#1 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:19 AM

??????????????????????

Hello,raptor,

Trekunited.com has been online for over 6 years now and has some of the finest members. We have members from around the globe on our site. I have been very proud of what is has both been in the past and where it currently is. Due to recent events, I have decided to sell Trekunited.com and Scifiunited.com together.

while it has become on of the best. largest and friendliest Trek sites online with over 700,000 post since its conception, it is time for me to move on. I have a lot of fond memories and made so many friends I cannot count them. We have both laughed and cried together. I will honestly miss it.

So here is the deal. I do not want to sell the site to someone that does not respect Star Trek and what we have built it up to be.. something for the fans. A place where everyone can come and relax and chat about Trek, Scifi and anything else they might want to chat about. That being said, I want to keep the site in the fans hands.

I announced that I was thinking about selling the site and received an offer of $2,500.00 right from the start. Then another counter offer for $5,000.00 was made and that is where it stands. As I said, rather than selling it to someone else, I want you guys to have a shot at buying the site from me. I want to keep it with YOU and the love of trek.

if you are interested in buying both sites, please email me at coexec@gmail.com asap and we can chat about it in more detail. I know we have a lot of members that are not on other Trek sites at Trekunited.

If you need more information, please let me know. I will be more than happy to help in anyway I can. Also, I do want to do this as soon as possible. If someone makes the purchase, I will give you 30 days to move it to your new server once the it has been paid for.

The others that have made offers are on the site now and have been for some time. So I would not think anything would change with the exception of me being the owner. Also, I will also include the Trekunited.com store at CafePress and we normally generate around 2000.00 per year from ad revenue and that is without pushing any ads on the site other than what you have seen. You could make your investment back in a year or so and still be pulling in revenue for years to come. Paramount and other studios have paid us to promote their movies as well as sending out email promotions at $1,200.00 each time.

I wish you all the best, but it is time for me to bow out and move on.

Sincerely,
Tim Brazeal

coexec@gmail.com

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:30 AM

Sounds like a scam attempt to me, from unknown origins.

Edited by John Doe, 19 March 2010 - 04:35 AM.

Without trying to sound egotistical... (...) I have my own ideas and aspirations which were countlessly shot down in the past. I've no interest in being in that position again.

#3 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, it sounds like a scam.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#4 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:40 AM

Some words from Tom or Bill would be helpful.

#5 AdyCarter

AdyCarter

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hello,AdyCarter,

Trekunited.com has been online for over 6 years now and has some of the finest members. We have members from around the globe on our site. I have been very proud of what is has both been in the past and where it currently is. Due to recent events, I have decided to sell Trekunited.com and Scifiunited.com together.

while it has become on of the best. largest and friendliest Trek sites online with over 700,000 post since its conception, it is time for me to move on. I have a lot of fond memories and made so many friends I cannot count them. We have both laughed and cried together. I will honestly miss it.

So here is the deal. I do not want to sell the site to someone that does not respect Star Trek and what we have built it up to be.. something for the fans. A place where everyone can come and relax and chat about Trek, Scifi and anything else they might want to chat about. That being said, I want to keep the site in the fans hands.

I announced that I was thinking about selling the site and received an offer of $2,500.00 right from the start. Then another counter offer for $5,000.00 was made and that is where it stands. As I said, rather than selling it to someone else, I want you guys to have a shot at buying the site from me. I want to keep it with YOU and the love of trek.

if you are interested in buying both sites, please email me at coexec@gmail.com asap and we can chat about it in more detail. I know we have a lot of members that are not on other Trek sites at Trekunited.

If you need more information, please let me know. I will be more than happy to help in anyway I can. Also, I do want to do this as soon as possible. If someone makes the purchase, I will give you 30 days to move it to your new server once the it has been paid for.

The others that have made offers are on the site now and have been for some time. So I would not think anything would change with the exception of me being the owner. Also, I will also include the Trekunited.com store at CafePress and we normally generate around 2000.00 per year from ad revenue and that is without pushing any ads on the site other than what you have seen. You could make your investment back in a year or so and still be pulling in revenue for years to come. Paramount and other studios have paid us to promote their movies as well as sending out email promotions at $1,200.00 each time.

I wish you all the best, but it is time for me to bow out and move on.

Sincerely,
Tim Brazeal

coexec@gmail.com

-------------------------------------
TrekUnited Forum Statistics:
Registered Users: 7235
Total Posts: 717499
Busiest Time: 678 users were online on Mar 17 2008 08:43 PM

Handy Links
Board Address: http://www.trekunite...unity/index.php
Lost Password Recovery: http://www.trekunite...ection=lostpass

How to unsubscribe
Visit your email preferences (http://www.trekunite...e&module=usercp) and ensure that the box for 'Send me any updates sent by the board administrator' is unchecked and submit the form

Definately a legit message via the board

#6 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

That will be coming up guys.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#7 Shodar

Shodar

Will Call Back Later

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

I don't know. If it's not a scam from somebody pretending to be Tim, it sounds like a scam from Tim. (don't lie, we all know he's capable of it)

He's got an offer of 5000 and he wants somebody here to give an higher offer.... for a site that probably loses money anyway.
Visit these links (and others that the forum won't let me post):
Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF

#8 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

Now this thing is really starting to worry me.

#9 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

As I said guys, hold out for the announce from Tom. Those guys were up late last night too and are older, they require more sleep :P Trust me there is something brewing regarding this, but it is going to be a COMMUNITY solution, not a singular one. I'm going to be working on the details with them today.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#10 AdyCarter

AdyCarter

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

edit: nvm

Edited by AdyCarter, 19 March 2010 - 06:52 AM.

#11 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

It is true, TU has been for sale for a few weeks. I wish Tim did not make such an impulsive message but he did.
Tom , Derek, Richard and myself have been in discussions trying to make some sort of formal agreement. Details are being worked on.
I don't have much more info than that at the moment. Will fill in everyone when we have more.

We are going to make every effort possible to ensure this site stays in the hands of the fans who created it.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#12 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

Here is what happened, after the failure of Fedconusa, Tim decided to pull away from his online life and concentrate on other carreer goals. He left Myself, Bill and Derek to run Trekunited, he still wanted to retain ownership of the domain name and keep it hosted on his server but was not involved with running the site. Recently Tim has fallen on some hard times (as a lot of us have these days) and wanted to sell Trekunited not just for the money but because he is really no longer involved with it. As mentioned, he recently had an offer (or 2?), but is reluctant because he is not sure what they would do to this place (make it a search portal? who knows). Tim wants to see this place run by Star Trek fans not a domain broker. Myself and Bill don't have that kind of money to buy Trekunited. I have offered some but it was not enough. Here is the way I see it:

A. The places stays as is still owned by Tim, possibly moving to a moving inexpensive host.

B. Either a group of us, or a member here, buys the site. It would still be moved to another host.

C. Tim sells the site to the place that made him an offer. It would be move to their host and who knows if they would keep it running as is, or wipe it out? If they do wipe out the site and use trekunited.com as a search portal, I have this entire website backed up, infact, I just backed it up again this morning. I can move this forum/site exactly as it is to a my host and the site would have a new name etc. If they contractualy aquired the data as well as just the domain name then legaly I could not do that and Trekunited as we now it, is dead or some how continued by them in whatever form.

I hope that clears some things up. i have no idea who has offered him what, but if he does indeed have a 5 grand offer he should sell it, thats my opinion anyways. My main concern if for the community here, for all of you, to keep the spirit of the principles of Trekunited alive and flourishing no matter what happens with this situation.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Associate Producer of Star Trek: Renegades, Coming soon!!

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#13 Shodar

Shodar

Will Call Back Later

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

A. If that's the money that is being offered, it sounds like they will take the data (woo, selling email addresses!) and/or change the site to something drastically different. There is no way a site with very minimal ads and no commercially viable content is making enough money to justify the selling price (if it was, I doubt Tim would be selling)

B. I suspect Tim might have shot himself in the foot (yet again) by opening his mouth (yet again) in one or more of the deals he is currently trying to get with regards to this site. Real business people do not spam random members with sale offers that include details of other offers.

Given these events, I'm just glad very little of my real info is attached to this site.
Visit these links (and others that the forum won't let me post):
Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF

#14 AdyCarter

AdyCarter

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Queue a mysterious company offering a lot of money, fans band together to counter this offer.
Months later it turns out there was no mysterious company!

#15 carolinsche

carolinsche

Her Highness in charge of ... lots of things

• Members
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

o_O
Boo!!

Is this the right way to do this? I'm not sure... :-(
The path of the Monk
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow. In fact, just bugger off and leave me alone.

C
ERTIFIED CONNORSEUR

European Recovery Group For Late Night Chats Gold Member

#16 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Queue a mysterious company offering a lot of money, fans band together to counter this offer.
Months later it turns out there was no mysterious company!

You know, you may be right, who knows. I have not see any of these offers myself and it could be tactic to boost the offer. If that were the case, and I was the one selling I would just say I can not accept anything more than X amount, case closed. I just say do what you need to do and get it done. Kinda fustrating for me because I am 'the other parent' and TU is like my child yet I have no rights or stakes in its owership. I do promise all of you that if this place does some how go down, I will create a new site for us all to carry on the 'trekunited' spirt.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Associate Producer of Star Trek: Renegades, Coming soon!!

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#17 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

Tom and I are in total agreement. In the event things don't work out we will make sure there is a new place to go.
5 years and a lot of great friends here, will not disappear.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#18 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

I don't see what on TrekUnited would be worth $5,000 in hard cash other than a highly-linked-to domain for shady SEO or the member database for spamming...so all of a sudden I'm wondering if I need to get a SpamGourmet address for my TU profile.

#19 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

*snip*

^^^Oh joy...they're baaaack! This is precisely what I was worried about if Tim went down this road.

I have also wondered what ever happened to the lists that we compiled while doing research and fundraising...lots and lots of info on companies etc. I have always wanted that deleted. I didn't work on that stuff for someone else to make money on.

Well, Tim...if you are reading this, I am also having a hard time. I've been unemployed for a long while and you know with 4 kids and all. You really need to let this site go...and for a reasonable price to US. You may have sponsored this site in the beginning, but we all know how it has evolved over the years. This place was something of a ghost town when the fedcon thing blew up and members here...not you...brought it back from the brink. I can tell you now, that if you sell the domain name to someone other than members here, I'll not be back and I won't be alone.

I encourage you to do the right thing by us. I know that you are hurting...we all are. I bet you haven't noticed the "Unemployment Line" thread here, now. Do us all a favor and deal with Tom, Bill and Derek et al...

-Trish

Oh,...I see that you deleted the troll...you can delete it from my post if you want, but maybe we should refresh the "How to deal with trolls"....???

Edited by WeatherManNX01, 19 March 2010 - 02:05 PM.
Editted the comment.

"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#20 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm not exactly jumping with joy today... But I tend to believe Tom's and Bill's intentions to keep this community in one or another form... and I intend to follow them if necessary...
This rash annoucement of Tim is not good for our membership...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users