• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#1 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

Things have been pretty slow all over the site and so I wanted to suggest a thing for us to do that might liven things up here.

Some ideas are just so good you have to be amazed at how smart you are, and some ideas are so good you just gotta steal them ... well, I ain't smart so I am stealing from the CBC again.

There is a thing they do on CBC Radio One called Canada Reads. It is a Hugely popular annual event where 5 Canadian "celebrities" each choose a book that the others read as well and then they have a debate over the merits of each book, voting them off one at a time until they reach that is the winner for the year. I am just throwing this out there, but would anyone else be interested in doing a similar thing here called TrekUnited Reads where we pick 5 Trek books that we have to champion in a similar process?

We would need six members (5 champions and one referee) who would be willing to commit to this enterprise. I know we all have lives out there beyond this little enclave of insanity, so I am suggesting that, if we were to do this, we get those willing to participate to announce their book title, then give everyone about 6-8 weeks to read all the books in the competition and then have a two week blowout where we debate the books in the forum.

Anyway, just me spitballing an idea .... let me know what you think?
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I suppose I'd be somewhat open to the idea. I'd suggest making it for more than Trek books, though. A lot of people here (myself included) aren't particularly fond of Trek books. Why not open it up to any sci-fi or fantasy book?

#3 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

How about any book?
Posted Image

#4 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

What they said. But mostly what Plaz said.

Edited by Apocalypse, 15 March 2010 - 04:29 PM.

Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#5 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

i LOVE this idea.

unless it's star trek or fantasy books :P let's try something of substance.
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#6 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Fantasy books can be "of substance." You are just biased.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

^What he said.

Also, if fantasy is left out, I'm definitely not participating (although it should be noted that I probably wouldn't participate anyway).

#8 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Oh, broaden your horizons a little. Pick up a book that doesn't have elves in it. :P
-The Tick

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

There's a slim chance I may be able to open my mind for something that features non-fantasy books. There's no way I could open my mind for something that excludes fantasy entirely.

#10 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Well, I just threw out the idea of Trek books because, oddly enough, this is a Trek site :P

I would say that I a pretty open to whatever genre of books anyone would like to champion. The only real limitation I would suggest is that the books in question be stand alone stories that aren't going to take forever to read (eg The Silmarillion, Ulysses, or other similarly weighty tomes), or "beaten to death" books like Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.

I would also suggest that if you are going to suggest a book that is part of a series, then you suggest the first book of the series only. At least that would allow for some exploration into popular series without everyone getting bogged down in the story arcs that tend to form after a few novels have gone by.

My Blog

#11 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Well, I just threw out the idea of Trek books because, oddly enough, this is a Trek site :P

And, as I always point out when the subject is broached, Trek is only the love that unites us. Trek is by far not my most favorite thing in the world. I like it, but there are sooo many things I like better. It brings us together, but it does not define us (well, not most of us, anyway... :err:).
-The Tick

#12 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

Good points are being stated in this thread.

That said, let's get this started. I also suggest we stick to relatively short works, so we can all manage them. Also works that are readily available (as much as I'd love to submit the Lensman series, that phlox is so long out of print that they have copies in museums).
Posted Image

#13 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

Haha! Time to make Clark read Animal Farm!
-The Tick

#14 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Oh damn... I did not foresee the implications of this...

I... um...

phlox.
Posted Image

#15 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Good points are being stated in this thread.

That said, let's get this started. I also suggest we stick to relatively short works, so we can all manage them. Also works that are readily available (as much as I'd love to submit the Lensman series, that phlox is so long out of print that they have copies in museums).

I would have the same problem suggesting any Harlan Ellison ... you have a better chance of playing pick-up-sticks with your bumcheeks than finding anything he wrote in a Chapters or Barnes&Noble :P

My Blog

#16 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have lots of good ideas for nonfiction stuff, but i'm totally open to doing fiction too. however, the more science-fiction/fantasy-ish it is, the less likely i'm going to be enthused about it.
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#17 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

If we want to be Draconian we could stick to open source, which would guarantee we could all read them for free.
Posted Image

#18 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Or how about anything available at the library?
-The Tick

#19 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

There's a slim chance I may be able to open my mind for something that features non-fantasy books. There's no way I could open my mind for something that excludes fantasy entirely.

EE - if you want to be an excellent writer, you MUST open yourself to non-fantasy books. Good authors have read, and continue to read, all types of books which is what makes them excellent writers.

I have lots of good ideas for nonfiction stuff, but i'm totally open to doing fiction too. however, the more science-fiction/fantasy-ish it is, the less likely i'm going to be enthused about it.

Suggestion then, why not have a list and vote on the list. The book with the highest vote count will go first, and so forth. Since you know the order, then you can choose to participate when you're fav is next.

And yes, I think it's best that the book be available to everyone by way of an on-line site or library. Spending money is not my favorite thing to do when I can acheive the same result for free.
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#20 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

EE - if you want to be an excellent writer, you MUST open yourself to non-fantasy books. Good authors have read, and continue to read, all types of books which is what makes them excellent writers.

I disagree. A good author should read, but the subject matter doesn't really matter. I'd say the better thing to do is aim for a wide variety of authors, not genres.

Suggestion then, why not have a list and vote on the list. The book with the highest vote count will go first, and so forth. Since you know the order, then you can choose to participate when you're fav is next.

And yes, I think it's best that the book be available to everyone by way of an on-line site or library. Spending money is not my favorite thing to do when I can acheive the same result for free.

Voting maybe, but if you want to be involved you have to read all the books. I can easily foresee a situation where someone posts an obscure favorite of theirs, and since no one has heard of it they'll all back out and wait for the next book. If you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound, no matter which books get chosen. You don't get to back out because you don't think you'll like someone's choice. If you don't like it, bring it up when we're finished, because all books should deserve a chance instead arbitrary excuses not to be read.

And, that being said, I'm actually leaning against voting. The concept is for everyone to choose one book. No one's going to choose a bad book out of spite. They're going to choose one of their favorites so that they can share their tastes with everyone. If you think right now that you're not going to like a book, then I say don't join. *shrug*

However, one of the prerequisites for the book should be that no one else in this book club of ours has read it (I suppose it's all right if said person(s) say it's all right to have that book... I know there are some books I've read I wouldn't say no to rereading). That means when we get into the posting phase it's very possible you might have to come up with second or third choices.
-The Tick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users