• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Just wanted to fill you guys in on some recent issues. Over the past month we have been hit with a lot of spammers, most are automated, some are real humans. We recently have been hit by spammers from Russia posting in Russian with Russian spam links. Tuesday night I implemented some changes to the registration to make it hard for automated spammers to get through. I also cleaned up, and was able to ban most of the Russian spammers from getting through.

As a result, it looks like I got someone mad in Russia, because Trekunited has been getting Denial Of Service (DOS) attacks since 3:00 pm yesterday. These DOS attack have brought the server down to a crawl. Working with our new server provider, it was confirmed that these attacks were coming from Russian IP addresses. Many of these IP address ranges have now been blocked, so were are doing better.

I will not tolerate spammers here, there accounts will be deleted right away. i am also going to probably add 2 or 3 more moderators to help.

Thank You.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Egads, I didn't even know such a thing was possible.

All hands, battle stations! Target all phase cannons on the spammers!

#3 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

They used the same attack as the Wikileaks supporters used against the ones who "crossed" them. It doesn't harm the database, like an "email bomb" it just overwhelms the server. It is actually a pretty common form of attack used a lot by amateur hackers. We've seen worse ones, the server company weathered it well.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#4 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Yes, over the year Trekunited has seen a few DOS attacks and was even completly rooted once.

#5 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Imagine all that attention over little old us :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#6 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

thanks for the update guy's. It sure is giving funky messages when I want to log in.
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#7 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

Ah, that's what was slowing us down.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#8 paulinem

paulinem

Connortator Extraordinaire...

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Tom! So am I correct in assuming that the connection problems I had yesterday, and the 503 Internal Server message I got this morning, is also due to these morons who have nothing better to do with their lives?

Posted Image

Persistence, Patience and Perseverance Pays Off!

(practice makes perfect)

#9 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Correct Paulinem.

#10 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

It was sending a prompt for me to download a file..?? Weird..

All is well now...*fingers crossed,*
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#11 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Finally in. Thanks for the fast work Tom. I'm sure that was a headache. *sends hypospray w/level 3 pain killer*
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#12 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

Red alert, raise shields, return fire!
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#13 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Phasers set to KILL.

Torpedos armed - ...... just let me hit the RED button!!!!
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#14 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

I also HIGHLY advise that you "modulate your shield frequency"(See: change your password) as a precaution. I don't think they got that far but it never hurts to update your password every so often.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#15 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hmmm - okay. I'll reset and see where that takes me.

BTW: server still extremely slow on this end. Takes 5-8 seconds to load reply to a post. About 10 seconds to load a page. Thought y'all should know.
Mac Anderson

#16 trekkin'

trekkin'

• Global Moderators
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

This too shall pass...

You know...It is always something....

If it's not one thing...it's another...Like my Uncle Luigi always used to say.....

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#17 tish

tish

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Thank you all for the hard work, detailed efforts, and persistence. I am learning something new the longer I am here, even thought this is a lesson I would rather do without. Glad you are keeping one of my favorite places safe and sound. :buttrock:.
TUCKER: Malcolm? REED: I see it. TUCKER: Good. Means I'm not hallucinating. How can a ship be bigger on the inside than the outside? REED: It could be a hologram. TUCKER: Hand me that hyperspanner. (drops it down the hole - it hits bottom after two seconds) REED: You're not going down there? TUCKER: Got to get my spanner back.

#18 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Tom - I can't use the multi-quote button. Today the server is quicker though. Thanks for all the hard work.
Mac Anderson

#19 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

What happen with forum: more one-two week here on TU registration many spammers.in last year on forum do not was spammers.Possible make,what in next time spammers do not registration on TU,of course if this possible make.

#20 trekkin'

trekkin'

• Global Moderators
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Spam happens. When they issue info on a new movie, even if it is just a rumor...people spam here...Why???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users