À La Carte Government

3 replies to this topic

#1 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

As has been widely REPORTED a few days ago, the Cranick family of Obion County, Tennissee lost their home, their possessions, and their pets while firefighters stood by and watched, all for the wanting of a $75.00 fee that the Cranick's were remiss in paying for fire service from the neighboring municipality that provides the service for the area.

So, it kind of got me thinking about what GOP and Tea Party conservatives want to see the government be responsible for. So far we have had high-visibility candidates state they don't feel the government should provide healthcare, social security, financial oversight of the banking industry, employment insurance, or education. I honestly think that if the conservative movement had it's druthers it would be responsible for the Military and the Treasury, and leave all the other functions of governance to the free market.

You have to admire the logic though ... if you have all the money and the biggest guns, who needs a pesky electorate?
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

Well true minimal gov responsibility to be accurate is more of a Libertarian thing, a throwback to Jeffersonion principles. But that is also presuming basic services like defense and emergency services that most could not provide effectively alone. The GOP sometimes glaums onto those principles to attract fence riders or disenfranchised fiscal conservatives. Conservative Republicans in my observation cater more to business interests that fund them, sadly something the DNC seems to be emulating making them less receptive to their base.

The idea of just letting someone's house and possessions(and pets, can you say animal cruelty charges and civil suit?) burn over a 75 dollar fee seems awful damned cold though. We have cooperative services here as well but they're covered in property taxes. Glad I don't live in TN.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#3 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:24 PM

There is a part of me that is wondering what the true "libertarian" or "free market" agenda really is. I also kind of wonder what kind of person could stand and watch a person's possessions be destroyed by fire when one has the skill, training, and equipment to do something about it. Honestly, I believe that this has been an example of a certain kind of moral cowardice that is becoming more and more prevalent in the current political discourse.

As much as I like to believe I am a student of American culture, I find there is a great many things that I don't understand. I don't get how someone can advocate that a girl or woman who is pregnant by means of rape or incest cannot have an abortion. I don't understand how lower and middle class conservatives can advocate for a lessening of the tax burden for the richest Americans, a dismantling of the social safety net, and such a radical increase in the xenophobic rhetoric.

The biggest question I really have is how Democrats, who wield an almost unprecedented majority in their national government, have spent two impotent years trying to bridge the unbridgeable gap between themselves and a radicalized GOP. Obama gained the presidency on a message of hope, perhaps Democrats should start hoping he gets off the pot and gets to using the tools he has been given. I am all for fighting fair, but in a riot nobody notices "Marquis of Queensbury" etiquette.
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#4 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:12 AM

The last one adds up to wanting to depolarize Congress and end the political brinkmanship. There was a point where people of opposing parties talked to one another and settled gaps in ideology in a rational manner rather than just follow party lines in lock step. As long as corporate money is sponsoring our elections the divide is only going to get worse though. The lobbyists have overrun our Federal district, and the only way we as Americans can remove them is by grassroots law on the state level, one state at a time. We have to use the same tactics employed by the Prohibitionist and suffrage movements to gain our control back.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users