8 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:32 AM

Well? Was Deckard a replicant?

If you go off the original book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" I'm pretty sure that he wasn't (working from memory), but the movie, Blade Runner has taken on an existence that has by far outshadowed the book. I've recently come across an interesting link on io9...

A few precious pages from an early screenplay for Blade Runner have turned up online, and they're radically different than the version you saw on screen. They end with Deckard realizing he's a Replicant. Blade Runner went through many drafts on its way to the screen, and that's not even counting the last-minute revisions that added a new voiceover. For years now, we've had the July 24, 1980 version by Hampton Fancher, and the February 23, 1981 revision by Fancher and David Peoples. (Fancher didn't want to make some of the changes director Ridley Scott kept insisting on, so Scott brought in Peoples to do them.)

But now another Fancher draft has surfaced at GameOfTheArt.com, and it's dated December 22, 1980. (It appears to be genuine, but as always, you never know.) If it's real, this might be Fancher's last stab at the screenplay before he handed it over to Peoples. Also, there are a few pages of cool-looking storyboards, and here are a few images from them.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbKSr3vb32U"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BbKSr3vb32U[/url]

Does it make me think any different about the movie? Maybe it should - I'm going to watch it again - but its more important for what could be done as a sequel. You doubt there will be one? Just wait until Hollywood starts getting short on ideas again!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 dsgtdave

dsgtdave

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Ah the movie that has lent a hand to so many others. No I don't think he was a replicant. If it spawned an interest to re-watch that is good. This movie is always worth a re-watch. I would be down with a sequel given it was written and directed accordingly.

#3 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:42 AM

Ah the movie that has lent a hand to so many others. No I don't think he was a replicant. If it spawned an interest to re-watch that is good. This movie is always worth a re-watch. I would be down with a sequel given it was written and directed accordingly.

Your wish is Hollywood's command!...

Ridley Scott To Direct New 'Blade Runner' Installment For Alcon Entertainment

EXCLUSIVE: After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film from the past. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He'll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side. They got control of the franchise earlier this year, but it's a whole different ballgame with Scott at the helm.

Read

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#4 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

The new BR could be fantastic or a disaster, depending. But the director's cut dropped pretty strong hints to Deckard being a replicant too.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#5 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

I've watched around one hour of the movie. I'm also reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" . I like it.

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:52 AM

I've watched around one hour of the movie. I'm also reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" . I like it.

Its been years since I read the book but I remember that it is totally different from the movie - a classic in its own right but the movie was entirely different so I had to consider them two seperate works.

Bladerunnner was a classic because it merged the detective thriller movies of the the 1950's - like "The Maltese Falcon" with Humfrey Bogart - with sci fi. It was dark and "gritty" whilst at the same time having a beautiful style and art direction.

K

Posted Image

#7 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

Its been years since I read the book but I remember that it is totally different from the movie - a classic in its own right but the movie was entirely different so I had to consider them two seperate works.

You're right. But i just didn't like Harrison Ford's acting.

#8 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

I do like the old Blad Runner. I like the Directors Cut the best. Never did like the voice talking about what is going on. But, I am not sure what the new movie would be like. It is already 2012 and we really cannot go to the year 2018. Maybe, some time after 2101 would be best. I am sure they are not going to talk about the problem with the acid rain being so bad you need protection like the movie that came out in the early 1980's.

#9 Breachwood

Breachwood

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think a new movie would be damaging. It had a great ending because it left you guessing and gave such a good topic of conversation!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users