218 replies to this topic

#201 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

Now who's up for another tennis story?

Eh, I suppose I could, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

As uncreative as it is, I'm still tempted to another contest that somehow involves the leftover pics from this one, cause there were a lot of good ones that never got used, and I'm also a little disappointed that none of mine ended up being used.

Of course, it's all up to what the majority wants to do.

#202 tish

tish

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

I thought you had a difficult decision, RC. All of the submissions were very good, and took unique aspects and perceptions from the pictures. It was a wonderful writing adventure for me, as I have not done a visual prompt story in over 20 years. You did a great job with your judging!

I like the picture prompts, EE, however, I will be very busy the next 6 weeks and probably will not submit, therefore, I will defer to others' opinions.
TUCKER: Malcolm? REED: I see it. TUCKER: Good. Means I'm not hallucinating. How can a ship be bigger on the inside than the outside? REED: It could be a hologram. TUCKER: Hand me that hyperspanner. (drops it down the hole - it hits bottom after two seconds) REED: You're not going down there? TUCKER: Got to get my spanner back.

#203 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

Tennis?

And, yes, it was the bridge to the afterlife -- the mixing of chemicals, etc. is that the artist has somehow caused his/her own death.

Always up for more writing.

Honk if you love silence.

Published author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Untrustworthy-medium.jpg    banner-ezri.jpg

#204 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

As uncreative as it is, I'm still tempted to another contest that somehow involves the leftover pics from this one, cause there were a lot of good ones that never got used, and I'm also a little disappointed that none of mine ended up being used.

There are a lot of good pictures left, but there are some bleh ones too (no offense to anyone) and I don't want to chance my luck on one of the pictures I don't like.

Tennis?

This was the tennis story we did in a previous contest. In essence we all write one story, we just write it together. Once one person does their part, the ball is in the next writer's court, so to speak (and to extend the metaphor) and we finish with one complete story composed Frankenstein-like from many horrible parts. I mean, good parts.
It doesn't have to be fantasy. New contest, new rules. I'm simply proposing the idea, which personally I like because I had to judge the last one and couldn't participate.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#205 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

There are a lot of good pictures left, but there are some bleh ones too (no offense to anyone) and I don't want to chance my luck on one of the pictures I don't like.

I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure there are enough for us to still have mulligans.

#206 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Ah, veddy interesting re the tennis story. Thank you for explainerizing that.

#207 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:37 AM

I guess we should put things to a vote. Apoca is for a tennis story, and I'm form more purdy pictures, but I'm not sure where anyone else stands.

For the record, we can also consider other ideas; I just mention those because they're the only ones on the table at present.

#208 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

I love tennis stories. I love being apart of something that goes in unexpected directions.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#209 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

I have an idea, which I admit is wacky and might not work too well.

Let's say the judge (or the participants) comes up with ten or a dozen song titles.

New, old, pop, jazz, reggae, opera, traditional, country, rap, instrumental, one-word title, love song, dirge, translated from the Croatian original, kids' favorite -- it doesn't matter.

Then the participants pick one of the titles. This will be the title of their piece. It might even be interesting if the writers can pick anything, so that there can be duplicates -- to see which directions people take.

The lyrics, artist, video, etc. do not matter and, I'd say, it's better if the writer doesn't know the work at all..

Essentially, this is a vehicle for creating a short story based upon a provided title, but the hook (ha!) is the song title. I love song titles, not only because I love music, but also because I feel that they often have to pack a good punch into a small package, so they can be good, er, vehicles.

#210 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

We did something similar to this once where contestants did stories based upon a song of their choosing. Just basing it on the titles and not the songs seems a little strange, but I suppose it could work.

#211 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

It could provided everyone pick some good song titles. I better not be seeing anything like "Rock and Roll" or something simple.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#212 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

Well, if people wanted to trust me (or whoever would be in charge of it), heh, I could grab a dozen song titles off my iTunes. Heck, I can ask a friend about making them into a downloadable playlist if anyone was interested ....

Plus I swear they would not all be love songs.

#213 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

Well how about a tennis story that starts based on one of the pics?

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#214 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

I want to contribute some too. I know some bands with some pretty good tune names.
-The Tick

#215 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

lol posted before reading.
songs are cool.

-Doctor-

Posted Image

#216 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

Well I'll still go for a tennis story.
And yeah, I had to dash off somewhere and posted hastily.
-The Tick

#217 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

Well how about a tennis story that starts based on one of the pics?

Some combination of the pics and a tennis story is an idea I had. Picking only one picture we all agree upon might be difficult, and using multiple pictures in some manner might make an already crazy format completely insane, but if we can get it to work, I'd like to try it.

I want to contribute some too. I know some bands with some pretty good tune names.

Same. Say what you will about Metric's music, but if the phrase "Help, I'm Alive" doesn't inspire you to write, I don't know what will.

#218 jespah

jespah

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:11 AM

I would love to be turned onto some new tuneage of course.

#219 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

So what're we gonna do? I may not be overly fond of another tennis story, but it's better than nothing at all. I'm also willing to try the song title idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users