• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

Scientists at the J. Craig Venter Institute have created a synthetic cell that can survive and reproduce itself according to an artificial DNA sequence, promising designer genomes with which researchers can produce sophisticated artificial organisms.

The new bacterial cell, "Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0," is the result of a 15-year, $30 million effort by genetics pioneer Craig Venter. The study, led by the institute's Dan Gibson, is reported in the May 21 edition of the journal Science.

Full Story
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I also read about this break through not long ago. It's very impressive.

#3 izoelfirman

izoelfirman

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hi Sevnson, nice pics that you have,where I can find it.

#4 sean1

sean1

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

Does anyone think this could turn into something bad,It may as well be alien .it is totally new to this world...

#5 Guest_Candy55_*

Guest_Candy55_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

What an awesome discovery! This is what science, technology, and brilliant minds can do.. but I do hope they use this for the benefit of mankind. I'm pretty sure religious groups would violently react to this.

Edited by Candy55, 09 November 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#6 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Oh moral puritans tend to react violenty to everything. I doubt this could ever be used for hacking biology. There's too much old garbage in the 'unused' portion of our genome. We'd be reactiving long forgotton retroviruses all over the place.

Maybe someday we'll have grow your own computer processor kits in walmart though. Bring it on I say.

Welcome to TU btw, Candy!

Edited by Schplee, 09 November 2010 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users