14 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

What was HFO?
Hailing Frequencies Open was the high quality magazine created by TrekUnited members for the organisation between June 2005 and January 2008.

It was before its time in the way that the staff aimed at re-creating professional level content, production and visual impact in an amateur publication. Whilst every member of a group endeavour deserves a share of the credit for its success, in this case four names leap out as the major driving forces whose work made HFO the success what it was: "Admiral Rooster" (Richard Anderson), Joanna Poe, Debbie Elholm and Barb Betts

It was lack of support which finally put HFO into an extended hiatus. At different times there have been suggestions that we re-boot the magazine but that situation has not changed, in fact TrekUnited has even fewer resources to recreate the magazine we once had.

What Should it be today?:
TrekUnited is at a milestone in its history. Recently the forum was sold and the new owners, whilst making very few requirements of us, are in the process of expanding their own membership base. TrekUnited is being asked to simply welcome new members, something we have always been happy to do, and provide them with an online home within which they can explore the Star Trek fan experience. Nothing could be more appropriate for this forum which has always been a neutral meeting ground for Star Trek fans, with a network of friends throughout Trek fandom that stretches far beyond our own membership base.

There is a broad range of possible projects that we could strike up that would show the strengths of our forum, but we are restricted by lack of manpower.

What is needed is something that is
...High impact
...Low maintenance
...Provides something of interest to our existing and new membership
...Provides a service to readers in Trek fandom outside our membership

The Pitch:
From next month TrekUnited will be taking Hailing Frequencies Open in a whole new direction – a different media and a different scope of content. Since we don't have the resources to field a pdf magazine - each issue with a different graphic theme and custom written content - we have put together a simple but effective html newsletter that will utilise the content that we have right here on the forum!

Why struggle to come up with competitions, news and comment on professional and fanmade Star Trek productions, contact with people and groups all over the world, when we have a whole forum that is doing that already? Our publication should reflect our strengths.

In effect,the whole of the membership becomes our writing pool and every forum post is a potential subject! My hope is that this will encourage the large percentage of our members who do not post to do more by giving their work wider coverage. Every month we will be sending out a newsletter that will be a formatted summary of the very best of the posts, discussions and general mayhem that makes TrekUnited the friendly forum that it is!

Watch this space for more news!

Kirok of L'Stok

Editor, Hailing Frequencies Open

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

*jumps up and down clapping!*

#3 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

Souds like a good idea...

#4 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Indeed!
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#5 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

The Medium:
One major consideration in all this is that we are not on our own in the publishing stakes here any more! The Federation has put a lot of effort into creating their own quarterly, graphic-intensive, pdf printzine, "Voyages". Have a look at their first, Summer issue HERE. It's good and deserves to prosper.

This reduces our options. Sure, we'd like to get HFO flying again, but in its past configuration we would only be creating competition for Voyages by covering the same scope and competing for the same contributors & audience. If HFO were to be successful it could only be at the expense of Voyages - more likely neither would prosper from such a situation.

The only way both publications - HFO & Voyages - can co-exist is if they are different animals altogether. The most polar opposite of the seasonal, glossy, Voyages would be for HFO to be either weekly or monthly and a different medium and we have settled on an ezine newsletter that is sent out to members, something like the Roddenberry Transmitter although I'm sure we've all seen dozens of others.

Html newsletters, ezines, have a number of distinct advantages. They can be as fancy as you like, with high impact graphics, formatting and content - basically they are a web page in an email! They can be a great information and publicity tool, highly targeted, with hyperlinks that will take the reader directly to more indepth material that you can have lodged on the internet. It is this very fact though that has made them overused as an advertising tool to the extent that all email clients have settings whereby you can choose not to allow graphics to be automatically shown and many html newsletters are classified automatically as "spam".

Using html email as our distribution medium could be taking a chance, but the advantages make this worthwhile. We just need to gain the confidence of our readership that the graphic content is worth the download, that we are certified virus free and that, if you set your email not to accept graphics, it can still be received as plain text.

The Target Audience:
You can't hope to design something unless you know who your target audience is so, who would we expect to be interested in this publication?

Trek United Membership.
Whilst the membership numbers look impressive, the number of active members of the forum has dropped drastically. We have three needs: the return of old members, retaining the members we have and the recruitment of new members. An ezine sent to our member list will target those dormant members and hopefully re-ignite their interest, show our currently active members that appreciate their efforts and pique the interest of outside readers so that they will want to join in!

The Federation Membership.
Just telling the membership of The Federation that we are here as their official forum hasn't resulted in any great number off new posters. By making the ezine available to their membership, especially if we show that we respect and support their own groups and goals, hopefully they will interact more.

General Star Trek fans.
By carrying fan production news headlines, unavailable in one free publication, delivered for free to their inbox, we place ourselves in a totally unexplored territory.

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

The Regular Sections:
These are the regular sections of the newsletter – the "bread and butter" of the publication – to which could be added special announcements, interviews, etc. - are...

The Major subdivisions of the TrekUnited forum.

The Bridge for admin news and general forums, Get Involved! with its focus on fan production and activity. Star Trek, the reason why we are all here! TrekUnited International with its regional web forums and ScifiUnited where members can follow their interests in the wider world of science fiction and fantasy.

The Federation

As it stands, this is starting up as an open section of news from The Federation but it could feature a shout out from ships or GEOs as to what they are doing, events, launches or even just the fact that they are there! Beyond the restrictions of the law, journalistic ethics and aesthetics (sorry, but purple KlingonBlade font just wouldn't work!) this section is entirely open to Federation management.

Star Trek News

This is exactly what it says: headlines of news about what is happening in the world of Star Trek fandom. Our scope here is entirely dependent on our news resources - the people and websites who agree to allow us to tap them for news. Luckily, over the years, we have made friendly contact with many experts in their fields and in our first edition we have contributions from (alphabetically)...

The public should not see this as saying that websites or groups not listed are not as good, simply that these are friends whose opinions we trust and heartily recommend. Contributions are actively being sought and every effort will always be made to highlight sources to our readers. We don't just want our readers to get the news but to know where we got it from so that they can expand their fan experience!

Posted Image

#7 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Mission Statement:
By itself, the eZine is not much, but seen as part of a network of participating people and organisations Hailing Frequencies Open is just the tip of an iceberg!
  • We will always strive to celebrate the diversity, interests and accomplishments of our members and Star Trek fans in general.
  • Members who haven't visited for a while should see the ezine as an open invitation to wake up their Star Trek fandom again.
  • As the official forum of The Federation, news from individual clubs and GEOs will always be welcomed
  • We offer our news reporting as a service to our fellow fans outside TrekUnited and The Federation in keeping with our long-standing advocacy on behalf of Star Trek fandom
  • Our Star Trek news reporting relies to a large extent on our news resources and we will always strive to give full credit where it is due
  • We fully support and endorse Voyages as a quality, professional level publication
Conclusion:
Very few successful publications are the work of a "one-man-band" because the more involvement you get from different individuals, the more individual the publication! In our case, the more input we get could be translated into either less work for everyone or more content of higher quality for the 'zine.

As an editor I believe we not only have a good chance of being successful but could push the envelope in a number of new directions and because we are starting at a comfortable, base level, the potential for future expansion is extremely high. What I take away from working on a fan production is not just a feeling of fulfillment, knowing that I have created something worthwhile, but also that I have gained valuable experience as a writer and editor. I hope you will join me so that you will likewise be empowered!

I hope you will read it and enjoy Hailing Frequencies Open. I hope it will stimulate and encourage your involvement of the TrekUnited forums and our contributing news resources. I hope it will renew your faith in the fellowship of Star Trek fandom.

Regards

Kirok of L'Stok
Editor, Hailing Frequencies Open

Posted Image

#8 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

...and today's the day!

With any luck all member's should receive a copy of Hailing Frequencies Open through their registered email address. If anyone has problems with how it displays please either PM me or post it on here noting the name of your email client (eg Thunderbird, Outlook...) and, if viewing online by webmail, your browser (eg Yahoo, Googlemail...).

Fingers crossed! (which makes typing devilishly hard!)

K

Posted Image

#9 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

...and today's the day!

With any luck all member's should receive a copy of Hailing Frequencies Open through their registered email address. If anyone has problems with how it displays please either PM me or post it on here noting the name of your email client (eg Thunderbird, Outlook...) and, if viewing online by webmail, your browser (eg Yahoo, Googlemail...).

Fingers crossed! (which makes typing devilishly hard!)

K

Fingers crossed for you. I only use two to type anyway.:thumbsup:

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#10 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

I will be sending it out tonight to all forum members, this is the first time doing this one so hopefully it goes ok.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#11 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

HFO has been mailed out. If did not get it (within the next couple hours or so) or you are a guest you can see the newsletter here:

http://www.trekunited.com/HFO/1/

#12 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

HFO has been mailed out. If did not get it (within the next couple hours or so) or you are a guest you can see the newsletter here:

http://www.trekunited.com/HFO/1/

:blush:

Quel embarrasment! I didn't get one! I have "Subscribe to TrekUnited HFO?" tagged as yes on the bottom of my "Change Profile Information" page of my profile.

:unsure:

Was it something I said?

K

Posted Image

#13 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

I could be wrong. However I believe Tom did the mailing to the entire TU memberlist not the HFO subscription list.

I got mine anyway.:thumbsup:

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#14 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

I did not use that forum option (forgot it was was there actually) I just sent it to all the email addresses in the forum database using a seperate newsletter program. I did weed out some know dead addresses, but yours should have been in there Kirok. I will have to check. Besides, that old forum check box was for the old HFO so i don't know how reliable it was. I put my email address on the list in the beginning, middle and end and got all three, that is how I make sure the whole list got sent out by putting those 'checkpoints' in there.

#15 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

That is some great work guys :thumbsup:
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users