40th Anniversary of Apollo 13

4 replies to this topic

#1 Renderking Fisk

Renderking Fisk

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

I thought that this might be the best way to start this thread...

"April 8th, 2010 - 13 Things that Saved Apollo 13," - Written by Nancy Atkinson

Posted Image

On the night of April 13th, 1970, when the oxygen tank in Apollo 13's command module exploded, a 27-year-old engineer named Jerry Woodfill sat at his console in the Mission Evaluation Room at Johnson Space Center, monitoring the caution and warning system he helped create for the Apollo spacecraft.

"It was 9:08 pm, and I looked at the console because it flickered a few times and then I saw a master alarm come on," Woodfill said, talking from his office at JSC where he has worked for almost 45 years. "Initially I thought something was wrong with the alarm system or the instrumentation, but then I heard Jack Swigert in my headset: "Houston, we've had a problem," and then a few moments later, Jim Lovell said the same thing."

And so began the most perilous but eventually triumphant situation ever encountered in human spaceflight.

2010 is the 40th anniversary of Apollo 13, and Universe Today had the chance to talk with Woodfill about his role in Apollo 13, a mission which many believe should have ended fatally for astronauts Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Jack Swigert. But it didn't, and the mission has come to be called a "successful failure."

What things were responsible for that success – the overcoming of odds – to rescue of the crew?

What are your thoughts about the greatest rescue mission in space of all time?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

The movie was great! I'm too young to remember the real thing.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#3 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

Is the 19th the anniversary of the landing?

I think this was one of those defining historical moments. It shows us the true skill and adaptability of humankind, and that no matter how far we reach, we are prepared to tackle any eventuality.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#4 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

*Double take.* Did Apoca just say something positive about the human race?

#5 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

*Double take.* Did Apoca just say something positive about the human race?

I'm only cynical about the present and future of humanity.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users