Music download advice!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlexanderAmanda_*

Guest_AlexanderAmanda_*

• Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

In light of my recent snag with CD copy protection, I am considering, repeat: considering subscribng to a music download service. I have no experience with downloading services. So I'll ask you all - who are hipper than me for some advice.

I have a PC and have been told that itunes makes you use the itunes software to play the files. Can I not play them with Windows Media Player? Can I save the file on my hard drive? Can I convert it to wma or mp3 format? Help help.

Napster looks good at a glance, but I'm told that if you ever cancel service, you can't keep your downloads? Is this true? Is everything stored online? Confused. Also told it is a BIG download, and I really don't need to be crowding my 3 year old computer with big programs.

I was considering emusic, but I think it is more for independant music, and does not have the selection I would like.

Also, I really won't be downloading a LOT. So any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by ensign edwards, 13 December 2010 - 03:31 PM.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Read this article. It might help answer some of your questions.

http://www.goingware...-downloads.html

itunes is a nightmare, but a liveable one. Getting it off your computer once installed takes an act of God. It also is a huge taker of hard drive space and RAM.

Napster and Rhapsody are legal and you pay for that. $5-$9/month or you can pay yearly. You can go to their sites and read their rules ... carefully.

Bear and MP3Rocket are free and legal but you are severely limited.

Music Oasis is also free, though I've not used them ... yet.

Stay clear of limewire - unless you have a VERY good virus/trojan/worm/spyware/firewall protection on your pc.

Hope that helps.......
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#3 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

I recommend these guys
http://discark.com/en/

Amazon is also good. In both cases it allows musicians to market and distribute their own media without feeding the record companies' legal machine and fans to buy the music legally. Also unlike idiotTunes, the media is DRM free so you can use it however you wish.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#4 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

you could just download files from companies like amazon, no service required. Just pic a song and buy. I like that way better than a lot of services as they often have heavier drm and some only allow access to the music as long as you keep an account. Amazon is strait mp3, use whatever software you like and pay for only what you buy.

I used to love amie street too... but they were bought by amazon in September. :(

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#5 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

I will say this though Poko. As e-tailers go I have been pretty happy with Amazon thus far. I'm likely going to see if I can score a deal on my textbooks through them.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#6 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

I will say this though Poko. As e-tailers go I have been pretty happy with Amazon thus far. I'm likely going to see if I can score a deal on my textbooks through them.

http://www.cheap-textbooks.com/ The friends buy their text books here and sell them on Amazon..... just a thought
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#7 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Not quite yet. I have some pre-reqs first.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users