poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hey its a thread!
About Webcomics!

My brother emailed me this one yesterday:
Bean. It kinda has a Chronicles of Prydain feel. The art is quality even if the updates aren't regular.

Meanwhile, in some other recess of internet creativity, The Order of Tales has completed its two year journey. While this story lacked some of the psychedelic elements of Evan's previous work, Rice Boy, it did create a satisfying epic tale that delved into the worth and meaning of story and legend. I liked Teller Koark. He was a more traditional hero. The fact that he had arms and thus the ability to swing a sword didn't hurt. :lol:

Evan's next project is titled Vattu. The teaser image is gorgeous. I look forward to another tightly woven narrative filled with adventure and refreshingly unpretentious symbolism.

Edited by poko, 18 July 2010 - 02:38 PM.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

Um, I believe the other thread is called the comic book thread.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#3 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Um, I believe the other thread is called the comic book thread.

And often, a good webcomic also has sales of physical books. Sometimes even in stores... or the artist does both a webcomic and stuff for Dark Horse, or the comic book creator has moved some of their back comics online. There is a lot of grey area, is all I'm saying.

Evan Dahm's books are well worth buying.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#4 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

I tried Riceboy and was not intrigued enough to return. I even spent many hours reading because I was like "If I leave I'm not going to take the time to come back and Clark and poko seem to like this thing so I'm trying to give it a good chance."
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#5 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:18 AM

I tend to be drawn by the art, the look of a webcomic, first and then to its content. They can be a damned nuisance too - soaking up hours flicking through from the start.

K

PS - Just saw my banner [which at the time was set to "Ensign Sue Must Die"] after posting this - Yes, I have a weakness for the less-than-subtle

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:44 AM

Uh, perhaps as experts you guys might be able to tell me why, when I followed Cracked.com's link to the funniest webcomic, I lobbed on to a webcomic site that didn't have a webcomic? Or has the pedal powered 'puta slipped a cog again?

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#7 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:55 AM

Wasted a pleasant hour browsing Penny Arcade after finding THIS strip.

K

Posted Image

#8 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

Wasted Spent another pleasant few hours clicking through Blip - not sure how I'd describe it, umm female centric without being fluffy bunnies? That's an understatement! Definately not PG3! The only drawback I can see is that after four years it still hasn't closed off any story arcs. The Lady Belfear will love this one!

K

PS the animations are a neat twist too

Posted Image

#9 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

I have got to stop clicking links!!!!

DarkBrain Comics doesn't get many Brownie points for their content, which after an admittedly cursory check is all adult content and looks a might shallow, but how they've presented their comics is fascinating! The technology is probably pretty simple but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else. First off, you get to choose either with audio or without - like the blurb says, you've got to try the audio version at least once! The trick is that when you click on one of their comics, the panels come on one at a time with the speech bubbles coming on in sequence accompanied by an impressively professional narration, sound effects and original music.

I'm not sure how much value this is - is it me or does it seem a bit slow paced? - but it certainly pushes the envelope in terms of exploring the possibilities of the medium.

K

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users