LCARS

10 replies to this topic

#1 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Okay, this is my fetish at the moment. Getting my systems to look and act like those sexy LCARS terminals made popular by TNG and Voyager. I've tried a few systems but x32 is definately my favourite in terms of feel and functionality. LCARS ( Library Computer Access Retrieval System ) is an incredably comfortable and intuitive way to interact with a personal computer. And pretty easy to impliment.

Does anyone else share my boggle? Do you get a kick out of sitting back in your chair, saying "Computer, access Internet" and controling your whole computer environment with voice commands and cool Star Trek style graphics?

I'd love to hear of any apps, hacks or tricks you might have for making PC's as Star Treky as is humanly possable.

My main system setup is LCARS x32 with adjusted XP Window colours for looks on dual displays, Tazti for voice control, Lcars mail and Flash-10 for creating custom fx displays. I'm currently trolling on eBay for cheap touchscreen LCDs to top the whole experience off.

I added some gallery screenshots for anyone interested in taking a look.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:22 AM

Does anyone else share my boggle? Do you get a kick out of sitting back in your chair, saying "Computer, access Internet" and controling your whole computer environment with voice commands and cool Star Trek style graphics?

I'd love to hear of any apps, hacks or tricks you might have for making PC's as Star Treky as is humanly possable.

My main system setup is LCARS x32 with adjusted XP Window colours for looks on dual displays, Tazti for voice control, Lcars mail and Flash-10 for creating custom fx displays. I'm currently trolling on eBay for cheap touchscreen LCDs to top the whole experience off.

I added some gallery screenshots for anyone interested in taking a look.

Voice control? Wow! That beats the pants off the papermodel of a PADD I did once! Using the paper information technology being done by the "paper PDA" community, the Star Trek Papermodel Yahoo Group, the Okudagrams.com forum or the DIYPlanner forum, I made The Paper PADD Mk 01 for the Starfleet Cadet Academy, Tech Level: 2009! It stands to reason that, even with all the wizz-bang technology they will have in the 24th century, kids will still want to make things and teachers will still only be able to trust them with paper, glue & scissors!

I included eight notepad drawing and text pages, the two pdfs needed to print out the cover (print in colour, single-sided) and the insert sheets (colour, double sided) can be found on Scribd HERE and HERE. Feedback is always welcome!

Give me a day or so and I'll check my links for LCARs

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Heh, and I thought I was cool for being able to make origami cranes out of bus-tickets. ( too much exposure to the Bladerunner movie I guess... )

I forget where but I saw an excellent truetype font using that idea once. You just printed your text and you could cut it out and fold it and glue it into a full on 3D message.

I'm loving that PADD project though! I know I've some thin perspex and an A4 laminator in my attic someplace so it's giving me ideas for mock housings. Anyway, I know what my little Nephew will be making for me the next time I see him. :nod:

Cheers Kirok!

#4 marika valeris

marika valeris

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

:dunce: :drool: :worthy: Guys?? But something for WINDOWS VISTA -i know sucks like program, but my PC has this annoiyng stuff, i'm used with it and i don't wann change it- do you have? Or is working the same?
can i have your LCARS SHEPEE? :whistle:
TRIP IS NOT DEAD!!!!!I DONT LIKE YOU JJ.ABRAMS!

Posted Image

#5 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi Marika!

I also don't handle change well. I was still using Windows98 for years after XP was released and I haven't even tried Vista yet. I think the lcarsx32 shell sould work on Vista okay though.

It just sits on top of Windows and chages it's look and feel. You still have your Start Menu and Running Program Tabs like you would find on your usual Taskbar. You need to set up new links to launch your favourite programs but that dosn't take long. Voice control is a bit fiddly to set up though but it's not necessary to use the shell.

When you launch a program like a Browser or Text Editor it looks just like a normal Window. That's why I changed the Windows colour scheme to make it match in with LCARS better.

If you're curious then try the latest incremental build at http://lcarsx32.com/lcars/download.php

If you don't like it then just press the "Deactivate" button and "Exit Lcars" and you should drop nicely back into your normal Windows environment.

#6 marika valeris

marika valeris

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

thanks!! you'e nice :) .. i will try it!!

thanks!! you'e nice :) .. i will try it!!
TRIP IS NOT DEAD!!!!!I DONT LIKE YOU JJ.ABRAMS!

Posted Image

#7 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

My pleasure, gentile signora.

Let me know how your experience goes for you. :)

#8 adam_computes

adam_computes

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hi Schplee

Your LCARS ( Library Computer Access Retrieval System )looks like agreat project.

I actually work for tazti speech recognition and we are happy to see our software go to such good use!!!

We were thinking it might be great if you could get someone to video tape you using it and post it on Youtube with the words "star trek" and "tazti" and "lcars" in the title so it's easy to find. It could really show users how to use speech recognition in a creative way!! Someone built a "robey the robot" and mashed it up with tazti. It's a fun video to watch. Go to youtube and search for tazti. You will find it.

Best, Adam

#9 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

Hi Adam, it's a real pleasure to meet you. I'm a very big fan of Tazti. For speech recognition and versatility it blows anything else I've tried clear out of the water.

Took me a few hours of poking with it to realise the 'game profiles' weren't just for games but can control virtually anything! (I'm no great reader of manuals). It really does rock! You and your team deserve much kudos indeed.

That's a great idea about the YouTube demo. I have a bud with a decent DV camcorder so I'll set something up with him soon.

Heh, funny you should mention robots. I used to have a php driven irc-bot called Jeeps I based on the old Emacs Psychiatrist A.I. When I found Tazti the first thing I thought was, hey! This would have been a great way to interact with him.

That Robbie the Robot clip is brilliant! He's certainly the result of a very creative and warped mind :P

For anyone who wants to take a look the link is;
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jqyH7eiMJIA

And you can find out more about the fantastic Tazti engine at;
http://www.tazti.com/

Cheers for dropping in, Adam and welcome to Trek United! :thumbsup:

#10 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:19 AM

Took me a few hours of poking with it to realise the 'game profiles' weren't just for games but can control virtually anything!

I wonder if I could instal this on my son? I don't seem to have any control over him at all!

Hi Alan - Thanks for calling in! Stay for the cabaret, they're here all week! Stay away from the Gagh though... it bites back!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#11 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

I wonder if I could instal this on my son? I don't seem to have any control over him at all!

Heh heh heh... I fear that task is beyond the ken of Computer Science as we know it. Many a brave man has tried and been broken. Subliminal messages on his Xbox might work :P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users