5 replies to this topic

#1 mos6507

mos6507

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

I may be getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm developing a recurring webshow around the Xtranormal State machinima software in conjunction with virtual backgrounds and space footage gleaned mostly from Star Trek Online.

I've been posting little skits that are mostly tech demos showing off first attempts at one approach or another and now I have a contest running to bring in more animators. So far I have one submission so far.

I'd like to throw open the gates for anyone else who wants to participate. The best place to join up would be the xtranormal-tech yahoo group.

I have a preliminary writer's bible as well as some initial episode concepts that I'd like to pursue. So this is on the cusp of becoming a real entity, but it would be a lot easier to have a group working on it than just me. I actually have other shows I'd like to get back to, so I'd like to get the ball rolling and then pass the torch off and not be so actively involved.

Right now what I need the most is someone to write some official theme music. This is what I have so far which is nothing more than a mashup.

I also could use an animator for the exterior space shots so that I'm not limited to what I can capture via Star Trek Online. Finding someone who can make a hard commitment to render footage for this project has been tough. It's been far easier to rely on my own wits.

However, I know there are a lot of people who have been doing this sort of thing for a long time and could generate the sort of generic footage I'd need for this show fairly easily (entering and exiting orbits, etc...)

Hoping to hear from you, thanks.

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 mos6507

mos6507

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

This is the last call for collaborators! Fem Trekz: The Motion Picture is kicking into high-gear in the next week or two. Please consider joining the team.

Edited by mos6507, 24 April 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#3 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

You should also post on the TrekBBS.
Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

This is the last call for collaborators! Fem Trekz: The Motion Picture is kicking into high-gear in the next week or two. Please consider joining the team.

I saw this come up on Youtube and listened to it. A Ray Tracer? I think it rings a distant bell with an embedded player I tried to instal once but truly, you'd have to give me more information to help. From what you said in THIS thread it sounds like you need what I believe they call in the movie business as a "location scout". If you are looking for stills of interiors, have you considered enlisting the help of someone in the DAZ / Poser Trek community? Have a look at the Star Trek Builder's threads, currently in its eigth incarnation and representing a pretty massive repository of Star Trek related material.

By the way, did you know that there is a live action fan film that uses a Nova class ship as its sets? Star Trek: Dark Armada is a Dutch fan film group that has been around for years! They've produced some good episodes and their cgi is particularly impressive, although I see that one of their posts last years was looking for a 3DS animator. I'll keep my eyes open for anything else.

As regards music, it is a common problem for all Trek fan productions, especially audio drama whose fabric is made up of voice, sound effects and music. I'll send you something off-list about composers that might help but perhaps you might need to think about what exactly you are going to ask for. You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but you want to create the video first, giving you scenes of a set length that you want someone to write suitable music to? I did a bit of research and found this fascinating article written by David Bell describing how he scored the music for DSN, VOY and ENT.

I'm not a musician and, if the truth be told, only a tyro at audio drama editing, but my overall impression of Trek music, especially The Original Series, is that they had specific themes that they used for humour, fights, suspense, scene bridges, even the Klingons, and that these were used as emphasis points and stings in conjunction with sound effects and more generic music. Perhaps if you were to be specific and ask a composer for an opening theme and some specific short cues that would complement it, say a bridging piece, cues for action, humour and stings?

These could be mixed over background music made with Creative Commons licensed music, their website suggestions being...
Alternatively you could fork out for royalty free music, where you pay a single, up-front fee and no continuing royaties. The top three results I got when I Googled royalty free music cues were, iStockphoto, Royalty-free music and stockmusicstore.com

Hope that helps

K

PS - The best place to study the TOS original music is at TrekCore

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#5 mos6507

mos6507

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

Here we are over a year later and I've decided to roll on this by myself and one other person helping who is doing his own spinoff. It seems like it's a fulltime job just to look for help. Unlike most (if not all) fan filmmakers, as of October, I have gone the extra step of quitting my dayjob to do this (I am drawing on a nestegg). It's not specifically for me to do Fem Trekz, but part of a potential pivot into animation as a career should this pan out, otherwise an extended sabbatical. So that helps free me up somewhat although it is still overwhelming as I am still having to code the State Plus software extensions in order to just provide the tools I need to do the mods to do the show (ala the house that jack built). I also have a good musical ear and may bite the bullet and do my own plagiarized riffs from the Horner, Goldsmith, and Williams playbook just so I'm not limited to the timing of the existing soundtracks. I'm still open to collaborators but it's more about letting people jump in vs. courting people. Maybe after I actually start posting finished clips rather than screentests people will "get it" as I simply don't think anyone really does know where I'm going with this yet. It's not going to be what people initially think it is, and that's what I think is going to make it so unique.

#6 Butch

Butch

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

:D Stopping by to say Hey! :)

1490619_628688160575397_6897668575478870

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users