what I would do for an episode of Henglaar, M.D.. Hence all of the cast listings of "playing himself/herself"....

Absolutely nothing wrong with that >COUGHDefiantCOUGH< :innocent:

Seriously, that's where it all starts off, trying to expand on your fan experience. Some just have fun with it and don't go any further, others find that they like what they do/have a talent for it and want to push the envelope. Personally i think a fan audio drama is a great way for a group of friends to really achieve something special: its doable, especially if you get the help and advise of someone who has experience.

If the prime movers behind the video series are still there I'd say that they'll have the drive to want to see so9mething significant come from it rather then just the audio equivalent of vanity publishing.

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#5 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with that >COUGHDefiantCOUGH< :innocent:

Seriously, that's where it all starts off, trying to expand on your fan experience. Some just have fun with it and don't go any further, others find that they like what they do/have a talent for it and want to push the envelope. Personally i think a fan audio drama is a great way for a group of friends to really achieve something special: its doable, especially if you get the help and advise of someone who has experience.

If the prime movers behind the video series are still there I'd say that they'll have the drive to want to see so9mething significant come from it rather then just the audio equivalent of vanity publishing.

Cheers

K

LOL

I totally agree - I think ANG and HMD are a bit different in that regard. ANG is by and for the fans entirely. Not that HMD isn't - we've cast fans as well and I wouldn't be running it if we didn't have fans - but in trying to provide the best possible "product", I work to get the best possible actors for the roles I've got (without paying for them, anyways ;) ) Sometimes that's a fan who just wants to be part of the show, sometimes that's someone who's a fan and is working to become or actually is an actor. It's usually feast or famine.

The prime movers are all still there - this is definitely not a vanity exercise. :)
David W. Hill

#6 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Just got the synopsis from one of the writers of the episode:

"The U.S.S. Angeles is dispatched to the distant Gamma Quadrant on a joint mission with the Dominion to retrieve a cometary substance which may prove useful in protecting the Alpha and Beta Quadrants from another Archein invasion . . . but things in the comet fields soon go awry . . ."

The launch is in a little less than two hours - hope to see some of you there!
David W. Hill

#7 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

The USS Angeles has opted to release the episode directly - it is available via their website. The direct link to the file is here.

Hidden Frontier Productions is gearing up for its portion of the wide release. It will be available for download via the HFP website (http://www.hiddenfrontier.com) later in the week, along with a iTunes/Zune podcast download. I'll make the download link from the HFP website available when it comes online.
David W. Hill

#8 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

ANG 2.01 is now available via the Hidden Froniter website here. If you're subscribed to Hidden Frontier via either iTunes or Zune, the episode should be ready to download as a podcast.
David W. Hill

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users