Photo

How to make a pocket layout with covers?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Holonovelist

Holonovelist

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

So, a few friends of mine have just finished the first episode in our fiction rping group and we are now about to create our first pdf. The questions stands, how does one make the document? We would like to make it as a pocket sized, with front and back covers. Now I am having trouble adding the covers (convering the whole page) in Word 2007.

Got any ideas, suggestions of how I can make this?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:41 AM

So, a few friends of mine have just finished the first episode in our fiction rping group and we are now about to create our first pdf. The questions stands, how does one make the document? We would like to make it as a pocket sized, with front and back covers. Now I am having trouble adding the covers (convering the whole page) in Word 2007.

Got any ideas, suggestions of how I can make this?

Congratulations! I've always thought that developing an RPG into a story format is a great idea - role-playing is very spontaneous and half the time you have no idea where your storyline is going to end up.

You'll have to give me some more information though for me to be specific. Do you want a pdf that can be read on a computer or something to printout so that you can create your own paperbacks?

On the one hand, with a bit of careful formatting, you can create a pdf that emulates the printed page on a computer screen. This was what we did with the eBooks that we published for the 2008 Twelve Trek days of Christmas. Have a look at the pdfs on Issuu from the links available on THIS THREAD. Some are made to emulate a hardback book and others to look like paperback.

On the other hand if you want to print them out and create your own paperbacks, this too can be done, using either no equipment or comparatively cheap 'home presses' like this.

... or is your problem that you simply want your cover graphic to appear to go right to the edge of your page in MSWord? This is called "Full-Bleed" as we did for the covers of our eBooks. let me know - that one is easy to fix.

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 Holonovelist

Holonovelist

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

Thank you, its quite fun actually. Although we have only managed to produce about 99 pages - pocket size - in the first episode.

Yes, problem is to create the pdf - to have the proper format (we write together in gdocs) to look as professional like this - example when its being "published". Obliviously we will never make a paperback of it but I was thinking making the pdf pocket-alike when you print it if you want it on paper.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I still have no idea of how to add those covers to Microsoft Word 2007 version.

// Regards

Kate

Edited by Holonovelist, 21 September 2010 - 05:54 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users