George Steinbrenner Dies At Age 80

4 replies to this topic

#1 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

George Steinbrenner died Tuesday morning, a person close to the longtime New York Yankees owner told The Associated Press.

WABC-TV in New York reported that Steinbrenner, the Yankees' owner since 1973, suffered a massive heart attack.

According to reports, Steinbrenner, who celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4, was taken to a Tampa hospital after emergency crews responded to his home Monday night.

Full article.

Love him or hate him, love or hate the Yankees, the man is a baseball icon who has done a lot for the sport and for the New York Yankees and never failed to give baseball fans something to talk about.

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

*doffs cap..hangs head..*

I'm pretty sure he's wearing pinstripes in the afterlife. So long, Boss...Farewell...
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#3 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Heard this around 9 this morning. Baseball will surely miss someone who was so very passionate about the sport. Love him or hate him, he put his team, fans, and baseball first. Wish his kids were like him in that regard.....

The boss will be missed.
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#4 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

I have never been a fan of the loud, boisterous, my-way-or-the-highway owner of the Yankees, but I really enjoyed hearing about some of his non-baseball activities - specifically, he did a lot of work with and gave a lot of money to charities. That's pretty cool in and of itself. But the thing that really grabbed me is that he shied away from any attention he could have gotten for his charity work. Rather than stepping up and waving and making a big fuss like a lot of celebrities and well-known people do, he preferred to stay back from the limelight and let his works speak (anonymously) for themselves. I wish more people would do that.

Posted Image

#5 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Yes, that was a side of him that surpirsed most people. I'm not sure a whole lot of folks outside of New England knew anything of Steinbrenner (past the ownership of the Yankees).
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users