I gots a question

6 replies to this topic

#1 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

Perhaps my memory has failed me, but I seem to recall someone saying (long ago) that all the posts here are legally considered the property of TrekUnited. Does anyone know if this is the case?

The reason I ask is about my writing contest entries. I have written very little short fiction, and even less that's good enough to be worth submitting to publications. It would be nice if I could use my contest entries for this purpose. But whilst I cannot imagine anyone from TU attempting to claim ownership over them if I did, it does seem very foolish to go around trying to publish stuff I don't actually own. So it would be good to know if I do actually own them.

Anyone know the answer to this or have any thoughts?

Ah, the joys of copyright law and the interwebz.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 trekzone

trekzone

Commodore

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

my limited understanding is that all posts are the work of their author. i think.

I'm pretty sure TU has a disclaimer that would state that they do not represent or condone written comments...

Not 100% sure though..

#3 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

Messages on this board should not be considered as "official" and should not be taken to represent TrekUnited, Inc., TrekUnited, or Save Enterprise in any way unless it is explicitly stated as an official release or announcement from a member of the TrekUnited Executive Staff.

I would think that would answer your question EE.

Publishing an article or story in HFO or in a official newsletter would be different.
As an author you are owner of your works.
Posting your work on TU would be for the benefit of other members enjoyment.

I would think we would need to update and amend that for more clarity and to reflect the changes of the site since its inception.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#4 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

All published works posted here are are property of there authors, unless the auhtor of said publications has specificly given Trekunited complete rights to there work.

Basically, what Bill said.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Associate Producer of Star Trek: Renegades, Coming soon!!

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#5 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Cool, thanks guys.

Now where did I get the idea you owned all posts?

#6 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Actually if you reveal your RL alias in your profile in the US that can be used as a "poor man's patent" establishing it as your work. That is one reason I'm so picky about if people quote articles from other blogs or websites that they cite the owners, or better yet, link them.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Good to know. I did put my real name on a lot of those entries.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users