• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

Searching for the latest Star Trek book releases for last month's eZine was interesting so this month I've extended my search a little and I thought I'd give you the results as a post in its own thread. Feel free to make your own comments about the books,

Key to links:
TCSL - The Complete Starfleet Library by Steve Roby Highly recommended!
PB - Pocket Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster
A - Abrams
H - JH Haynes & Co Ltd

Books released Aug 9 - Sep 13

Posted Image
"What's Past" (Star Trek: Corps of Engineers) by various
Published by Pocket Books as a Trade Paperback, released 01/08/10 TCSL PB

Posted Image
"Star Trek" (Movie Tie-In) by Alan Dean Foster
Published by Pocket Books as a Mass Market Paperback, Compact Disk, eBook, released 01/09/10 TCSL PB

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5K059CYeM0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=s5K059CYeM0[/url]

"Star Trek: The Original Series 365" by Paula M. Block and Terry J. Erdmann,
Published by Abrams as a nonfiction Hardcover, released 01/09/10 TCSL A

Posted Image
"The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 1" by Greg Cox
Published by Pocket Books as a Trade Paperback, eBook, released 01/09/10 PB
I'm assuming that this is in the Pocket Books release schedule as an eBook since they no longer have it available in hardcopy. It was originally published in 2001-2 along with the audiobooks for both volumes.

Available next month!

Posted Image
"U.S.S. Enterprise Manual (Haynes Owners' Workshop Manual)" by Ben Robinson and Marcus Riley
Published by Haynes as a Trade Paperback, nonfiction, to be released Oct 2010 TCSL H

Posted Image
Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman
Published by Pocket Books 16/09/10 as a Trade Paperback[?] PB
Confusion here! Friedman's author page has an update that this is to be released as a Trade paperback but the paperback webpage shows it as currently unavailable (as is the audio book) although the eBook is. We'll see if this changes on the 16th.

Posted Image
Nightshade by Laurell K. Hamilton
To be released by Pocket Books 22/09/10 as an eBook, Star Trek: The Next Generation, TCSL PB
Yes, that Laurell K. Hamilton! One of my daughter's favourite authors! Roby has it marked as a reprint but I think it is actually in the release schedule as an eBook release.

Posted Image
"Zero Sum Game" by David Mack
To be released by Pocket Books 26/10/10 as a Mass Market Paperback, eBook, Star Trek: Typhon Pact No.1 TCSL PB

Have fun reading and don't forget to post your reviews and recommendations!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

I am really looking forward to the Enterprise manual.:thumbsup:

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#3 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

I am really looking forward to the Enterprise manual.:thumbsup:

Thinking of putting NOS on the Connie, Bill?:thumbup: I've read the Eugenics War and Crossover and they were both rewarding in different ways

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#4 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

I just got the SCE "What's Past" book of shorts. I haven't started them yet, but I'm really looking forward to dipping my toes into these stories before I begin the Vanguard series...

#5 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

I am not, absolutely not, a fan of David Mack. There are folks on this site that write better ... much better. If you're going to pick up that book, check it out when you can get it free. Don't waste your hard earned cash. However, the library sounds incredible!
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

I am not, absolutely not, a fan of David Mack. There are folks on this site that write better ... much better. If you're going to pick up that book, check it out when you can get it free. Don't waste your hard earned cash. However, the library sounds incredible!

I take it you don't like his writing? :innocent:

I must admit to being a reader of the older, TOS classics so I haven't read anything of his, but I must admit to being tempted by "The Sorrows of Empire" - the concept sounds fascinating. What exactly turns you off him?

K

Posted Image

#7 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

He is inconsistent with character makeup

He takes liberties in adding phlox to the timeline

He refers to established characters (ie. Spock, Kirk) and give them characteristics they never had or would ever have .... and does the same with entire established species

His male characters are always the weak beings with no moral or ethical values

It would be as if I were describing the Romulans as being a tiny, furry, bunnies - cutest and gentlest of all beings - who originated from Kremin in the Gamma quadrant. I'm sure you'd be like, "uh, no, that's not that Romulan empire as we know it - and Kremin is in the Delta quadrant you idiot" Yes, one renegade or mutation, but not the entire empire and at least get your facts straight. It goes against established species development and changes the universe as we know it.

(not like it's real or anything .... just that consistency is truly paramount to ST) *steps down from soap box - unharmed*
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#8 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

He is inconsistent with character makeup

He takes liberties in adding phlox to the timeline

He refers to established characters (ie. Spock, Kirk) and give them characteristics they never had or would ever have .... and does the same with entire established species

His male characters are always the weak beings with no moral or ethical values

It would be as if I were describing the Romulans as being a tiny, furry, bunnies - cutest and gentlest of all beings - who originated from Kremin in the Gamma quadrant. I'm sure you'd be like, "uh, no, that's not that Romulan empire as we know it - and Kremin is in the Delta quadrant you idiot" Yes, one renegade or mutation, but not the entire empire and at least get your facts straight. It goes against established species development and changes the universe as we know it.

(not like it's real or anything .... just that consistency is truly paramount to ST) *steps down from soap box - unharmed*

Sounds like the basic mistakes that some fan fiction writers make! canon crimes and character rape!

K

Posted Image

#9 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Ok. I'm busy. I should be flashing around the interwebs looking for material for the next eZine. But I had to post this book trailer...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyO2k-jApng"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MyO2k-jApng[/url]

Brought to you by the publishers of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

:roflmao:

Posted Image

#10 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

Once again I'm putting together some content for an edition of the eZine so here are the fruits of my research on Star Trek books released last month, May, or due for release next month. Feel free to make your own comments about the books,

Key to links:
TCSL - The Complete Starfleet Library by Steve Roby Highly recommended!
MB - Memory Beta
PB - Pocket Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster

Posted Image Released in May, 2011

9/11 in Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek: Enterprise: How 9/11 Influenced These Sci-Fi Shows
Kück, Reinhard, published by Createspace
TCSL

Children of the Storm
Released May 31
Beyer, Kirsten, published by Pocket
TCSL, MB, PB

Star Wars vs Star Trek: Could the Empire Kick the Federation's Ass? And Other Galaxy-Shaking Enigmas
Forbeck, Matt, published by Adams
TCSL

Posted Image Due for release in June, 2011

Unspoken Truth
Released June 11!
Margaret Wander Bonanno, published by Pocket Books
PB
From an author of classic Original Series novels, this engaging insight into an underused character is gathering good reviews so far. The survivors of a failed Romulan experiment, left to die as children, are being killed but is it by the Romulans or the Vulcans? Only one survivor of Hellguard can find out - Saavik!

Declassified
To be released June 28
Ward, Dayton, Kevin Dilmore, Marco Palmieri, and David Mack, published by Pocket Books
TCSL, MB, PB

The Gemini Agent
Barba, Rick, published by Simon Spotlight
TCSL, MB, PB

Star Trek: Movie Omnibus
Wolfman, Marv, Mike W. Barr, and Andy Schmidt, published by IDW
TCSL, MB

K

Posted Image

#11 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

I buy this books:Enterprise manual and "Star Trek: Corps of Engineers".Too me very interesting "The Eugenics Wars"
More me interesting book "Children of the Storm",because this book about ship "Voyager" and captain Janeway.
Book about Eugenics Wars me will be interesting read,because in series small was show about 3-world war.Hope,what in book will be give answer on this quastion.

#12 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

More me interesting book "Children of the Storm",because this book about ship "Voyager" and captain Janeway.

I hate to disappoint you Martok but Pocket Books have killed off Janeway as a character since 2007 in Peter David's book "Before Dishonor" - overall a very unpopular decision, but as someone has pointed out, what happens in books makes no difference to TV and movie canon: she could still come back say in a movie.

I've read the Eugenics Wars books and found them very clever - you'll like them!

K

Posted Image

#13 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

Posted Image

Star Trek: Vanguard: Declassified has now been released according to The Star Trek Books Community...

No longer Classified, the next book in the ongoing Vanguard series is now out. Titled Declassified, it is the first novella in the series that brings Dayton Ward, Kevin Dillmore and David Mack together for the first time writing the series. It is also the writing debut of our former editor Marco Palmieri

Cheers

K

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users