To Preview or Not to Preview...

5 replies to this topic

#1 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

As I'm gearing up to release the fifth episode of Henglaar, M.D.'s first season, I have a question-

Do you believe that there is benefit to releasing previews in advance of an episode (we've not done this up to this point, but we have a window in the schedule as our main/closing title music is being reworked)? If so, which do you think would be of more value? Releasing some or all of the "teaser"? Or coming up with a theatrical-styled teaser ("In a world of...")?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
David W. Hill
Executive Producer, Henglaar, M.D. and Star Trek: Diplomatic Relations
Hidden Frontier Productions

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

I've never understood the attraction of this practice.
Posted Image

#3 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

If it were a production where you would need to build "word of mouth" because you want people to buy something, it would be useful - but I think in this case, since the production is of love - the word of mouth can be generated after you release your entire product. If snippets or trailers were used - you could use them as bait to place on other sites to bring people to your site to download the entire thing... that might be useful...

#4 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

If snippets or trailers were used - you could use them as bait to place on other sites to bring people to your site to download the entire thing... that might be useful...

That was kinda the thought in my head. :)
David W. Hill

#5 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

As I'm gearing up to release the fifth episode of Henglaar, M.D.'s first season, I have a question-

Do you believe that there is benefit to releasing previews in advance of an episode (we've not done this up to this point, but we have a window in the schedule as our main/closing title music is being reworked)? If so, which do you think would be of more value? Releasing some or all of the "teaser"? Or coming up with a theatrical-styled teaser ("In a world of...")?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Make radio style advert, go to Trek Radio, knock three times and ask for Zach - tell him Kirok sent ya!

I'm not sure what the current status is, but I know that they have been looking for Trek audio dramas to run - you could perhaps arrange a gala premiere there! Or are you still doing a first release on the ST HF chat forum?

Let me know what's happening and I'll see what we can do here.

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#6 DHillMSP

DHillMSP

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Make radio style advert, go to Trek Radio, knock three times and ask for Zach - tell him Kirok sent ya!

I'm not sure what the current status is, but I know that they have been looking for Trek audio dramas to run - you could perhaps arrange a gala premiere there! Or are you still doing a first release on the ST HF chat forum?

Let me know what's happening and I'll see what we can do here.

Cheers

K

I've already been "introduced" to Zach through Rob (Zach had made an interview query of him)...haven't heard back on that front...guess I should knock on that door.... ;)

I'd be happy to have HMD run on Trek Radio...as for the other shows, I'd probably have to clear that through Rob (and the other audio show producers), but I doubt there'd be an issue. We have been doing "limited/special" releases in the chat room - I'm thinking that would continue, although there's nothing saying we can't do a gala premiere online prior to an episode's general release. :)

Cheers!
David W. Hill

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users